why difference in mileage per tank on similar bike? - Page 3 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealgeno View Post
If I were you, I would leave it alone if it is running like a champ. I usually avg about 130 before hitting reserve; sometimes more, sometimes less. But I am also pretty heavy on the throttle.

If it seems to you to be in great running order with no issues, then all I would do is see if you can put another 30,000 on it when it warms up...
Thanks. I can gat about 130 no wind. That guy has a great bike. I can even get 150 with all my reserve. All bikes are different I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Anthony 2007 VTX -SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM

People are saying that having a windscreen cuts down on mileage. Doesn't make sense to me. In terms of resistance, air moving over a smooth surface would seem to be a much better scenario than air hitting your torso. Probably depends more on the size and shape of the windscreen than whether or not you have one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 1300R, 2007 1800T2
Viet Nam Veteran (Medical Corps and Engineering Corps)
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

It's a HUGE flat piece sticking STRAIGHT up, it isn't directing any wind, it is STOPPING the wind like a wall. It's called "Aerodynamics" and any engineer will tell you a windshield is a fuel mileage killer.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
It's a HUGE flat piece sticking STRAIGHT up, it isn't directing any wind, it is STOPPING the wind like a wall. It's called "Aerodynamics" and any engineer will tell you a windshield is a fuel mileage killer.
I politely disagree with your interpretation of aerodynamics as it relates to this issue. Your torso is also acting as a "sail" with more restricted laminar airflow that that of a piece of smooth plastic. I also tend to have my body in a vertical position when riding and feel significant resistance when riding without a windscreen. Therefore, I agree that a windscreen does affect the resistance of your bike as does your body.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 1300R, 2007 1800T2
Viet Nam Veteran (Medical Corps and Engineering Corps)
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM

In good old summer time I was running about 37mpg. around 150 before reserve. Its stock with a BIG windscreen, lowers and hard lowers on the guards. Now that we're in the winter I get about 95 before reserve.
That stinks! It better come back in the spring.
Oh its an 06 1300s.
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Huge difference...

Before my windshield I was hitting 145 to 150 cruising around town before reserve. Now that I got the windshield I hit reserve around 130 to 135 when I'm in town. HOWEVER....when I'm highway crusing I hit reserve around 165 which means I'm getting over 47 mpg on the highway. Which also means I can get about 212 miles to the tank!

I really think it's how you drive it also. I don't hit my throttle hard very often. I'm taking my bike to Colorado this summer. It's like 950 miles so I'm excited knowing I can do it in roughly 5 tanks. Only about $75 or so in gas and I'm in the mountains. Much better than the $200 it would take me if I drove my truck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2005 Gray VTX 1300C, Kuryakyn Hwy Lights, Windshield, Cheap Saddlebags, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs and Grips, Kuryakyn Floorboards, Hondaline Luggage Rack, 2 Piece Mustang seat...a work in progress!
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunknd View Post
Before my windshield I was hitting 145 to 150 cruising around town before reserve. Now that I got the windshield I hit reserve around 130 to 135 when I'm in town. HOWEVER....when I'm highway crusing I hit reserve around 165 which means I'm getting over 47 mpg on the highway. Which also means I can get about 212 miles to the tank!

I really think it's how you drive it also. I don't hit my throttle hard very often. I'm taking my bike to Colorado this summer. It's like 950 miles so I'm excited knowing I can do it in roughly 5 tanks. Only about $75 or so in gas and I'm in the mountains. Much better than the $200 it would take me if I drove my truck.
Im planing that trip as well, sure hope my milage comes back. maybe will meetup.
Chuckphoto.jpg
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger66 View Post
I politely disagree with your interpretation of aerodynamics as it relates to this issue.
Your torso is also acting as a "sail" with more restricted laminar airflow that that of a piece of smooth plastic.
The body with arms forward is about as parachute as it gets.
Yet less restrictive per square inch than a windshield as Spike mentioned.

The Laminar flow so to speak on the body is broken up vs
a slightly curved windshield that's eye level with much more square inches of displaced air flow
and huge drag following it.

The resistance of windshield is not just what it's deflecting.
The drag it produced is why you get the diverted air flow coming in from the bottom and reversed air flow from behind
the body trying to equalize the huge negative pressure behind the shield.

Without windshield cruising long distance at 90,
it's normal to turn a bit sideways to the left with one on the throttle, left arm tucked behind.
Reduces drag by almost half, and less tiring.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Scoots 07 Neo III 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytiger1 View Post
Thanks. I can gat about 130 no wind. That guy has a great bike. I can even get 150 with all my reserve. All bikes are different I guess.
dont know what your tune is set at but might want to look into it. i ride aggressive always on turns and up and down hills. i get 160 to reserve. im getting 160 to reserve with a setup of 225 main 4 1/2 clip on the needle dj spring 60 slow and 1 3/4 a/f.

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
Where is our government!
post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Cool responsive....

I think I had a friend with pilot license (know it azz but a friend as well) tell me that for every time you double your speed you get 4 time the wind resistance...
so at 60mph you have 4 time more resistance than 30mph.....

Of course if he is wrong I would like to through it in his face...

Gray-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck, if you got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page