Honda VTX Forum banner

Replacing tires on VTX 1800N - Any tires people are passionate about?

7K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  BobSill 
#1 ·
I have an '04 vtx1800N. Getting ready to replace the Venom's I'm running on (which I've enjoyed), and wondering if anyone has a strong recommendation for new tires?

#2 ·
Dunlop American Elite and the new Elite 4 tires. Far better mileage than the Avons, like 3 times as far due to their dual compound tires for touring. Had the forerunner of these tires on my Ultra Classic and I changed them at 18,000 miles only because I was gong back out on the road for a long trip again and didn't want to have to find tires on the trip. A guy at the dealer put them on his bike and he said he put another 7,000 miles on them before he had to get new.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/elite-4-2/

#5 ·
Dunlop American Elite and the new Elite 4 tires. Far better mileage than the Avons, like 3 times as far due to their dual compound tires for touring. Had the forerunner of these tires on my Ultra Classic and I changed them at 18,000 miles only because I was gong back out on the road for a long trip again and didn't want to have to find tires on the trip. A guy at the dealer put them on his bike and he said he put another 7,000 miles on them before he had to get new.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/elite-4-2/
I had the Dunlop American Elites on my Harley as well, and I can say they are a long lasting tire. I was told the Metzler 888 will last as long, and my price was much better, so I'm giving them a try. If not, I'll be back on the American EWlite's or the E4s next change.

#4 ·
The Avons you have been running are one of the best in my OP and what I run. I have used the E-3s a bunch on another brand bike and like them much. I think the E-4s will be a great tire but have heard some negatives like they do track tar snakes and are a bit noisy. Still would be my second choice after the less expensive Avons. But I'm sure any of the top name tires will do a good job. I do stay away from the lower tier tires like Shinko and Kenda. Also will not buy Pirelli again after a terrible experience.

#28 ·
I bought my '06 1800C with Pirelli Night Dragons on it. I don't know much about their treadwear yet (I've only put about 1400 miles on them), but I'm very happy with the grip and ride. Not to hijack the thread, but 2wheels, what turned you against Pirelli?

#6 ·
I find I'm most passionate about the tires I'm taking off the bike, considering all the fond memories I built with them.

As far as new tires going on, I've always been happy with the awesome grip and performance Metzelers have given me. However, our relationships only last around 8-9k miles for a rear tire.

I'd be happy to try Michelin Commander IIs, Elite 3 or 4s, Venoms, etc. if my timing ever hits the right sales

#9 ·
I find I'm most passionate about the tires I'm taking off the bike, considering all the fond memories I built with them.

As far as new tires going on, I've always been happy with the awesome grip and performance Metzelers have given me. However, our relationships only last around 8-9k miles for a rear tire.

I'd be happy to try Michelin Commander IIs, Elite 3 or 4s, Venoms, etc. if my timing ever hits the right sales

I would be satisfied with any of those four you named. A friend says he does not like the wet traction on the Michelin, never tried one myself. Almost all brands have someone saying something they don't like about a certain brand. I've run Metzelers before with good results but several people complain about chunks of rubber separating from the tread. It is amazing at the difference in mileage different people get out of tires. I think it is more the person/riding habits and air pressure maintenance than the brand.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies - gave me a good short list to compare against.

One follow on question - are most of you finding your tires online or local? If online, let me know your favorite online store.

I bought my last tires online and took them to have them mounted.

#10 ·
Since most of us have to have a shop put the tires on, I will find a good price on-line for the items I want then bring that print out to the shop so he can try to match it. Most will come close to matching it and then I let them buy and install to help keep the local business open

#8 ·
I have had great results with Shinko, believe it or not! I do run a car tire on the rear but the front I am on my 2nd Shinko 230 Tour Master. The first one I got more than 23,000 out of and the second I have a little over 16,000 on with quite a bit of tread left.

Dan

#13 ·
Dan,

On your 07 vtx1800N, how wide is the car tire you put on the rear? I haven't really explored going dark on the back - but am curious. With the extended rear fender of the N, do you get much of a visually different look? If you can send any pic of the rear tire on the bike it would be enjoyed/appreciated.

Craig

#20 ·
I have looked and looked for a few pics from the rear with the ct but can't find any. Its raining right now or I would go out and snap a couple. We are supposed to have sunshine tomorrow, so I'll get a pic or two. I have a 195/55-16 on there now, original ct was a 185/55-16. I know guys say a 205 will fit but I kinda like to have some room to play with. Its not hard to get the wheel/tire under the fender, just have to jack it up high enough

I ran the ct and Shinko in the Black Hills around Sturgis for more than 2000 miles in 2 weeks and both handles great, even in a rain storm.

