Honda VTX Forum banner

SOLVED! 30 MPH Vibration & Noise

14K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Donnie Downer 
#1 ·
Rather than update the many posts in which I've participated I thought it would be simpler to summarize my experience in a new one.

The symptom: vibration and noise, specifically at 30mph. Severe enough to feel it in my legs and through the foot pegs. Wife gets on the back and the noise would disappear! I could not replicate the problem on the stand. I found about 6 other riders here with the same symptoms, but none were available to share their solution, or perhaps were never solved.

I've been at this for almost a year and have changed every bearing (wheel, steering, swingarm), the universal, fork bushings & seals, rear wheel flange, and tires. I ruled out the speedo housing, fuel tank, headlight bucket, tire inflation, brake rotors, calipers or pads, and heat shields. Basically, I have a new bike.

Solution: a few years ago I had replaced my OEM 1300 SHOWA shocks with used ones from an 1800. The 1800 shocks are just a half inch longer, slightly changing the drive angle. I replaced these with Progressive 412 4234C heavy duty 12" shocks and I am pleased to report that the vibration and noise has completely disappeared.:pepper1:

#2 ·
Pete---congrats on eliminating your issue.
Longer 1800 shocks caused your problem.
Did you actually have a higher ride height with the 1800 shocks?
Wondering if it was the drive line angle or some resonance.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you Hans, I never felt like I was riding higher but I believe so. I had my son measure the shock length with me on the bike, and then again when my wife sat on the back. The difference came to roughly 1/2 inch more compression with the additional rider. I had thought about switching to Progressives anyway, so since I no longer had my original 1300 shocks, we decided it would be worth the additional $240 investment if it could possibly solve the problem. And it did!

I also thought of the possibility that our final drives might have some minor vibration at that speed, and that some shocks absorbers could act as an amplifier. I'm not sure how we could make a positive conclusion whether it was the length affecting drive angle, or a resonance. One local Honda dealer tech did say that when they installed snow blowers on the front of a Honda tractor (or ATV?) that it would change the drive train angle just a bit and "wreak havoc" on the universal.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Donnie, I agree with you that the shocks weren't the cause. I believe the increase in length & drive angle was the culprit. Putting additional weight on the back actually quieted the noise. So many of us have switched to the 1800 shocks with no problem, but there are so many moving parts involved - maybe some our bikes just cannot handle that small change. I've never changed the jetting - that's still stock

#10 ·
Thanks Grizzly, That makes THREE of us with the same problem and same solution. There was one other gent's post that put the thought in my head.
Thanks for sharing Pete. Good lesson for the rest of us. BTW were your shock bushings still good when u pulled the longer shocks off?
Tony
Yes, I had switched them to the green poly bushings. They were brand new. The Progressive shocks contain their own bushings.

#9 ·
Actually I believe it was the longer shocks causing the issue. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I am a mechanic and have had engineering schooling. The same issue can present itself in autos and trucks as well. What happens is when elongate (raise) the rear ride height it changes the geometry of the bike effectively loading the front shocks and changing the front to rear weight balance. Drag racers do it on purpose to change to traction point of the rear by putting the effective weight just in front of the center of the tire instead of the actual center. So what occurs when your wife climbs on it relieves the front shock loading by moving the center of gravity of the bike back to where it was.

#13 ·
Pete, I am happy to hear that you solved your problem after all the hard work that you put into solving the problem!

You sound quite confident that the problem is resolved. Would you say that you are sure this is the final resolution or do you still think there's a chance the noise will return?

Also, where did you order your shocks from?

Max

#14 ·
Hi Max,
I was hopeful once before, after replacing my universal & rear tire that the worst was over, but it was never 100% completely quiet. With the shocks replaced it is now completely quiet. I've ridden it three times since the shock install, and I will be taking it out for a few hours tomorrow for a lunch ride. If it remains absent through tomorrow, I will be comfortable claiming a victory.

I purchased them through Amazon. They had the best price, shipped, at $236.96. This was for the 412 Series Heavy Duty 12in. Shocks - Chrome 412-4234C.

I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.

#20 ·
Pete,

I was out of town when the shocks were delivered. I took today off to get ready for a trip to see our grandsons but had time to pop the new shocks on and put about 50 miles on. I can't honestly say the noise/vibration is noticeably any different than before the shock replacement. It seems replacing the Final Drive made the biggest difference for me, so far. Maybe I'll have to try the Universals. I am just not looking forward to replacing them though.

