oil capacity on 2004 VTX 1800 C - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:28 PM

oil capacity on 2004 VTX 1800 C

I recently did my own first oil change. After reading the manual I purchased four quarts of oil. The manual says that the capacity of the case is 3.9 quarts. I drained from both the front and back quarts. After all was done, I seem to be coming up short. When checking the oil as described, the level does not even touch the dip stick. Yes I seated it but did not screw it in as described. If I let the bike down on the kick stand, it does register.
Is there something I am missing. Maybe the capacity of the filter is not included in the manual.
Any ideas from others who have done many of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:34 PM

My book says put it on the sidestand (aka kickstand) warm it up and then hold the bike upright And yes I edited my post after my lack of attention to detail was pointed out

Page 78 in the 03 C model book.

2003 Red Custom
2013 HD Road Glide Ultra
God Bless America!!!!
Support our Troops!!!
Air CAV
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Re: oil capacity on 2004 VTX 1800 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantucce
I recently did my own first oil change. After reading the manual I purchased four quarts of oil. The manual says that the capacity of the case is 3.9 quarts. I drained from both the front and back quarts. After all was done, I seem to be coming up short. When checking the oil as described, the level does not even touch the dip stick. Yes I seated it but did not screw it in as described. If I let the bike down on the kick stand, it does register.
Is there something I am missing. Maybe the capacity of the filter is not included in the manual.
Any ideas from others who have done many of these?
Make sure you have removed both drain plugs and replaced your oil filter. Then replace with 4 quarts of oil. The residue left in the containers will amount to 0.1 Quarts (Manual states 3.9 quarts to fill). Don't be concerned about the dipstick as they are not accurate. When checking the oil do NOT check with the bike on the side stand. Make sure youíre on a level surface and the bike is upright. Mark your dipstick with a scribe line for reference when checking at a later date.

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w322/1BigV1/1629MVC-033S.jpg
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:31 PM

I think that they owner's manual is wrong about part of the procedure. On my X, with 3.9 quarts in it, it barely registers on the dipstick if I just 'set' the dipstick in the hole. When I screw it in the oil comes right about to the 'full' mark. I think you need to screw it in to check it. But maybe that's just my X...

Rob

2003 Illusion Blue VTX 1800C (new 5/05). 2008 CBR1000RR in Winning Red. 2012 Victory Cross Country Imperial Blue
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theX
My book says put it on the sidestand (aka kickstand) to check it.

Page 78 step one in the 03 C model book.
Perhaps you should re-read that section...
Do not check the oil with the bike on the side stand.
The manual states to
1) Park your motorcycle on its side stand on a firm level surface.
2) Start the engine and let it idle for 3 - 5 minutes.
3) Stop the engine and wait 2 - 3 minutes.
4) Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.
5) Hold the motorcycle in an upright position.
6) Insert the dipstick until it seats but don't screw it in.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:42 PM

Re: oil capacity on 2004 VTX 1800 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantucce
Maybe the capacity of the filter is not included in the manual.
The service manual states that the oil capacity after draining is 3.7 Quarts. After draining and changing the oil filter the capacity is 3.9 quarts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 AM

Guys, I'm glad this topic came up again, as I recently found something that may be of interest to all of you...

