New guy with a few Q's - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

New guy with a few Q's

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a 02 1800C from the original owner. 3000 miles and not used for 8 years!!
I know I need to change ALL fluids and the tires but first I have fuel issues.
I pulled the tank and removed the fuel pump assembly. Looked real bad! Rust and crud.
I ordered a new FP assembly and FP regulator. Do you think the injectors will be OK?
Do I need to pull the throttle body and clean that also?
My plan is to clean the tank, replace the FP assembly and FP regulator and try to fire it up.
What do you think?? I'll do the ground fix at the same time. Anything else?
I only paid $1500 for the bike but I think in the end I'll end up spending more than it's worth.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
Sounds like you have a new bike that was just not used. That being said you will need to go thru it all. New battery an FPR for sure. Injectors should be ok. Use only(Ethanol free if able) regular gas. I'd add some Techron to first few tanks since bike has hardly ever run. After some work and TLC you should have a nice bike at a good price.

Welcome aboard.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Do not clean throttle body ever.
Check tank for rust it may need to be coated inside.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Injectors have a fine screen on fuel intake port.
It could be clogged.
Remove, inspect, clean with carb cleaner.
You can put 12v on momentarily to activate the injector. About 1 amp current draw.
Injector "On" you may be able to spray cleaner through it.
Some people have taken injectors to a diesel injector company to clean and test.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:26 PM

In addition I would recommend closely examining the wiring harness and looking for broken connections, rot, and perhaps cleaning the grounds up like the tutorial walks you through. How are the tires? ANY sign of cracking or bulging on sidewalls is an immediate remove and replace. Lube up the cables and check brakes are sliding properly.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:36 PM

Take the battery to an auto parts dealer, after fully charging it, and have it 100 amp load tested. Sitting that long, it could have a weak cell or 2, show 12V, and still give you problems. Tires that old need replaced, have gotten hard, not much grip, regardless of tread left. ALL fluids need changing every 2-3 years: clutch, brake fluid, final oil, fork oil. These are all hygroscopic, drawing moisture which turns to crud. While changing tires, with the rear off, give the final splines a light coating of MOLY paste. Small tube lasts many years. You might not find MOLY 60 anymore, but I believe Loctite has a MOLY 77 good substitute. DO NOT use a Moly GREASE, once hot, it slings it all over the place. Once all your maintenance updates have been addressed, you can ride with confidence, and THEN we can help you to spend your $$ on upgrades and modifications to make her "just yours".

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 AM

Cool

Welcome to the VTX forum from Daytona Beach, have fun and ride safely.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.
I will replace tires for sure. Already picked up a new battery.
I am now just waiting for all the parts I ordered to come in.
Can't wait to hear this beast fire up!
Before this bike a had a Suzuki 1500LC and I thought that bike was big.
The 1800 is a monster!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman69 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.
I will replace tires for sure. Already picked up a new battery.
I am now just waiting for all the parts I ordered to come in.
Can't wait to hear this beast fire up!
Before this bike a had a Suzuki 1500LC and I thought that bike was big.
The 1800 is a monster!
While not necessary, a Battery Tender Jr. or PLUS can be a good investment for the extended life of your new battery. Hopefully a OEM Yuasa. Some of us have had others, that do not last or perform like the Yuasa OEM.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Garage
Might want to pull plugs and spray some fogging oil or something similar in the cylinders if you haven't turn it over yet. I don't think you'll have more into it than it's worth. You bought it at the right price. These are great bikes. The stock seats are pretty uncomfortable though. I had to buy a couple different seats to get one that was comfortable for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page