Honda VTX Forum banner

Running Lights PA laws

6K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  BurghMike 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I just went to inspection in PA for my bike. I bought it last year 04 1300S. My running lights work only on low beam. When I switch to high beam, the running lights shut off. Which makes sense to me. The mechanic told me the running lights should only work on high beams and when it's on low beams the running lights should shut off, opposite of what they are now. They charged me to rewire them. Does this sound right? I would assume if driving at night with cars around on low beam I would want the running lights on to be more visible. If I were using high beams (no one would be near me so being visible isn't as important)
Here comes the horrible pun....Can someone shed some light on this matter, especially if you know PA laws?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well my initial thoughts were that the mechanic was very wrong until I looked at the code for cars and trucks, which states "auxiliary" lights are only for high beams. But the code for motorcycles has no such statement. I'd go back and have them "show" you the code, take a copy of the below, and have them rewire it. The oem supplied harness has them go out with the hi beams as if they were fog lights.

Below from the Pa Code for Motorcycles, Lighting and Electrical Systems:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/subchaphtoc.html

(k) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a motorcycle if they comply with the following requirements:

(1) Fog lamps shall not be substituted for headlamps except under conditions of rain or fog. Fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams.
(2) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.
(3) Auxiliary lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when the vehicle and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with the beam not above the horizontal centerline of the lamp at 25 feet.
(4) A motorcycle may have one and no more than two approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.
(5) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall not be placed in front of any required lamp. (6) A vehicle equipped with headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps may not have more than four forward projecting lamps illuminated at the same time.

Reactions: LAVTXRIDER
#3 ·
That's exactly what I read when I returned home. The only concern I had was based on (1). Are fog lamps considered Running Lights?

And on top of it, it makes sense to be more visible with low beams. Far be it from me to think of PA law as logical but they may have gotten it right. Thanks for the reassurance, enduro!

#4 · (Edited)
#5 · (Edited)
OK how's this, from the Pa Code on Lighting and Electrical Systems for cars and trucks:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.66.html
(1) Auxiliary driving lamps may not be substituted for headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps may only be used with high headlamp beams.

And from the Pa Code on Inspection Procedure as listed in my previous post, this is a rejection.
x) Auxiliary driving lamps operate with the low beam of the standard headlamp system or alone.

#6 ·
Looking through the codes I guess he is right if they are considered "auxiliary lights" but wrong if they are "fog lights".
Oem wiring harness wires them as fog lights.

#7 ·
Just got mine inspected Mon. The inspection station didn't even ask about my aux. lights. They are mounted on a separate circuit, with a fused line, and push on/ off switch on the handlebar. They are mounted about halfway up the inside of my engine guards, and are below and behind the headlight as far as position. They are aimed just below a horizontal line of sight, and if I have them on and a vehicle approaches, I can click them off as easily as another would dim theirs. BTW, They were on when I pulled in to the inspection bay, and I then turned them off. He made a comment about it being all lit up, but that was a compliment.

#13 ·
If you have them wired to the OEM pigtail for a lightbar, the factory calls them fog lights I do believe. . . . if-so-fact-o, that guy was an idiot and you should get all your money back, plus him rewiring the system to CORRECT SPEC. I'd also never go there again. . . . what kind of place calls fog lights "auxiliary lights" ?? We aren't talking about KC lights on a roof rack here.

EDIT: first I've heard of someone having this issue with a pair of fog lights on their bike.

#10 ·
In the state of Virginia, my driving lights must turn off if I switch to high beam. Haven't looked it up but I'd bet it's the same for fog lights too. If it were me, I'd call them fog lights and get them rewired accordingly.
:wink2:

#11 ·
Appears to be a definition issue, as fog or driving lights are handled differently it seems. Are they fog or driving lights?

Lights on my Valkyrie go off when I hit the switch, not with a high or low beam selection, but when I turn em off. So I guess if they are on during low beam operation I call em fog lights and if the high beams are on I can Call em driving lights??

The Aux/Fog lights on my Honda Ridgeline are right next to my DRLs, and they operate on the low beam and shut off when I select high beam....but they are not yellow, they are white.

On my old VTX, I had driving lights located close to the head light and it was operated with a switch on th bars....not tied into the headlights, as I wanted. Driving lights would be useless and probably hazardous in foggy conditions, just as high beams would be.

Some mechanics or shops look for ways to increase income by finding things wrong. Those types of places I avoid when possible. If any dealership attempts to add work and increase their income..I say no, I will do it or take it elsewhere. That's my choice and I understand if some are not so mechanically inclined to do so. But, before I would have agreed to have the work done, I would have gotten a second opinion at least.

At this point it's done....so the next place you take it just might go with them being fog lights and want them to go off on high beam operation. Keep your receipt and state inspection paperwork on file....so if it comes up again on the other side...you will be able to rebut it with documentation.

#12 · (Edited)
When I got the lights I installed them as designed and noticed the aux lights went off when the high beams were turned on. I didn't like that and wanted to have control of when they were on. I live in a rural deer rich environment and when I go cross country I like to ride late at night, in both cases I want as much light as possible down and to the side of the road along with the hi beams. During the day on low beam a main reason for the having the lights is visibility to others so I definitely want the extra lights on with the lo beam too!

The relay provided is NC normally closed, that means when the relay is not energized the contacts are closed and power is allowed to the aux lights, low beam on. The trigger to the relay is the blue wire from the high beam, so when you go to high beam the relay turns on and the contacts open removing power to the aux lights. So what I did was cut the blue hi beam trigger wire and put connectors on each stub. With it disconnected there is no way to turn the relay on so power always goes to the aux lights "as long as" the handlebar switch is on, if the switch is off power cannot go to the lights at all. The idea being if someone ever decided my manual control was not a good idea all you need to do is re-connect the blue wire. You could do the same thing, hook it up for the inspection, disconnect it afterwards. And maybe find a different inspection place that wouldn't care.

Blue wire with connectors lower left:

#16 ·
Thanks for all your advice. I was at a rally this weekend and asked about a dozen riders with the running lights. Every last one only worked on low beam and they shut off on high. So, coupled with the information from all of you, I called the repair shop. I talked to the owner. I told him my situation. I told him about the rally. He tried to defend the mechanic (understandable) but said I can bring it in and we can discuss it. He's a newer owner, about two years and I'm sure he's looking to build his reputation. So I'll let you know how it turns out in about two weeks when I get there. Thanks for all your help!

#17 ·
Mike, where was your rally? Just curious. Are you aware of the upcoming tech session outside Marysville, OH May 28? 9781 Harriot Road.

#18 ·
rangers4u, We were at the Blessings of the Bikes in Carnegie, PA. My first rally. Very cool. 150+ bikes. Marysville. Anyone know how to rewire lights?? That's a hike, let me check my schedule. My son starts OSU in the fall so you may see more of me then.

#20 ·
Hey Mike, I'm in Monroeville and know how to wire the relay correctly for your lights. I added them to my X and they are wired to go off when High beam comes on as intended from factory. The worst part of the job is usually reinstalling the headlight to the bucket. Just two screws and a rats nest of wires.
Might only be a matter of switching a terminal on the relay.

#23 ·
Rick is the MAN. Take his offer, you won't be sorry.

#22 ·
I'm with TennX on this. You got your inspection, so just put them back the way YOU want them.

#24 ·
I have mine wired so they are on all the time, high or low beam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.