The noise is probably no big deal but I am the type that if something isn't "right" I have a hard time ignoring it.

Thanks for documenting and sharing all your experiences, you have been unbelievably helpful.

Take Care and Ride Safe!
Max

#21 · (Edited)
I'm sorry Max, I feel bad that you spent the money and it didn't resolve it for you. I understand completely about that feeling. As you know from the dozens of posts that it almost sent me to the nut house. Before you invest in a different universal let me upload a short video clip with the sound to YouTube so you can compare it to what you're experiencing. I'll let you know once I figure out how to get it up there. Meanwhile enjoy your grandsons :)

Update: The video of my VTX vibration. Standard laptop speakers don't do it justice. You need external speakers to really "appreciate" the sound... Sorry for the sideways image

#22 ·
Pete,

No need to feel bad at all, I have really good shocks now!:laugh:

The noise in the video that you posted is more severe and of a different pitch than what I have experienced. In the video, it seemed that your noise sounded more like vibrating metal pieces. My noise is a lower frequency and not as loud. The duration seems about right though.

Thanks for the help, it's been an interesting journey.... I'm starting to have dreams about Harley's!

#23 ·
Listening to the video... I agree! Sounds like metal on metal.

I had a meanstreak that created same noise and drove me nuts.

It was in the headlight and I stuffed everything but the kitchen sink in there to quieten it down.

My last bike was a victory vegas. Same problem but this time the PO had installed aftermarket LED tail/brake lights. I eventually put some two-way tape between the plastic part and the metal fender. This worked.

No one knows our bikes like we do and when we have a irritating noise, we can't really enjoy the ride until we get it fixed.

I hear the pipes, the engine, the shaft drive, but no continuous irritating noises yet. :smile2:

#25 ·
Same vibration

I have the same Vibration I think.
I found it shows up from 25 to 30 MPH. It does it when engine is off coasting down to and past 30 MPH. Feels like something in the driveshaft but sounds more forward of that. I am about to take it in somewhere to have it looked at. It came on mild and is now louder. Doesn't seem to hinder performance. It was hard to pinpoint but now that I know it is between 25 and 30 MPH I can reproduce it every time. I have never taken off the drive shaft so I might look up on youtube to see if its something I want to try and tackle.

#31 ·
Hey, lets dont be knocking the Metzlers.......lol. I have ridden them for 63000 miles so far, they make a humming noise at slower speeds, more so as they age, less with lower tire pressure. But to me its a hum, a noise not so much a vibration I feel, as the sipes edge out I think it is more pronounced. Cupping makes it louder.......got a new set waiting to go on......soon.

Reactions: SeaSteve
#33 ·
As one of the guys adding to this Metzler theory...I'm not "knocking" the tire. It just FREAKED ME OUT right after I put new Metzlers on the front and back and I got a new slight decel vibration at 30ish MPH! Just glad to hear other people can support my hypothesis.

#34 ·
Steve its no big deal, Metzlers have been so cheap and work well for me.... Hans I have noticed it on all sets of Metzlers and could never really tell the difference in either tire. The 880 or the 888. Still the same mileage and noise. I have about 14 on them now.
On another note, now I got to go put the bike on a stand and see what mine sounds like.............

#35 ·
Got tired of the noise coming from the right Shock, i changed the bushings to the green ones and it still made the noise although not as bad.
Ordered the Progressive 412's, should get them 8-2-17. Looking forward to that annoying noise being gone and a better ride.

#36 ·
Ordered the Progressive 412 shocks, should get them 8-2 UPS.
The spring was buzzing inside the sock, changed the bushings to the green ones for the 1800 and the noise improved a bit but still there.
Looking forward to not having to put up with that and the ride improving.

#38 ·
Please excuse me if I missed the (Final) Resolution to this issue. But I've not seen ANY mention to what the bottom line to My Final Fix was to this. My Honda mechanic asked me to put my X up on my lift, and hold onto my grips and lift and push down to check for ANY kind of play against the Steering Stem. Then, put the tire strait and let go of the grips. If the Steering fell to one side or the other, and did not stay right where you released them, you had one of 3 problems that would cause this 30 to 45 mph heavy vibration. 1) A worn Steering Stem Bearing. 2) To many Bottom-Outs against to the Tripple Tree causing flat spots on the Steering Stem Ball Bearings, to need replacement necessary. And 3) (which mine was) A simple Locking Nut Adjustment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.