• 1 Post By chuck_VTX F
  • 1 Post By 2wheelsforme
  • 1 Post By 2wheelsforme
  • 1 Post By Harkon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
bmc

VTX 1800 Valve Adjustment

how often should you adjust the valves on a VTX 1800 and what are the consequences if you don't
akad likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 PM

VTX 1800 Valve Adjustment

It's recommended every 8k. Especially with low miles.
I'm sure someone much smarter than me can tell us about the consequences.

I just adjusted mine this past Monday. At most they were .001" off. Feels good to make sure it's all in spec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
akad likes this.

2007 VTX1800f 8100mi.
K&N Air Filter, Desmog
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Danielvtx1800f; 05-17-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added to post
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc View Post
how often should you adjust the valves on a VTX 1800 and what are the consequences if you don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielvtx1800f View Post
It's recommended every 8k. Especially with low miles.
I'm sure someone much smarter than me can tell us about the consequences.

I just adjusted mine this past Monday. At most they were .001" off. Feels good to make sure it's all in spec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
bmc likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Garage
Honda Service Manual... its cheap at any price... dealer labor is 100 dollars and hour or MORE...

if valves tighten.. you end up with burnt or cracked valved... NEW VALVE JOB.....
if valves loosen... you damage valve adjusters and or camshaft lobes.... New camshafts, rocker arms and adjusters.

my opinion.
bmc likes this.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 73,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM

Did it once at 30K they were not out of specs. Now have 50 and no plans of doing it again soon. I have never heard of anyone having a problem from not checking valves. Same with my Yamaha, 119K and one check at 40 and no adjustment needed. However I have heard of two cases where an adjustment was attempted with poor outcome, resulting in a redo requirement. Many people say it makes them feel better to have it done. The book says to do it so choose for yourself. A compression test might tell you if you have a problem or if you hear to much valve clacking.
bmc likes this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Have also heard stories of people paying for a check and the shop not doing it but still charging. How would you know unless you mark the bolt heads or something? We all know you need to keep the dealers on their best behavior.
bmc likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Wife rides an 06 18R. This is her third VTX 18 as she miles em up pretty good. 91K on this one and no valve adjust yet. She paid for it and says leave it alone. Less work for me. Bike runs great. I think I hear a little valve noise when it's hot but not much.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:58 PM

The valve adjustment always involves opening the valve lash gap. The exceptions to that is adjuster or cam damage, that's it. Valves on these machines never loosen, and you should always hear a bit of valve noise. If it's quiet in there, be afraid!

What happens is the valve wears into the seat and effectively shortens the distance from the valve stem end to the rocker end. Once that gap closes, the valve will no longer close all of the way. As the engine heats up, the valve lengthens (thermal expansion) and takes up some of the gap. This is why they want the engine dead cold (ambient) before adjusting. At that point, there may still be a bit of gap when the engine is cold. Hot starting will become very difficult and eventually impossible. At that point, you may have already damaged the valves, and possibly the valve seats. Head removal and valve and seat replacement will be needed. If you are really lucky, if it's tough to start when hot, you may be able to get away with just an adjustment. You definitely want to make sure, however, that you never get to this point.

I don't know about the VTX, but valve / seat replacement on my 450 (4 valves/seats but only 1 head) with the head removed is between $500 and $700 US. I wish my 450 had the valve longevity that the VTX does. Oh well, performance has it's price I suppose.
bmc likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page