rattle at 30mph - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Red face rattle at 30mph

i have encountered a rattle at 30 mph on accel or decel or if you hold the speed there only if you are by yourself.. i have tightened all visible bolts that i can see but nothing changes... any ideas? its driving me crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Headlight rattle?

Look it up in the threads Headlight Rattle I think this might be ur problem--maybe the shocks rotate the top cover or get progressive shocks

BiG BeNcH 400 205
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman5157 View Post
i have encountered a rattle at 30 mph on accel or decel or if you hold the speed there only if you are by yourself.. i have tightened all visible bolts that i can see but nothing changes... any ideas? its driving me crazy
I've had the EXACT same problem. Never been able to lock it down. Originally I had a rattle in my speedo which I fixed but the 30mph rattle seems to be coming from somewhere in the front of the engine but I cannot find anything loose that would cause the rattle. It only happens at exactly 30mph just a little over or under and it goes away. Very strange.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Ride: 2006 VTX1300C
Current Ride: 2011 Yamaha Stryker
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM

I had a rattle that turned out to be the small silicon rubber grommet that isolates the heat shield needed to be replaced.

2007 VTX1300C, VTX1800R handlebars, Invicta Motorsports fairing, Cobra highway bar, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Mustang seat, NC Cruiseliner saddlebags, Hondaline heel and toe shifter, DMY trunk, All Balls, Walmart Lights, Veypor VP2 Computer
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM

30 mph rattle

i had the same issue with my xr and as some one said the speedo always rattles on these bikes. fixed that and it was still there so i kept on looking and found it to be the radiator cover at a certain speed, so a black zip tie through the mesh and around the frame fixed that also. these rattles come and go.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Might also check your horn bracket. I had a similar rattle, drove me nuts. Finally found that the horn bracket was vibrating. Tightened it up, all is well. Just a thought.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2004 VTX1300S
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks guys! I'll check these clues out. This thing has drove me nuts for a couple of years. I had to replace one of the rubber gromets on the rear cyclinder pipe about 2 years ago. I will check the front cylinder head as well as the horn bracket and the radiator cover. Thanks for the tips!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Ok, so far no luck in finding the rattle. Weird thing is that rattle disappears when riding with my wife in the back. Can't explain it. If it is just me, I get the 30mph rattle. I hear it when I am decelerating and it hits the 30 mark briefly or if I drive at 30mph, it is a constant rattle. Just not if my wife is on the back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 PM

Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venjurak View Post
I've had the EXACT same problem. Never been able to lock it down. Originally I had a rattle in my speedo which I fixed but the 30mph rattle seems to be coming from somewhere in the front of the engine but I cannot find anything loose that would cause the rattle. It only happens at exactly 30mph just a little over or under and it goes away. Very strange.
What did you do to fix the speedometer rattle? I just put a tank bib on my 09 1300 r and I now have a rattle from the speedometer....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:09 PM

Rattles, noise from speedometer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke730 View Post
What did you do to fix the speedometer rattle? I just put a tank bib on my 09 1300 r and I now have a rattle from the speedometer....

I isolated the noise directly from the speedometer...to do this, try at around 30 mph, carefully, press down on glass on speedometer . If things quiet down, then you have a bit of a loose cover. To fix it, I took a hair braide, or a rubber band will work, and"pinch" it into the space between the glass and the chrome. To get a really good "pinch", use a fine edged screw diver to push it in. Once done the noise will stop .

"Hope is a good thing...maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies"

2005 Honda Neo Retro VTX 1800 Cobalt blue, stock pipes, new dunlop tires (both) ...Kuryakyn Iso grips with throttle boss, aluminum running boards, Windshield with chrome accents no tint, quick release saddlebags, Mustang seats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page