Ok I posted this up on the VTXCafe. Im kinda new to the VTXOA, but I need some help, grab your
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST, I KNOW ITS LONG BUT THE INFO SHOULD HELP.
- I dont need to hear "check the ECM wires". This issue is beyond the obvious disconnected wire. If it is a wire and/or the ECM its not that obvious.
Ok I think the most important thing to note is that all of the problems are intermittent
, they come and go with no apparent correlation. When I bought the bike it had 30,000 miles and was bone stock besides slip on exhaust, engine lighting, and alarm.
Some days it runs perfect, absolutely perfect
. And some days it doesn't
. And I cant figure out why
. You win
if you can help.
- Idles rough, not terrible just uneven. The exhaust hits a rhythm for a few beats then misses.
- Engine vibrates more (the girls love it, I dont), its not convulsing just like its out of sync and slightly unbalanced.
- Engine feels like its missing, or weak has weak spark.
- Runs hot shortly after the idle starts acting up. Temp light doesnt pop on, just noticeably hotter. Fan pops on constantly at lights.
- Take off isn't smooth, doesn't bog down, more like its fighting to move, lacks power.
- Each gear feels shorter, it bogs down at the bottom of the gear and I have to shift earlier than I normally would.
- The top end lacks power. Doesnt bog down, slowly fights to increase speed.
- The symptoms almost seem like a burnt or stuck exhaust valve (to give you an idea, dont think this is the problem).
- It always starts easy, doesn't need choke (since scar), never dies. Just doesn't run right.
The Intermittent Part
I Have Tried
- One day it will purr like kitten and ride like a raped ape, and then one day I will start it up bad,right away the idle is off.
- It goes away on its own sometimes, other times Ill try to fix the problem. Dozen times I thought I fixed it, but it always comes back.
Things I Noticed That May (or may not) Be Relevant
- Checked ECM and surrounding wires. Because its intermittent electrical seems likely. All wires were plugged in, no corrosion.
- The wires to the ECM were kinked, straightening them out didnt help at all.
- The basics like different brands gas, oil, plugs, Seafoam, etc.
- I installed new vacuum lines, vent line, spark plugs, etc.
- Scar to tune the carb, with Decap (when it runs good its great, when its bad its the same as always).
- Changed to HK exhaust and installed new crush gaskets.
- Rerouted the crankcase vent hose with a filter. Carb was sucking a quart of oil vapor a month.
- Valve adjustment (mechanic was recommended from a here).
- I changed the coolant and burped the system.
- Battery is new, connections are tight.
- When I bought the bike it had an alarm system and engine LED's that no longer worked. I have removed the extra wiring.
- The ECM wires were all intact but were all kinked too. Straightened them out, no change.
- The spark plugs look ok (lean but Scar shouldve fixed it). Changing plugs didnt help, I tried 3 different brands.
- The whole engine gets very, very hot. Feels like the Front Left and Right Rear plug areas aren't as hot as the opposite sides.
- The bike still has the Paired Valve System.
- The flow from the front cylinder seems much stronger than the rear but, both cylinders feel equally hot.
- A little coolant leaks from the overflow when its turned off after running hot. Temp light has never come on.
- The intermittent, come & go behavior of the problem makes it unlikely to be anything adjustable, or mechanical failure because some days its perfect.
- Most likely culprit is the wiring,ignition system, or ECM itself. But thats a big area to troubleshoot.
- Plausible that its fuel blockage or the air quaility making the difference, seems like that would make is run rough, but not uneven (if that makes sense).
- The paired valve system could be faulty causing some of the symptoms.
Im at my wits end, if I cant figure out exactly what it is then I am debating just replacing the whole wiring harness and ignition system and hoping for the best....
At this point any feedback, ideas, help would be much appreciated
. Whether Im way off or on the right track, Im open to any and all help.
Thanks in advance guys