DIY mishaps - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

DIY mishaps

When I installed my Big Shots, I somehow got the acorn nuts cross-threaded. Didn't feel that way when they were going on, but it was. Had leaks at both flanges, the bike is in the shop now to replace studs, bolts, and gaskets. Dropped it off there because oil was leaking from somewhere, I couldn't figure it out. Turns out when I replaced the crappy black dipstick with a shiny new chrome one (I changed my oil on Sunday), I forgot the o-ring for the new dipstick. DOH!

Live and learn I guess. I'm going to have the shop jet the carb while they have it in there, so I can get back on the road sooner and with more confidence. Should be purring like a kitten when I get her back. The weather is getting nicer here in North Texas, I'd rather be riding than wrenching.

Big Greggo

2004 VTX 1300S - Vance & Hines Big Shots, Mustang Wide Vintage, Memphis Shades Fats, Kuryakyn mirrors and turn signals, Hondaline Solo fender rack, Show Chrome radiator cover, Dunlop white walls, K&N air filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself, we ALL make mistakes. Those that have not made mistakes are either not doing anything or they lie. Some times we do little things (like your o-ring) no big deal. Some of us do things that can get us in big trouble, like I forgot to torque my rear axle nut, but found it on a latter inspection. Stuff happens.

Perry's '04 1300S/R Glen's CPR, and Perm A/F tool, Decapped airbox w/SPyKER modded X cap, K&N filter,Pair valve mod, Factory Pro Kit, Iso Grips, Mustang Seat, Memphis Shades windscreen, 4" Aeromack risers, All balls steering bearings, Progressive fork springs, Breakaway TL, Wolo horn, V&H Crusers, Polished wheels. Tsukayu VTX bags
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

More than likely you did NOT cross thread the nuts. The nuts bottomed out on the stud before they could tighten the flange down enough. This is why you had the backfiring from the leaking headers. This is why we say to either add washers to the studs before you put on those acorn nuts. Or ditch the acorn nuts and go with regular nuts

AMA Life Member 721314
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 PM

I have been "fixing" things since I was kid tearing up my sisters toys. I learned with experience how to do things by learning how NOT to do them the first time.

Don't get down on yourself. You learned how not to do it so that snake won't bite you again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 VTX 1800R, V&H Big Shots, Desmog, K&N, Double Darkside-Goodyear TT 205/60-16,Michellin Pilot Active 150/70-17, Dyna Beads, Honda Line windshield, Jett lowers, Kury ISO grips w/Throttle Boss, Scootworks Phatriser II, Mustang seat with Paladin Passenger removable backrest, Paladin highway bars with Kury pegs, Edge bags w/brackets.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM

Little late now but the studs are available at ACE Hardware.

Donut Doug
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:13 PM

I am no expert, but I can do basic plumbing now. I had my first lesson from a professional plumber many years ago. I can also do a decent job patching drywall. Just think, if I hadn't put a wood screw through that water pipe all those years ago, I may not have those skills today!!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM

ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I am no expert, but I can do basic plumbing now. I had my first lesson from a professional plumber many years ago. I can also do a decent job patching drywall. Just think, if I hadn't put a wood screw through that water pipe all those years ago, I may not have those skills today!!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Not the biggest deal when it comes to threads of any exhaust fastener.

Just simply removing them - about 99.9% - if they were not pre-coated with anti-sieze -
threads were damaged coming off.

Could be worse - galled / seized threads stripped out of heads just removing studs.
Still a simple repair - and better results when stainless Heli-Coils used.

Even the shuttle was taken down by just an O-ring - so a minor oil leak was just confirming it was missing.
But who'd a thought one had to even think about an o-ring with a spanky new dip stick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Scoots 07 Neo III 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not beating myself up too much. Live and learn on stuff like this. I will do more research in the future before I just dive in, but I do want to do most of this stuff myself.

Big Greggo

2004 VTX 1300S - Vance & Hines Big Shots, Mustang Wide Vintage, Memphis Shades Fats, Kuryakyn mirrors and turn signals, Hondaline Solo fender rack, Show Chrome radiator cover, Dunlop white walls, K&N air filter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
More than likely you did NOT cross thread the nuts. The nuts bottomed out on the stud before they could tighten the flange down enough. This is why you had the backfiring from the leaking headers. This is why we say to either add washers to the studs before you put on those acorn nuts. Or ditch the acorn nuts and go with regular nuts

Ace Hardware (old school Ace) sells "thin" chrome nuts and washers for about a buck apiece. 8mmx1.25. Then after you torque them down and run it a few miles to get it hot and re-torque. Be sure there is no exhaust leaks! After all that you can then put the acorn nut on top to keep it looking purdy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page