Loss of power 2003 1800R 112,000 miles - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Loss of power 2003 1800R 112,000 miles

Intermittent loss of power so I preformed these tasks without fixing problem. Each task preformed yielded more power(back to glory days power) but the bike still cut in and out. Big power for a bit to wondering if I was going to make it home power. I re did ground check, checked plugs, removed tank and pulled fuel pump assembly and installed new fuel filter(Napa auto parts $5.29), checked vacuum hoses, trimmed coil wires, checked for broken wires under seat and still problem exists. Had a thought and wiggled wires coming out of the back of the headlamp. Friggin BINGO!! The harness going under tank. Push harness down and sputter. Lift harness up and smooth idle. Yes and crap at them same time. Pulled tank again took a quick look. I can't see it yet but I'm closing in on this SOB like a seal team on Osama Bin Laden.
nate6966 and Randman like this.

Last edited by Charlie_C; 05-17-2017 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Garage
Take a look at the main harness where the injector cables breakout.
Some problems with wires shorting to the cable clip holding the harness to the frame.
nate6966 and Randman like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, was wondering where exactly to start.
nate6966 likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM

Wifes 18R dropped the rear cylinder this winter in Arizona. Like the OP, lots of head scratching. The harness was pulled up tight to the frame with a snap tie and one of the rear coil wires coming out of the harness rubbed through and grounded out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
Valkrider - I see in 2005 you had another issue on the 18R harness.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Hans & Feet

Yes. Don't remember if it was you or Coyote 4968 that gave me a hand. The issue was intermitent contact in the relays. Another head scratcher. My sister owns that VTX now and still purrs

Warren
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
Hans & Feet
Yes. Don't remember if it was you or Coyote 4968 that gave me a hand. The issue was intermitent contact in the relays. Another head scratcher. My sister owns that VTX now and still purrs Warren
It was Coyote 4968.
I was a new guy in 2005, knew nothing about the VTX.
A new retiree and riding my new toy was all I wanted.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

So I pulled the tank and started following wires. Unwrapped a portion of the harness and found nothing. I did have a kinda loose wire that goes to front coil. Pinched the fitting and pushed it back on.
Pulled headlamp bucket off of bike (total clusterfk inside of bucket) and found several wires where I could see copper. Fixed that.
Tonight I'll put tank on and see how we did. Will keep you posted.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Do you have a fuel manager? That should have been the first question..
Vampire clips break wire strands.

The "common electronics ground" eyelet has 4 wires on it.
Green/Black is the VSS and speedo/odomdeter ground
Green/Pink are two wires directly to the ECM.
A larger Green wire goes to a 14 pin Yellow connector block that is the Ground Buss for all the other
Green wires to the lights, fan motor, one ECM wire and all the lights.
Wrapped in tape a few inches from the ECM.
One 04 1800 owner fixed his problem by grounding several of the green wires at other places..
Check carefully. Harness clips to frame have caused a few issues. One picture I remember looks like one of
the wires was hooked over a tab on the frame...
2004 vtx 1800 looses power, cuts out, stalls

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 05-19-2017 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Addressed the copper issue. Not like I'd have liked to but the best I could with electrical tape. I see a solder gun in my future. Tank back on and fired it up, sounded good. Moved the harness around a bit but I secured it so it won't move very much at all. Went for a little ride. Turns, bumps, throttled it. The loose coil plug and the raw copper where the things I believe caused my trouble. I have a minimal amount of money and a lot of time into getting it back on the road but really when it's said and done I've enjoyed fixing it without taking it to the shop and dumping a bunch of money into it. Riding all weekend so fingers are crossed. Good day guys.
Hans&Feet likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page