Why is my 1300 running rough? Please help! - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Why is my 1300 running rough? Please help!

I have a 2004 Honda VTX 1300 R with only 3000 miles on it. I admit, I do not ride it as much as I should. Everytime I do ride it, I run all the gas out of the carb. The last month or so, when I start it and run it, it stutters and gasps when I apply full throttle in almost any gear. I have checked and replaced the plugs and just today filler her up with nice new gas. Since I owned it, I added V and H pipes and rejetted when I lived in Houston. Now, I live in El Paso which is higher elevation but it has not always dones this. Any ideas? Think carb is gummed up?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

It would be a good place to start. Carbs that are run dry but the float bowls left full, develop gum/varnish rapidly. If you are going to continue that process I suggest adding a bit of "Seafoam" to the tank beforehand and let that run through the carb before shutting it down.

Try some Techron Fuel System Cleaner, if that doesn't clean it all out, then you gotta take the carb apart for proper cleaning

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike
Carbs that are run dry but the float bowls left full, develop gum/varnish rapidly.
Now I'm worried. I took advice from someone on this board and turned off the fuel and let the engine die the last time I rode mine (December). Do you think I'll get varnish build up? Should I start it up and run gas through it?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike
It would be a good place to start. Carbs that are run dry but the float bowls left full, develop gum/varnish rapidly. If you are going to continue that process I suggest adding a bit of "Seafoam" to the tank beforehand and let that run through the carb before shutting it down.

Try some Techron Fuel System Cleaner, if that doesn't clean it all out, then you gotta take the carb apart for proper cleaning
I don't know about the gumming being worse if it's run dry, but I've owned 4 bikes, and never once intentionally ran the gas out of any of them. One of them (when I lived in a colder climate) used to sit all for at least 3 or 4 months straight each winter, and I never had any problems whatsoever.

I never added any type of winterizing chemical to the gas during storage, either. All of my lawnmowers have always gone through the same procedure - just park for the winter, and crank back up next spring.

Eddie

2004 Red 1300S, Clayton Mod, Ultim. LowRider w/ Driv & Pass Backrests, wishmasterg Riser, Cobra Eng Grd w/ Floorbrds, Pass. Floorbrds, Honda Dlx Sissy Bar&Dlx Luggage Rack, Lightbar, 19" Memphis Wndshld, Memphis Lowers, TourMaster Zipper-Removable Bags, HDL Fender Tip, Chrome V-Radiator, Freeway Blasters, Turn Signal Beeper, Remote-Controlled LED Lighting, Backoff Module, X-Hinge, Garmin 2610 GPS
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Fuel back even a few years ago, didn't have all these additives. The additives make the fuel less stabil than it should be and turns to varnish in a relatively short while. It is even worse up here in the mid west. It wouldn't hurt to clean out the carb, starting with a tank additive like Techron

AMA Life Member 721314
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Due to your practice of letting the carb bowl empty out I would bet that you have a stuck float.

2005 1300C, Mustang seat, JCW Floorboards, Memphis shades windshield and lowers, Harley Softail mufflers, leather bags, cobra mini-backrest with oem helmet lock added, 1800S handlebars, Motorcycletunes speakers, Peacefulcruisin tank bib with ipod pocket, 140 db 12v horn, vista-cruise.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Seat Dr

If you use the choke allot it is very possable that the plugs are fouled...been there done that...more than once

[SIGPIC]http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3860&dateline=1226248 568[/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to curve10780
I let mine sit the first winter I had it and when I crancked it the next spring it was running like that. I got to looking and all of my factory vacum lines were cracked and busted. I change those out and my problem was fixed. As far as running the gas out? There is no need to do that but if it is going to sit awhile stabil or seafoam will definitely help, but if it doesn't sit for 6 months or longer you shouldn't need anything. I'm just like eddie. I don't do anything to any of my equipment just turn it off in fall and crank it in spring. But I would definitely check the vacum lines.

Money can help with happiness but it won't make it perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by curve10780
There is no need to do that but if it is going to sit awhile stabil or seafoam will definitely help, but if it doesn't sit for 6 months or longer you shouldn't need anything. .
This is not true in all places in the US. Up here in the mid west gas will start going stale in as little as 4 weeks with no stabilizer in it. This is due to all the crap the politicians have the fuel companies add to the fuel. Don't believe me, just call any motorcycle, lawn mower, farm machinery shop and ask them what they see the most of. They will all tell you, carb rebuilds due to gas going bad.
Since we don't know where the original poster is from, I suggested the carbs being gummed up because that is what my area is most familiar with being the problem.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
prs

Our gas here in WV goes funky pretty dern quick! It gets that characteristic sour mop water smell to it and dark amber varnis will be forming on surfaces. Its easier to avoid than it is to clean-up. Stabil works. Like Spike said, Techroline seems to be the best cleaner additive. Checking for deteriorated vacuum lines is good to. Your '04 should not have a fuel pump, but does have a vacuum line to operate the gravity feed fuel valve -- loss of vacuum could give you fuel starvation.

prs

"To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

2004C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page