2003 VTX vacuum line - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

2003 VTX vacuum line

does anyone know how or where the vacuum fuel line runs after leaving the back of the tank on a 2003 1300 S ? i found the T but one side of it is not connected causing the bike to start but after a few minutes of running dies and is almost impossible to restart ... the petcock has been replaced so i'm thinking this is the problem
thanks
chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
The line that comes off the right rear side of the tank is a vent line. The T is left open to keep fuel from siphoning off the tank. The line should run to the bottom of the bike and be free of bends or kinks to allow the tank to vent.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

thanks W9VD

looks like i'm still at a loss then ... starting to hate this bike .. i appreciate your help though ...
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 AM

The 2003 vtx had fuel pumps that are known to go bad. Remove the pump system is what people have done. The pump isn't needed.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

vtxrosa

do you think that's it ?? she will start and run, then dies after priming with starter fluid she will start and run anywhere once warm .... it's like after a cold start and after the fuel in the carb works it's way through then she hits a time where she gets no gas and once that is over come she runs fine ... i've read everything i can on it and thought it was possibly the petcock ... or possible a vacuum off ... what do you think?
thanks
chuck
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Don't give up on your X, find and fix your problem and you will see what a great bike you have. good luck.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtxrosa View Post
The 2003 vtx had fuel pumps that are known to go bad. Remove the pump system is what people have done. The pump isn't needed.
Good catch. I did not even see the year. You really do not need the pump and if it isn't an issue now it may become one at some point.

Look here: Head light bulb question

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Some 2003s had fuel pumps and some used vacuum activated peacocks. Honda dicontinued fuel pumps in 2003s midway through model year. Easy way to tell is to look at peacock and see if it one or two hoses coming out of it. Fuel pump models will have just one hose going to pump in front of battery box and non fuel pump will have one hose to carb and one vacuum hose coming off peacock. Also check wires coming into ECM on top of battery box for breaks where they connect to it. This too can cause intermittant problems that you describe.

2003 vtx 1300s
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM

It sample to make a test find a gas tank of small motor i take mine at a tool location center ( i use that tank each time i make wranch its easyer and you dont scratch the paint ) ex:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture....ictureid=16265

so plug it direct to the carb. then if it run make a second test and plug the test tank to the fuel pomp if it run the probleme is the petcock if it not run i will disconnect the fuel pomp and plug the petcock direct to the carb. and take of that sh*t you will have to do it some how .

PS You dont need the fuel filter go direct from the petcock to the carb.

Good luck

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 AM

If the petcock has been replaced and it has a fuel pump check to see if the right petcock was put on.

If a petcock with a small vacuum hose coming out of the back was put on, then remove the fuel pump and use gravity feed.
Make sure a vacuum line is connected to the back of the petcock to a vacuum line to the carb or manifold.

If the petcock without vacuum line is installed, check your fuel pump, the fuel pump relay or fuse, or as stated before remove the fuel pump completely.

2005 VTX1300C Roadburner Double Eagles ,
Batwing, BadX double decker 1800C seat and lots of chrome. Riding DS Yokohama Avid S 205/70-15 with Dynabeads......Smooth Ridin
' VTXOA Inmate#37626[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 Victory Vision- Fits the Wife's butt just right! Plus a few others. I need to clean out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page