Replace Brake Pads - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Replace Brake Pads

I need to replace my front brake pads. The VTX Service Manual gives little info on how to do this. It looks according to the manual you do not remove the caliper? How can you push in the caliper piston without removing the caliper? I know this may sound dumb, but I don't want do more work than needed to replace the pads.
Thanks

'06VTX1300R Bright Blue Metallic, Cobra Slash Cut Pipes, Mustang Saddle, Tour Master Bags, Memphis Shades 19" Removed Badges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:05 PM

You will see a small flat screw plug. Remove it. Under it is an allen bolt/brake pin. Remove it and your pads will fall out once you've spread them by pushing in the caliper pistons. You can use a large screwdriver to do this by prying between the pads and disc. You may even be able to do it by pressing in on the brake assembly and then pulling back towards you. When placing the new pads, be sure the front ends(without the bolt hole) is properly placed. Also, be sure the spring clip is replaced. Do NOT overtighten the brake pin or it is a bear to remove the next ime. Be very sure to pump your brakes to bring the pads back in contact before you go riding. Don't ask how I know.

'99 Valkyrie

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, its an attitude.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Jack !

'06VTX1300R Bright Blue Metallic, Cobra Slash Cut Pipes, Mustang Saddle, Tour Master Bags, Memphis Shades 19" Removed Badges.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX.
The VTXOA Garage has a page or two on replacing the pads

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Ditto Spike !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page