tire size on 2005 1300R - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

tire size on 2005 1300R

Hey all,
I've cked the tire threads but I couldn't find one that actually tells me if the following tire will fit on a 2005 1300R. So sorry if this is redundant. I'm looking at a front tire -- Metzeler Marathon ME 880 front tire, 140/70-18 . Can anyone who knows about tires tell me if this size will fit my bike Without any mods? I think the stock is 140/80-17. I have the stock R cast rims with a dunlop on it now. If I'm correct, the 17 at the end is the width of the rim? but what about the other numbers? What do they stand for? Will the Marathan size I'm looking at fit my bike w/o trouble? I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Metz. I don't ride a lot and the price on this tire is really good. Thx for the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM

17 is diam of the rim and 140/80 is wide and high of the tire wall so 18 did't fit on 17 rim

Laconia 2015
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Yeah, double check if its a misprint. If advertised size is right, an 18 inch tire does not fit a 17 inch wheel.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Tire size explained

This explains it better than I can. https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp

Steve
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM

That tire your looking at will not fit your 1300R. I saw the ad too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGET View Post
Hey all,
I've cked the tire threads but I couldn't find one that actually tells me if the following tire will fit on a 2005 1300R. So sorry if this is redundant. I'm looking at a front tire -- Metzeler Marathon ME 880 front tire, 140/70-18 . Can anyone who knows about tires tell me if this size will fit my bike Without any mods? I think the stock is 140/80-17. I have the stock R cast rims with a dunlop on it now. If I'm correct, the 17 at the end is the width of the rim? but what about the other numbers? What do they stand for? Will the Marathan size I'm looking at fit my bike w/o trouble? I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Metz. I don't ride a lot and the price on this tire is really good. Thx for the tips.
The first number is the width of the tire tread in millimeters. The second number is the percentage of height of the sidewall to the width of the tire. Last number is the diameter of the rim in inches.

In other words.
200/80/16
200mm width of the tire tread; 80% of 200mm is 160mm height of the side wall. 16 means 16" rim.

The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

thx all. I was hoping the dimensions on the tire being advertised were flipped, but no can do. It's for an 18" rim and I have 17". However, not sure if storing a tire for 1.5 years is a good thing in the long run. Price seemed really good. Anyway , I appreciate the education in the numbers from you all. I think I'll hang on for a bit longer and see if I can find a white sidewall for the bike. That's what I really want when I exchange tires. Anybody know where you can get these for decent price? I don't ride very often so my tires will last a while and I don't need the top of the line. Thx again! You guys are the best.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

BTW VTXRosa, thx for the pm buddy. I'll pass for now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Dunlop is the only company that sells both front and back tires in the white wall.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
some of the many mods. Leo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page