Question on Neutral Safety switch - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Ok.
It sounds like you have 3 seperate problems .
1. the clutch switch pin is not comming all the way out so you may need to take a little more off the clutch lever directly in line with the clutch pin when the clutch pulled in.
2. Lunging with clutch pulled when starting ( some do that when s first start when bike sets overnight, normal) but if it dose that when the bike is warm then you may need to adjust the clutch.
You should only have 3/8 to 3/4" of play at the end of the clutch lever at together end of the clutch lever on a stock bike and if you have glens clutch I make it 3/8 to 1/2 max.
3. Barely turning over ?. Was the bike warm and died and you emiediatly hit the start button , if so it is trying to go up against the compression stroke and and the time you take to place it in neutral gives it enough time to decompress a little so that is why it all of a sudden starts so the battery may be getting old and have one weak cell. But I have seen this happen with a brand new battery. Mine does it sometimes when it us hot and I stall it.

Doug

Donut Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
Ok, so the scoot starts in neutral with the kickstand up or down. Will not start in gear with kickstand up and clutch lever pulled.
Ok Starts in neutral, shift into gear put kickstand down, stalls instantly. Neutral switch / kickstand switch working as intended...
Been up for 28 hours and getting cranky. Play with it more later. thinking on installing a jumper on clutch switch perhaps ..
Hopefully you got your rest. Excellent trouble shooting strategy.
Next. Clutch Switch. Try pushing the clutch switch wire connectors fully into the clutch switch. Sometimes they vibrate loose. (This seems likely) Try to start. If that doesn't work then pull the wires off of the clutch switch at your clutch lever. Then as you suggested put jumper on the clutch switch wires. PULL IN YOUR CLUTCH then try to start. If it starts then you know your wiring is fine from that point. Your trouble is limited to clutch switch or the attachment plugs. To test the clutch switch, take the wire connectors off and put a continuity meter across the switch terminals. Pull in clutch and see if the contacts close when lever is pulled in.

Hope this helps.

The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys...
I did indeed get some rest ha. I passed out mid response..
I have a tech day today so I'll try some of those tests then. AND get them Damn neck bearings done

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Morton's 7* Rake kit, Undertaker fenders, Factory Pro jet kit. Street Glide Bags. Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger with red LED's inside. Custom air horn in Cowbell, BUBs, Accutronix Forwards. Passing Lamps, Mustang Wide Vintage Touring, Polished Flame Levers & Mirrors. Barons SS Cables &Brake lines, Foot's Mod, Radiantz LED (Kermit Mod), CP Punisher bars wired internally, powder coated rims, LED Turns.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:57 PM

Garage
I know this is an old thread but. ..... my problem is that the clutch lever is not contacting the switch. I just tested it by having a friend put a eyeglass screwdriver in between the lever and the switch and I started the bike in gear. So is there a way to adjust the switch or lever?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 PM

Garage
So your friend pushed on the switch and that allowed you to start the bike in gear????
I am not clear on everything. . Was kickstand up or down??? It has to be UP...
Do you have aftermarket levers??
Some require some filing to make them work.
The pin on the switch rides on a cam, when lever pulled cam moved away from pin, switch closed.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 179,444 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 02-04-2017 at 11:24 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:52 PM

Garage
Well I have an 1800 I think the switch might be different. Didn't realize it was 1300 part of the forum as I searched Google for the issue and it brought me to this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page