odometer LCD replace? - VTXOA
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
kotkinjs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 14
odometer LCD replace?

after a few years in the FL sunlight my odometer lcd has gotten almost too dark to read in the daytime. I've seen threads about people asking about replacing the entire speedo to solve that (and that the mileage is stored on the speedo board itself, not the bike's computer) but can just the LCD be replaced? I've looked on the various OEM parts websites and they only sell the entire speedo unit. Anyone know where I can just get the LCD and if that only can be replaced?


Thanks in advance!
kotkinjs1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Fla.Cableguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Pete Florida
Posts: 4,176
Send a message via Yahoo to Fla.Cableguy
If I'm right their a post on the how to do. Will tell you how to change the light, color of it and the face of it. But I'm sure some one will pop in with pics and info. Smitt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Lot's of time and money. I trust no one's wrench, but my own. Avon Monster Club, Black Out Club, Mat Black Fastest Color....Pay it forward .
Fla.Cableguy is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
kotkinjs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 14
Thanks- I think I know the post you're talking about but that deals with the LEDs in the speedo- I need the LCD of the odo itself. Thanks again anyway.
kotkinjs1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Fla.Cableguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Pete Florida
Posts: 4,176
Send a message via Yahoo to Fla.Cableguy
OOO I see what you wrote now. Can't say I have seen any post's for that before. I'll be watching. Smitt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Lot's of time and money. I trust no one's wrench, but my own. Avon Monster Club, Black Out Club, Mat Black Fastest Color....Pay it forward .
Fla.Cableguy is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkinjs1 View Post
after a few years in the FL sunlight my odometer lcd has gotten almost too dark to read in the daytime. I've seen threads about people asking about replacing the entire speedo to solve that (and that the mileage is stored on the speedo board itself, not the bike's computer) but can just the LCD be replaced? I've looked on the various OEM parts websites and they only sell the entire speedo unit. Anyone know where I can just get the LCD and if that only can be replaced?


Thanks in advance!
Mine did the same thing for the same reason, too long in the Florida sun. My solution was to replace the entire speedo base and move the bike to North Dakota. To be serious, I don't think the LCD is a replaceable unit. If I remember correctly, when I looked at it, it was hard soldered to the base and it doesn't show as a separate part on the fiche.
cdockter is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdockter View Post
Mine did the same thing for the same reason, too long in the Florida sun. My solution was to replace the entire speedo base and move the bike to North Dakota. To be serious, I don't think the LCD is a replaceable unit. If I remember correctly, when I looked at it, it was hard soldered to the base and it doesn't show as a separate part on the fiche.
Have the same problem here in Arizona, I'm actually on my second speedo and it is browned over also. Will be checking around to see if I can find a shop that can just replace the LCD. If I can find one I'll let every one know.

STUMPY-D
2003 1300S
DAVE M is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim-Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 544
Hello,

I created the LED write up. (I've had the dash assembly apart) The Digital display part is soldered in, but a steady hand and a fine soldering tip should do the trick. I would contact DigiKey to see if you can get the part seperatly. Good luck

Jim-eye

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jim-Eye is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
jangell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, TN
Posts: 1,112
Mileage is not stored on the computer. I've done speedo LEDs for a lot of people and I always hook them up to my bike to test them and send pics. It always shows their mileage not mine.

Also, on replacing the LCD display, it's not extremely difficult And if you're doing that you could change the LEDs too if you want. Removing the LCD display is the "hardest" part of the led change. The LCD is a 12 or 16 pin connection (can't remember for sure how many). You just have to use a solder gun to remove it. Heat up one at a time and work your way across. Unless you have a hot air solder station then you can do it all at once. I've done them numerous times. Like I said. Not a huge deal.


Progression of My Bike
My Bagger Build - Bike 2
2006 VTX1300 F'n C
2004 VTX1300(S) Custom Bagger
2002 VTX1800C 1940CC modded w/ 240 conversion
jangell is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell View Post
Mileage is not stored on the computer. I've done speedo LEDs for a lot of people and I always hook them up to my bike to test them and send pics. It always shows their mileage not mine.

Also, on replacing the LCD display, it's not extremely difficult And if you're doing that you could change the LEDs too if you want. Removing the LCD display is the "hardest" part of the led change. The LCD is a 12 or 16 pin connection (can't remember for sure how many). You just have to use a solder gun to remove it. Heat up one at a time and work your way across. Unless you have a hot air solder station then you can do it all at once. I've done them numerous times. Like I said. Not a huge deal.
For future reference, do you have a part number and supplier for the LCD panel?

Thanks in advance!
cdockter is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
jangell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, TN
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdockter View Post
For future reference, do you have a part number and supplier for the LCD panel?

Thanks in advance!
I don't have the part number. I've never replaced one. I've removed them to replace the LEDs. I will see if I can find them online. Right now I've found http://www.phoenixdisplay.com/24hoursquotes.php

They can replicate the one you have.


Progression of My Bike
My Bagger Build - Bike 2
2006 VTX1300 F'n C
2004 VTX1300(S) Custom Bagger
2002 VTX1800C 1940CC modded w/ 240 conversion
jangell is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome