Honda VTX Forum banner

Misalignment?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  -Sammy- 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

here is what happened. I was leaving for work early in the morning. No rain, but pavement was wet. Was riding in a 3 lane road doing about 55. The pavement in that part of the road was concrete not asphalt. The stop light turned yellow on me. I immediately started my break sequence, downshift and applying break on both tires, not very agressive either but with a bit of urgency. Broke traction on the rear tire and went just a little bit to the right, I believe. As soon as I felt that; I aborted what I was doing. Regained traction on the rear tire and throttle up to pass the yellow light.

After that my bike feels a bit misaligned. Is not woobling either. Just feels, sometimes like it is riding a tiny bit sideways/off to the side and is not all the time. I looked at everything back there and I don't see anything out of place. There is not any unusual vibration or noise while riding. Just that weird feeling of being off a little, sometimes.

The rear tire is on its last year probably. It is about to be replaced very likely within this year, maybe next year if pushing it which is very unlikely. Reading a bit in a few places I saw that there is no adjustments on the rear tire as far as alignment goes on this bike. Just thinking it may be the rear tire because it was the one that slid a bit and it is Getting to its replacement mark. Are there any parts that I should be looking at very closely? Could it be the rear tire itself? Safety is paramount and I don't want surprises in the middle of the road. No one likes that either. LOL.

Cheers fellow riders,
Sammy

See less See more
#2 ·
how many years/miles you been riding?

tire measurements... 2/32 is minimum ...

rear.. shock bushings... and swing arm bushings... keeps wheel/tire center... but wheel bearings can make a loose feeling.. rare.
front steering head bearings... but not like you are saying.

if fairly new at riding...FEAR... is faking you out.... check over bike.. but since it was NOT there before.. and you DID NOT HIT anything ...

#5 ·
Unless axle nut was off or something major like that simple hard braking will not bend a frame or cause the bike to be misaligned. Could just be your psyche working on you. But if the tire is that worn and it slid out that easily replace it. If safety is paramount, get new rubber on there and see if that cures it or you ;)

#6 ·
Little by little it showed... The front left side fork only, started leaking fluid... Just got it fixed and it really has gone away. I am still getting some slight instability. Approaching the 40k miles and the handlebars; if I lift my hands from it while doing about 35mph it stars to wobble. I don't think it is normal. I think I am starting to hit that All Balls mileage limit...

#8 ·
Final results are in. The front end fork was loose. Bought the all balls thinking of issues with my bearings since I am sitting at 37k miles. Took them to the shop and had them changed. He told me that the bearings were fine. Just that the fork was loose. When he removed the front tire, the fork wanted to lean left by itself. He immediately knew something was not right. But it was just the looseness of the fork. Frigging stealer front tire job left it like that.... Ugh. Anyway, all balls in there now...

#9 ·
Final results are in. The front end fork was loose. Bought the all balls thinking of issues with my bearings since I am sitting at 37k miles. Anyway, all balls in there now...
Did you buy the front wheel bearings, OR the STEERING NECK bearings? Wheel bearings can last a long time, but the 1300s were assembled with way inferior ball bearings in the steering neck that can loosen up enough to make things scary. Most 1300 owners swap them out for the ALL BALLS Tapered Roller Bearing Conversion Kit. I don`t think your stealer would install them without some sort of disagreement first, but it`s not that hard if you do it yourself.

#10 ·
Steering neck bearings... The shop guy told me that they looked good and it was just loose... Meh... On the other hand, got the all balls in and they are an improvement... Much lighter steering... Oh well...

Stopped going t the stealer... Using a nearby shop... Pretty good so far...

#11 ·
just a note.....I did 80 miles one day on A1A all under 30 miles an hour.....this is on the 03 1800 when it was at about 40k.....my tires were about due for replacement ,within a few months anyhow, and the following day while walking past the garage I noticed that the rear tire was worn excessively down the left side just off from the center. I never felt anything unusual or different during that last ride....I actually blamed it on the tire for a few minutes. I then came to my senses, put it up on the lift and removed the rear wheel...........Out fell all the roller bearings pieces of the cage and a worn down spacer!!! Whew, I caught it before it did any real damage.
Obviously the bike was not tracking straight and causing issues....but I know my bike well and know when even the subtle sound or feel changes and I never had any indications of an issue...
So to Sammy....if something doesn't feel right or different.....you have good reason to be concerned....I don't know if this story helps but the rear wheel bearings my be worth a look, at 37k they could probably stand to be repacked anyway.

#12 ·
just a note.....I did 80 miles one day on A1A all under 30 miles an hour.....this is on the 03 1800 when it was at about 40k.....my tires were about due for replacement ,within a few months anyhow, and the following day while walking past the garage I noticed that the rear tire was worn excessively down the left side just off from the center. I never felt anything unusual or different during that last ride....I actually blamed it on the tire for a few minutes. I then came to my senses, put it up on the lift and removed the rear wheel...........Out fell all the roller bearings pieces of the cage and a worn down spacer!!! Whew, I caught it before it did any real damage.

Obviously the bike was not tracking straight and causing issues....but I know my bike well and know when even the subtle sound or feel changes and I never had any indications of an issue...

So to Sammy....if something doesn't feel right or different.....you have good reason to be concerned....I don't know if this story helps but the rear wheel bearings my be worth a look, at 37k they could probably stand to be repacked anyway.

Thanks for the insight... The ride has definately improved a lot since the all balls and of course a tighter fork joint.... The bike is tracking very well on even pavement... But, will be always vigilant... And will keep an eye out for that... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.