Boss mc400 wiring - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Boss mc400 wiring

Just purchased a boss mc400 trying to get some ideals how different people wired up the unit any help would be grateful. Was thinking of hard wiring straight to battery using 5a inline fuse then adding a toggle switch to turn it off. This way i can listen to it without turning bike on. Thanks for any help.

TRY SOMETHING TWICE BEFORE YOU TELL ME YOU DON'T LIKE IT

2006 1300R SILVER SADDLEMAN SLANTS-NC WINDSHIELD-PALLADIN GUARDS-BESTEEM BACKEST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 PM

I'm curious as to what you find out, since my son got me a set of amplified speakers to go on the bike for Christmas. However, I think most folks simply wire them to the key switch, so that when the key is turned off, it won't continue draining your battery. Believe me, you really DON'T want to be stuck anywhere with a dead battery! If you're determined to wire it straight to the battery, I would suggest you make sure that you have good jumper cables in your saddlebags, or at least the 'battery clip' connector for your battery tender/charger connector, to make it easier to 'jump start' the bike, without having to get directly to the battery.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Question Where to connect Switched Power?

jammerwalker is NOT KIDDING!! I accidentally left my key in and switched on last summer while a friend and I had lunch (about 2 hours), and my bike was completely dead when I got back to it. Luckily, I was parked in a strip mall parking lot with a nice long downhill space which I was able to use (with my friend's help!) to jump-start it.

The reason that I'm replying to this thread however, is that I just bought a powered radio for 2005 VTX 1300R, and I need the best advise on where/how to wire up the switched wire. The radio has a total of 5 wires:

1. Radio antenna
2. Bluetooth antenna
3. Battery anode (fused)
4. Battery cathode
5. Switched power (to prevent a similar situation as above)

Thanks for all helpful & knowledgeable replies!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 PM

Before I returned my unit, I had it 90% installed.
If you remove your battery/tool box you can mount it to the inner part of the tool box.

I wired mine with the fuse and a relay. I had switched power from the headlight bucket, frame ground and I don't recall now how I had the battery, but my main source was from the headlight.

I had the switch for the amp and a place for the volume control temp zip tied to the handle bars.

If you do a search, on here you can find my and the other members post about it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_vtx View Post
If you remove your battery/tool box you can mount it to the inner part of the tool box.
I don't understand this comment, I should have mentioned my exact unit (
Amazon Amazon
). It's a simply unit that mounts directly to the handlebars.

Quote:
I wired mine with the fuse and a relay. I had switched power from the headlight bucket, frame ground and I don't recall now how I had the battery, but my main source was from the headlight.
What's this relay that everyone uses? Do I need that? I like the headlight idea for the switched power (because that would completely prevent power flow to the unit when the bike is switched off. I assume that tapping into it won't damage or cause low light issues with my headlight?

Since this probably solves my switched power lead connection, is there any problem with simply wiring the + and - straight to the battery terminals?

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this comment, I should have mentioned my exact unit (
Amazon Amazon
). It's a simply unit that mounts directly to the handlebars.

Quote:
What's this relay that everyone uses? Do I need that? I like the headlight idea for the switched power (because that would completely prevent power flow to the unit when the bike is switched off. I assume that tapping into it won't damage or cause low light issues with my headlight?

Since this probably solves my switched power lead connection, is there any problem with simply wiring the + and - straight to the battery terminals?

Thanks

2005 Honda VTX 1300R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page