Dan

#14 ·
I've always run Metzlers 880 on mine after stock Shadow 1100 needed replacing, I tried them on VTX once then switched to Avon Cobra. I really like them.
For a tire I look for #1 how they hold the road, how quiet they are, how smooth they are then how long they last. To me the cobra is the perfect combination of all the above for the heavy cruiser.
There are many good ones as mentioned in this thread by several experienced guys. It boils down to personal preference and individual rider's needs.

#17 ·
I'm in-line with your tire priorities and have loved my Avon Venoms. That said, I was lucky to get 6K on them, so I'm hoping I can find a tire that sticks to the road, is quiet, and can get me to double digit K miles. How many miles do you have on your Avons?

#19 ·
I'm not finding the Dunlop American Elite for my N model. I do find the E3 and the E4 coming up for my bike. Let me know if that sounds right, or if you would have thought the American Elites would have fit.

Of the E3 and E4, I'm leaning towards the E3 as I don't like the looks/thought of a continuous groove around the center of the tire; and the E3 has a similar tread pattern as the Venoms I've been happy with.

I like what I'm learning of the Metzler, but not getting clear on their model that would work on an N.

Thanks for your input - helpful.

fyi - I spent a lot of time in St. Charles when I worked for Andersen Consulting/Accenture, and relocated to Atlanta area from Wilmette, IL in 2015.

#21 ·
Dan,

Look forward to seeing your pics if you get some sunshine!

In the meantime, couple questions:

Sounds like you can fit at least a 200mm wide tire into the rear fender. Are you using the stock vtx rim or a different rim?

Any difference in turning, angling, leaning the bike with the ct on the rear?

How's the noise level and road feel from the tire?

Thanks,

Craig

#22 ·
Craig, sent you a pm. I am using the stock N wheel and yes you can fit a 200 motorcycle tire in the N fender and on the stock wheel. The only thing I had to get used to was the low speed turns. Noise is not a problem, the engine noise is louder than tire noise, and ct grabs the road real good, especially on stopping power. A few years ago I was coming back from Daytona in the evening in the rain and had to make a quick emergency stop...straight and true.

Dan

#30 · (Edited)
I like Metzlers, Bridgestone and Avons, I won't put another pair of Dunnies on my VTXes. My first VTX 1800R (2002) I put over 136,000 miles on it and so probably 14-15 sets of tires. I had a set of Dunnies cup at about 6K, I had another set show cord at 7 and most recently on my 03 when I bought it the tires looked pretty new and I also knew the guy that owned the bike didn't ride alot. So the tires might have been a few years old, but even so, coming back from a trip to WA and back to NorCal I came out to the bike after gassing and getting a cuppa joe...it should have been my 2nd to the last gas stop before home... but I look at the rear tire, white cord all the way around, front tire same thing. Because I was 4 hours from home stranded it cost me $670.00 for new rinds plus a night in the hotel and my wife having to come get me while the shop ordered and received the tires 4 days later.

Probably half of my many VTX 1800 tires have been Dunnie 3s and 4s. Never again. I also tried a Michelin 205 car radial. Won't do that again. I got 106,000 on my first final drive, put on a car tire not long after I replaced it and 10K later I was putting another final drive on. Now mind you after the first 80K I ride the bike pretty mellow.
YMMV

#31 ·
18 posts in 11 years....you certainly choose your spots, friend.

#32 ·
Thanks for all the tire thoughts!

Really appreciate everyone's experience with tires on the VTX. I believe my bike came with Dunlop's which weren't my tire and didn't get me to 5K.

Avon's have been my favorite tire, sticky on the turn and brake - however at 55 I don't drive as aggressive as I did, and hoping for performance and more miles!

I looked at almost every tire recommended, so again great community forum - and settled on the Metzler 880's. I like the tread pattern, performance attributes, extended life/miles, and the look for my N.

I'm new to the N. Atlanta area, and couldn't find a good bike shop outside of the big dealers, so I bought the Metzlers online at motorcyclesuperstores.com, and had them put on at a dirt bike shop this weekend.

I put a quick hundred on them going around Stone Mountain area/NE GA - no serious twisties, but they ride smooth, quiet, and stuck to the road at speed when I had to hard stop to avoid a pile up on hwy 285.

I'll post some pics when I get the bike back out this weekend.

Thanks again.

#33 ·
Pretty active when I first joined in '05, but probably hadn't been on the site until recently after moving from CO to IL in 2010. Didn't ride much in IL. I know a lot of people do, but with two young kids, lots of work, and lots of flat corn land - IL wasn't my place to ride. In GA now with kids getting ready for college, new tires on the bike, and Blue Ridge mountains 30m away.....

#34 · (Edited)
You can probably have the Admins revive your old account..
Two Brothers Motorcycle Tires in Lawrenceville used by several people in that area.
Avoid the Interstate in Atlanta area. Bad for your health.
Winding through Winder is usually how I go north to get to the mountains(US129).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.