1300 Potential Oil Leak DANGER!! With Pictures - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Exclamation 1300 Potential Oil Leak DANGER!! With Pictures

If you work on your airbox or even in that area...please be sure that you have not pinched the crankcase breather tube. This will cause you to build up pressure un the crankcase and your shift seal will blow. This will spill oil in line with your rear wheel...potentially causing you to loose traction and crash. The crankcase breather is the smaller of the two hoses connected to the back of the stock airbox. It can be easily seen from the left side of the bike, between the jugs. Check to see that it runs smoothly to the back of the airbox. Alternately, you may remove the dipstick and blow into the breather tube with a hose or straw. Feel for a rush of air at the dipstick and you'll know the tube is not pinched. The breather tube is attached to nipple "A" in the stock airbox. Here is a fix posted by Thin Man. You still want to be sure the hose is not kinked behind the stint: My bike had been leaving a couple of drops of oil on the garage floor after trips out of town. You got me thinking with that total oil loss at highway speed. Checked it out today and mine was also kinked. The culprit was a hose clamp. It's my favorite type of clamp, but this time the excess caused a problem. The excess was hooking into the hose when the air cleaner housing was pushed back into place. This put a fold in the hose. I bent the excess clamp end out of the way and pushed a 2 inch long piece of 5/16th diameter brass tubing up the kinked hose to keep it open. Last update: 2006-03-20 13:28Author: Ceetro

While the above is aimed mostly at 1300 Owners, this CAN happen on either the 1300 or 1800. The 1800 has a different crankcase vent hose run and is not in as much risk of being pinched off like the 1300

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
prs

Spike, the image link did not work.

prs

"To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

2004C
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Yep, the original guy that did this, moved his pictures from the web and they are gone.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Spike. Saw your post on the oil danger. Can't find my pics of the stent approach. I'll look in the morning. Think they are on an old disk.

What I did though was get a length of that brass tubing sold in hobby shops. Brand name was K&B I believe. Pretty sure it was 5/16" dia. Get the 1 ft length and cut off about two inches. Remove any sharp edging and push the two inch section into the breather tube. Use the longer piece to push it into the kink area. This of course is done with the air filter housing off to make sure you get it in the best spot.

Had the pics posted on a link to BIGBIKES.com. Don't know what happened there. If I find them, I'll try Photobucket.

Thin Man

It's Fun.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the Heads Up Spike!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2007 VTX1300S
http://biker-haven.forumotion.com/
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
Spike. Saw your post on the oil danger. Can't find my pics of the stent approach. I'll look in the morning. Think they are on an old disk.

What I did though was get a length of that brass tubing sold in hobby shops. Brand name was K&B I believe. Pretty sure it was 5/16" dia. Get the 1 ft length and cut off about two inches. Remove any sharp edging and push the two inch section into the breather tube. Use the longer piece to push it into the kink area. This of course is done with the air filter housing off to make sure you get it in the best spot.

Had the pics posted on a link to BIGBIKES.com. Don't know what happened there. If I find them, I'll try Photobucket.

Thin Man
That would be great if you can find them. If you do, can you forward them to my e-mail so I can upload them to my VTXOA account and then I won't have to bug you for them again. Thanks

Lar-mar-mckenna@comcast.net

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
That would be great if you can find them. If you do, can you forward them to my e-mail so I can upload them to my VTXOA account and then I won't have to bug you for them again. Thanks

Lar-mar-mckenna@comcast.net
They're on their way.

It's Fun.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Yep. Six years ago when the dealer installed my new pipes and rejetted the carb the breather got pinched in reassembly. I rode home 17 miles unaware of this. When I got home oil was pouring into the driveway with the engine running. Looking back on it I was very very fortunate to have made it home without a disaster.

Had the bike towed back to the dealer, who was very embarrassed and apologetic. They resolved the issue, red faced, and then washed the bike and scrubbed the oil from the rear tire and wheel. It was a mess.

Good post Spike and thanks!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM

GOOD catch on that one!! This is a real danger.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM

The same thing happened on my 1985 VT1100C once, I was out of town without tools, The Steeler charged me $110 to poke the seal back in and Un-kink the vent hose and refill the oil. Oh yea, and to wipe the tire off.
If I had a do over with the same situation I would just buy the tools needed.
I make sure to carry a basic tool kit+ when I go out of town now.

Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page