How often should tires be balanced? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

How often should tires be balanced?

Greetings,

I mounted new front and rear tires on my 1300C. Both were balanced, but my question is how often during the life of the tires should they be balanced? The front was easy enough to remove but the rear was a pain in the butt with the stock exhaust in the way of the large retaining nut for the rear axle. It took two of us to do it. For my cars I usually get them balanced about every 8,000 miles or sooner if I notice wobble at highway speeds.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 12:48 AM

My original Dunlops lasted about 11K and were never rebalanced. They were smooth to the end. So far my Metzelers are smooth and have about 6K on them. I was wondering the same thing tonight because I had the air compressor out and decided to check all the pressures on my MC and vehicle tires. While looking at my wheels, I realized that they will need to come off for a polishing this winter and I'm concerned about disturbing the stick-on weights when I do it. Other than that you may be able to to get away with what you have until the tires are worn out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash76 View Post
Greetings,

I mounted new front and rear tires on my 1300C. Both were balanced, but my question is how often during the life of the tires should they be balanced? The front was easy enough to remove but the rear was a pain in the butt with the stock exhaust in the way of the large retaining nut for the rear axle. It took two of us to do it. For my cars I usually get them balanced about every 8,000 miles or sooner if I notice wobble at highway speeds.

Thanks

I balance my tires everytime that I ride it. Actually my tires balance themselves. I use Dyna-Beads inside of the tires. Check this video.
[video=youtube;eq263AYgyYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg[/video]

The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 AM

Garage
Tires, car of bike.

should NEVER need redone.
unless the weights fall off.
if a tire gets out of balance, check for lost weights. otherwise there is DAMAGE to the tire.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 70,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.

MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesmote View Post
Tires, car of bike.

should NEVER need redone.
unless the weights fall off.
if a tire gets out of balance, check for lost weights. otherwise there is DAMAGE to the tire.
you are right about car tires. I confused them with rotating them. When I get them rebalanced its because it's lost a weight. Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM

When I got my bike, i had stockers on that had been factory balanced. Soon after, I installed the Avon 230/60-15 and it ran perfectly smooth without balancing. Last winter, I modded my bike even more and am now running Avon Venom front and Avon Cobra 250 rear and they both run perfect without balancing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightywarrior72 View Post
I balance my tires everytime that I ride it. Actually my tires balance themselves. I use Dyna-Beads inside of the tires. Check this video.
[video=youtube;eq263AYgyYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg[/video]
I agree. Use Dyno-Beads and you don't have to worry about weights flying off. They will keep your wheels balanced for the life of your tires, perfectly
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmon View Post
I agree. Use Dyno-Beads and you don't have to worry about weights flying off. They will keep your wheels balanced for the life of your tires, perfectly

What he said...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
It's not what you ride, but that you ride.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Go Dyna Beads!

+1 on using Dyna Beads.

Unlike lead weights if your tire goes out of balance due to wear (e.g. 'cupping') the Dyna Beads will still balance the tire, but the lead weights will not. The beads are constantly correcting/maintaining balance.

You can read more and/or buy some here:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:05 AM

I just installed new tires. DynoBeads all the way. I even convinced my lifelong Harley riding neighbor into using them. He'd never heard of them until I used on my Shadow Sabre at the beginning of the year. He's now a believer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page