Why are you scared to hit reserve?. - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Why are you scared to hit reserve?.

Serious question. It seems so many are absolutely terrified to let their bike hit reserve. What is the reason? I don't understand the point of completely avoiding the low fuel warning system that was designed for the bike, and has been in use on most every carbuerated bike ever built.

Back on the road. 2003 lightly moddified 118ci C model.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

I hit mine all the time.

Black 2004 1300 Ctro, 2009 RSV/Hannigan Trike
88K+ on the X. 45K+ on the RSV
You don't quit riding because you get old.
You get old because you quit riding.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mike View Post
I hit mine all the time.
+1

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You Never Walk Alone
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM

One day I was merging onto the slab, going uphill, in a left curving section of road, from the right. It was a time when there was a line cars I had to merge into, and there were cars on my six. At that moment I ran out of gas. Already having to concentrate on merging safely in a curve and also paying attention to the car on my six I had enough to do without taking my left hand off the bars and hitting the reserve switch. It was a very tense moment. Afterwords I told my self that was never going to happen to me again.

That's my reason and to me it's a good one.
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to HondaPartsGuy
I wouldn't say that I am "scared" of hitting reserve , it happens all the time. But it can create a pucker factor when it happens at just the right time.

80 mph on the freeway with a large truck behind you , I don't care how fast you flip the lever , that truck in your mirror just keeps getting bigger & bigger.

Making a left turn in front of oncoming traffic , and just as you let the clutch out , she spits & sputters.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alcohol does not solve any problems , but then again , neither does milk.
Last cigarette smoked October 22nd 2011
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM

^ what he said, similar situation, but I still hit it fairly regularly I just watch the trip odometer and when i'm getting close I am a bit more leery of doing low speed maneuvers where sudden loss of power could result in dumping.

Current rides:
1978 Suzuku GS750 (broken clutch cable)
1994 Ninja 600 (streetfighter project)
2004 Honda VTX 1300S
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM

I don't usually ride till I hit reserve, but it doesn't bother me to do it.

When I hit about 100 - 120 miles, I start watching for gas stations (and price). If there are not any around, I'll hit reserve with no problem.

On the 1800, I fill up at 120 or less, and get a little concerned if I can't. I just don't trust waiting for the light to come on.

2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
2007 VTX 1300 R
2006 VTX 1800 R Trike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Been riding about 50 years and to me it is just normal to run it into reserve virtually all of the time. Doing more long distance riding now an exception is when I'm on the western freeways. There isn't always a station out in front of you within the reserve distance so possibly I will fill before hitting it, all depends on what is out in front of me.

But the above concerns are real and the very simple answer is to use reserve, not avoid it. If I'm in one of those potential situations then I just switch to reserve early, why not?, there is no negative consequence. You still get the full amount of fuel. When you switch to reserve early it is essentially the same thing as a low fuel warning light. You're not going to have any instantaneous lack of fuel emergency, you just need to get gas in the next 25 miles or so. MPG can vary greatly from all kinds of circumstances and there have been times where I may be concerned about fuel in traffic, maybe a construction zone or accident backup, I might just temporarily switch to reserve to be certain there won't be a problem and then when I clear the traffic I'll switch back to the main.

I use reserve liberally, just switch to it early and you don't have to worry about it sputtering. If your using the odo to fill at 130 then instead of filling switch to reserve at 130 and get gas when you can, no worries.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I agree. But I usually can go to 160+/- before hitting reserve.
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneccspv View Post
I agree. But I usually can go to 160+/- before hitting reserve.
daaang! I usually hit reserve around 120, do you guys fill your tanks fuller or something? I stop when the bubbles start collecting in the neck.

Current rides:
1978 Suzuku GS750 (broken clutch cable)
1994 Ninja 600 (streetfighter project)
2004 Honda VTX 1300S
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page