Which Vance and Hines pipes sound best? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Which Vance and Hines pipes sound best?

Should I purchase the Vance and Hines (VH) Cruzers or Big Shots pipes to replace my stock "quiet" pipes? I want drivers to hear me pass during lane splitting but do not wish to wake up my neighbors. Also, do they both require the same installation steps (e.g. jetting the carburator).

Navig8tor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM

I have the cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by navig8tor View Post
should i purchase the vance and hines (vh) cruzers or big shots pipes to replace my stock "quiet" pipes? I want drivers to hear me pass during lane splitting but do not wish to wake up my neighbors. Also, do they both require the same installation steps (e.g. Jetting the carburator).

Navig8tor

i have the vance and hines cruisers on my 1300r model, not too loud but sometimes i think they sound a little tinnie! When i installed mine a year ago i did not have any reson to re-jet motor. It runs fine, if you have not done the pair valve you will find the popping on decel and shifting will really be noticible and annoying, my neighbor has the the big shots on his harley 103 and it is so loud i can hear him a quarter mile away. On the highway the cruisers are loud enough that i wear earplugs because the noise from the pipes are annoying. Godd luck on what ever you choose, there are some you- tube videos on both set of pipes on the 1300's so you can make a decision.

Good luck j.p.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 PM

I have/love my bigshots. My heat shield retaining tabs broke recently and its not covered under warranty. Something to think about
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM

big shots sound best but are loud. there are 2 options for quiet baffles to help

cruziers sound good bit higher in pitch but are not as loud

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
Where is our government!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM

I have the cruizers, with no baffles in them. Idle is fairly quiet. But let off the throttle with a few rpms behind it, and they do ALOT of talkin as its backin down. No coughin or sputterin, more of a cackle. The bigshots do look a little nicer to me tho.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM

I have Big Shots with the quiet baffles. The pipes are deeper with the quiet baffles and have a pretty mellow cruising tone. However, they still bark pretty loudly and will ring out under load (like going up a hill). They are also a good performing system. As far as jetting, you don't HAVE to unless you change/modify your intake. BUT, I took a suggestion from Charlie D to try on a friend's wife's bike. She had a completely stock 2007 1300S. Her husband and I put on Samson Warloard II Cannons. Afterwards, the bike was still tough to start (cold-natured). She was using the choke a lot and it had some lean surging issues, too. I came back and put in a #200 Keihn main jet, which is one size over the stock #195. I also put in a #58 pilot jet (one size over the stock #55). We stayed with the stock needle and spring. I also put in Glen's permanent A/F screw--which allows for easy adjustment of the idle mixture. The bike runs great now and she is all smiles. Another thing to consider when getting aftermarket pipes is the PAIR valve removal. I have done it on mine and we also did it on hers. It really improves sound--especially on deceleration.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM

guess i should add i sold my cruzers and putting big shots on

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
Where is our government!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Riddle View Post
guess i should add i sold my cruzers and putting big shots on
I was waiting for that. You are going to want the quiet baffles, though. There was a new set on the pay it forward table at Bulldogs...I don't know who brought them or if they are still up for grabs.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium-X View Post
I was waiting for that. You are going to want the quiet baffles, though. There was a new set on the pay it forward table at Bulldogs...I don't know who brought them or if they are still up for grabs.

thanks. im thinking about the big city thunder qq baffles

Where is our government!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM

I think cyberhick recommended those before. Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page