Every oil and filter change I've done, I've put in 4 quarts. Yes, the manual only calls for 3.9 quarts, but everyone here says, "Pour 4 quarts quickly and be done with it," so that's what I've done. At one point, I checked my oil and found that when the engine was hot, the level was above the upper mark on the dipstick, but I didn't think too much of it, because as I said, the advice is to pour 4 quick quarts and call it good. Anyway, I recently replaced my clutch and found the inside of the clutch cover was full of oily foam. This tells me one of two things: Either there's water in my crankcase, which I don't feel is the case, or 2) The crankshaft is whipping the oil into a froth. The reason for that would be too much oil in the crankcase. After I installed my new clutch and put everything back together, I used a Ratio Rite and filled the crankcase with 120 oz. (3.75 qts.) of oil. I then ran the bike to see if there were any leaks coming from the new filter or around the drain bolts and took 'er for a blast. When I got home, I let 'er sit for 5 minutes or so, then had "the wife" hold the bike upright while I checked the oil level. I then added oil to bring the hot level right to the bottom edge of the top-most mark on the dipstick. Since then I've put more than 500 miles on the bike and have had absolutely zero problems. From now on, I'm putting in just enough oil to hit the upper mark of the dipstick when the engine is hot -- no more, no less. IMO, you should be filling your crankcase with just enough oil to hit that mark when the engine is hot and the oil's had a chance to settle back to the bottom of the case. And remember, whether the engine's hot or cold, as long as the oil comes between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick, you're operating with a safe amount of oil.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Riding like my ass is on fire since 1982.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:52 AM

O.K., Does the dipstick measure the oil in the tank, or in the crankcase? This is a dry sump system, that's why there are two drain plugs.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKLR
Guys, I'm glad this topic came up again, as I recently found something that may be of interest to all of you...

Every oil and filter change I've done, I've put in 4 quarts. Yes, the manual only calls for 3.9 quarts, but everyone here says, "Pour 4 quarts quickly and be done with it," so that's what I've done. At one point, I checked my oil and found that when the engine was hot, the level was above the upper mark on the dipstick, but I didn't think too much of it, because as I said, the advice is to pour 4 quick quarts and call it good. Anyway, I recently replaced my clutch and found the inside of the clutch cover was full of oily foam. This tells me one of two things: Either there's water in my crankcase, which I don't feel is the case, or 2) The crankshaft is whipping the oil into a froth. The reason for that would be too much oil in the crankcase. After I installed my new clutch and put everything back together, I used a Ratio Rite and filled the crankcase with 120 oz. (3.75 qts.) of oil. I then ran the bike to see if there were any leaks coming from the new filter or around the drain bolts and took 'er for a blast. When I got home, I let 'er sit for 5 minutes or so, then had "the wife" hold the bike upright while I checked the oil level. I then added oil to bring the hot level right to the bottom edge of the top-most mark on the dipstick. Since then I've put more than 500 miles on the bike and have had absolutely zero problems. From now on, I'm putting in just enough oil to hit the upper mark of the dipstick when the engine is hot -- no more, no less. IMO, you should be filling your crankcase with just enough oil to hit that mark when the engine is hot and the oil's had a chance to settle back to the bottom of the case. And remember, whether the engine's hot or cold, as long as the oil comes between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick, you're operating with a safe amount of oil.
Oily foam ??? I have to ask . What oil are you using??

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
O.K., Does the dipstick measure the oil in the tank, or in the crankcase? This is a dry sump system, that's why there are two drain plugs.
I don't know what you mean by a "dry sump system".
The clutch is a wet system and the engine oil lubricates the clutch plates as well as the internal parts of your engine. The two drain plugs are to insure all areas are fully drained as there are recessed areas that will not completely drain with only 1 plug removed. When you re-fill with oil, you fill all the recessed area back up.

Quote:
I posted this on the 1800 board awhile back. Thought it might be useful.
Although I have seen this topic discussed on other threads, I have never seen a post explaining how much oil is lost when only the Oil Filter is changed.
I needed to change the oil in my 1800 today so I decided to find out.
I pulled the old oil filter and let it drain for about 15 minutes. I found that exactly 6 ounces drained out (including the oil that was in the oil filter).

So if your running synthetic oil and just want to change the oil filter, you will need to replace 6 ounces of oil.

I then wanted to know how much oil was left in the crankcase if the front plug was not removed during an oil change.
I pulled the bottom plug and let it drain completely. After the bottom plug was drained I removed the front plug and measured 9 ounces that drained from the front.
I donít know if this is useful information or not, but I figured it couldnít hurt to post it.

BIGV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page