LED tail/brake replacement for 1157 bulb ? - VTXOA
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sshake1905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
Posts: 230
Send a message via Yahoo to sshake1905
LED tail/brake replacement for 1157 bulb ?

Old school and basically ignorant about LED lights...just know they are much brighter and easier to see....

can anyone give me guidance about and where to find a LED bulb, or unit, that will plug and play in the 1157 socket of my stock taillight on my 2007 Honda VTX 1300 C ?? Is there such an animal out there?

I have stock red lens and would like to keep it and.... do these LED replacement units come in different angles of projection or reflections ?? because the taillight on the VTX doesn't face rearward at 90 degrees Thanks for any help and guidence...

Steve
sshake1905 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Member
 
poopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
Old school and basically ignorant about LED lights...just know they are much brighter and easier to see....

can anyone give me guidance about and where to find a LED bulb, or unit, that will plug and play in the 1157 socket of my stock taillight on my 2007 Honda VTX 1300 C ?? Is there such an animal out there?

I have stock red lens and would like to keep it and.... do these LED replacement units come in different angles of projection or reflections ?? because the taillight on the VTX doesn't face rearward at 90 degrees Thanks for any help and guidence...

Steve
Go to superbrightleds.com They have what you want. If you are going to go with LEDs pickup the replacement signal flasher so the leds blink like they are suppose to. You will need the LF1-S-Flat relay flasher and duel element 1157 bulbs of your choice. They are brighter and draw less power. Good luck
poopster is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Member
 
rs42sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: glenview, Il
Posts: 90
Talking

If you can wait a week or so till i get the best led i found out then you would have to waste any money buying superbrights led or vleds or the stuff on ebay. Heres my thread look it over before you buy.... No more sewing machine!

steven
rs42sport is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Member
 
rs42sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: glenview, Il
Posts: 90
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopster View Post
If you are going to go with LEDs pickup the replacement signal flasher so the leds blink like they are suppose to. You will need the LF1-S-Flat relay flasher and duel element 1157 bulbs of your choice. They are brighter and draw less power. Good luck
You will only need a flasher if you are going to swap your 1156 turn signals for leds the taillight doesnt need a relay flasher. Now unless you want a brake modulator so that your brake flashes thats the (only) flasher for the taillight.

Steven
rs42sport is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
RandyHut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Troy Ohio Area
Posts: 823
Look at this mod

Look at this Mod: Tail Light Mod @

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

2005 VTX-1300R PAIR done, Stock FURY Pipes, Decapped Airbox, K&N Filter, #210 Main Jet, #58 Pilot Scar Mod with 1 shims, AF @1.875 turns. 10 Min AF Adjuster, All Balls, Nylon Shock Bushings, 1800F Risers, Avon Front w/Dyna Beads 205/70/15 Grabber UHP rear w/Airsoft Pellets, J&P $40 Passenger Floor Boards, LED Red Run/Stop Lights in Yellow lens, Rotella T6 Synthetic 5-40w Ultimate Seats! Headlight Relay
RandyHut is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sshake1905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
Posts: 230
Send a message via Yahoo to sshake1905
LED 1157 tail/brake bulb replacement problem

I went to NAPA today and bought a "StreetGlow" brand direct replacement for my 1157 bulb on my 07 VTX 1300c....Red LED bulb because my rear lens cover is Red...

Put the LED bulb in the socket where old 1157 was, turned on key and I had tail light...but when I hit rear foot brake, NO BRAKE LIGHT...when I grabbed the front brake lever...NO BRAKE LIGHT....what's the deal? the bulb only fits the socket one way....

I tried my newly install MBW strip LED rear turn signals...left and right side both worked fine.....with no increase in flash rate per second over old signals... I did not replace the stock VTX 1300 flasher unit when I installed the LED turn signal srtips (w/ 65 LEDs on right and 65 LEDs on the left) because the blink rate did not increase....

But...does anyone know why I would have a tail light, but no brake light with this simple 12 LED 1157 replacement plug and play bulb??? I am headed down to NAPA to have bulb tested and try again....

would really appreciate any advice from guys who have replaced 1157 tail./brake bulb with a LED replacement w/ 12 LEDs....Thanks......Steve
sshake1905 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sshake1905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
Posts: 230
Send a message via Yahoo to sshake1905
LED replacement for 1157 tail/brake bulb

Hey...I just got back from trip to NAPA auto parts....and I got lucky...all my problems were caused by a defective, made in China, StreetGlow 12 LED replacement bulb for my 1157....

Guys at NAPA were great.....gave me another bulb, after opening it and testing for consistency...no charge

Took second bulb home, plugged it into 1157 socket in rear light in my bike and all was cool again....goes to show, sometimes we get lucky...

By the way...thanks to all who may have chipped in with LED advice in last few days.....

I was very happy to find that I could replace the rear turn signal bulbs (1156) with a 130 LED strip turn signal array from MBW with single function amber LEDs...AND also replace my stock tail/brake light bulb (1157) with a 12 LED red replacement bulb... without replacing the flasher relay unit, AND without adding a load equalizer...like many said I would need to do....

all I can figure out is that the previous owner might have added a load equalizer, even tho I can't find one wired into the harness anywhere

Thanks for help...Steve
sshake1905 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
dangrousdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hemet, Peoples Republic of California
Posts: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
Hey...I just got back from trip to NAPA auto parts....and I got lucky...all my problems were caused by a defective, made in China, StreetGlow 12 LED replacement bulb for my 1157....

Guys at NAPA were great.....gave me another bulb, after opening it and testing for consistency...no charge

Took second bulb home, plugged it into 1157 socket in rear light in my bike and all was cool again....goes to show, sometimes we get lucky...

By the way...thanks to all who may have chipped in with LED advice in last few days.....

I was very happy to find that I could replace the rear turn signal bulbs (1156) with a 130 LED strip turn signal array from MBW with single function amber LEDs...AND also replace my stock tail/brake light bulb (1157) with a 12 LED red replacement bulb... without replacing the flasher relay unit, AND without adding a load equalizer...like many said I would need to do....

all I can figure out is that the previous owner might have added a load equalizer, even tho I can't find one wired into the harness anywhere

Thanks for help...Steve
I had LEDs in the rear turn signals with out a fast blink rate, put LEDs in the front and had a fast blink rate so then I changed the flasher to a http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_...rd_DOT_Flasher

Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)






dangrousdan is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: south of Houston
Posts: 3,034
Hey sshake1905,

How are those LED bulbs compared to regular ones as to brightness?

Thanks,

Greybeard

2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
2007 VTX 1300 R
2006 VTX 1800 R Trike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]




Greybeard is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
XRiderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 3,531
I bought a Kisan Tailblazer 1157 style bulb from our buddies at HDL and LOVE it... kinda spendy, but it has a built in decreasing flash rate flash to a steady on, has the 1157 base... but it is halogen, not LED. MUCH brighter, good flash... I already notice cages stayin much further back off my azz at lights, or whenever I hit the brakes...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] If you can read this, Thank a teacher; since you're reading it in English; Thank a Veteran! All gave some; Some gave All...
XRiderChuck is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome