Honda VTX Forum banner

Please help, idles fine but wont take throttle

7K views 84 replies 11 participants last post by  deeboSC 
#1 ·
Today i thought id fire the old girl up and take it for a spin on my lunch break. Fine cranked right up as usual, took it down the driveway and i noticed it didnt seem to want to take the gas on easy throttle but would if i hit it hard. Got on the highway and it kinda sputtered and i felt what i assume was gas out of the airbox area so turned it back around and right back to the garage. I pulled the airbox off and tapped on the float thinking it might be stuck but didnt do any good, still cranks fine and revs up fine once you get past 1/8th throttle or so. Any ideas on what else to check? I havent taken carb off but checked all vacuum lines and such and dont see anything obvious . Seems like now it doesnt want to go much past idle without trying to die out completely. Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
well the bike actually runs great for a mile or so then starts to sputter, i pull choke about a 1/4 way out and it runs great again. Choke back in ive got about a mile and vice versa. Do you think turning the AF out a little might help without opening up carb? Thanks again

#6 ·
Low speed jet clogged rubber on piston my have cracking or holes.
Hoses age checked and leaking vacuum
Boots to head loose and leaking vacuum.

#7 ·
when i first bought it , it wouldnt idle so cleaned pilot jet and no issues whatsoever until today.think it might be pilot clogged a little again? idles perfect. ill double check hoses thank you

#9 ·
Check the rubber boot on the slide for pin holes and cracks. Make sure to have a bright light behind where you are looking and stretch the boot a little.

#10 ·
i found 2 pieces of foam from my old air filter in the float bowl , cleaned pilot jet again , checked all of the above . Added fresh gas with a little seafoam, still doing the same thing. Im stumped

#12 · (Edited)
had to be where it came from, on the backside edge of filter, the foam had pretty much disintegrated and literally flakes off like nothing. I didnt however realize there was a filter screen where it goes into carb ill check that later on today thanks

** it looked to be foam at least, whatever it was it was black and was 2 decent sized "flakes". Thought for sure that would have fixed my problem

#14 ·
good point, let me post this pic to show you what was in there and maybe it will tell you more if you dont mind ? Thank you again for the reply I want my bike back :crying:

#16 ·
Yep, check the fuel line and petcock. About the only place that could have come from to get to the carb. Looks like it is time to blow some air through all the ports in the carb to get the smaller pieces of that out.

#20 ·
and for whats its worth, previous owner plugged the tube behind the air intake for some reason. Crankcase tube there and connected but not other. Rest of PAIR system intact so will prob. order some block off plates and do that to at least get rid of some clutter. Really appreciate the replies

#22 ·
The fuel supply line has deteriorated and needs to be replaced. Mine started coming apart on the inside near the petcock and no matter how far back I cut it, it still kept cracking on the inside when I tried to put it back on the petcock. I spent a dollar at the auto parts store and ran a new line. I made the mistake of putting an inline filter in that line and the bike wouldn't run.

#24 · (Edited)
went out and got a new fuel line , havent checked any of the screens just yet but im thinking something is up with the float although I dont really know how to ensure its working right? Its really clean and moves freely but other than that how would i test it? Next ill check between petcock and tank plus get a new set of plugs

#25 ·
Pull a suction on the fuel valve and have your new fuel line in a container glass jar if possible then look and see if there is junk in it.

Float hook up fuel line to carb hold float up and draw a suction there should be no fuel flow till you drop the float.

#28 ·
With the screen missing and the stuff in the float bowl you need to clean the jets and blow some air or carb cleaner through all ports both ways to clean them out.

#30 ·
ive done that but im thinking i should work from tank down bc im sure its got some gunk floating around now that i see what the screen looks like

#31 ·
Maybe time to clean that tank out real good too. You might have a bunch of that junk floating around on bottom of tank - when you let it sit that sediment/trash floats away from fuel intake but once that suction is applied that stuff will get sucked back and starve it for fuel.

#32 ·
Agreed, ill pick up a new screen when I can make it to dealer as well as carb screen. Figured it start maintenance at the tank and work my way to the carb, no telling whats floating around in the tank and with no protection at all from entering carb

#34 ·
#35 · (Edited)
went out just now after work and noticed the tank vent line- although it was actually there and in place .. it was literally hanging onto tank by a single thread and not sealing any at all on the tank nipple . I just cut 1/4" and put it back on, not sure if that would make any difference in how the bike runs?

I also hooked up new fuel line to tank and a long vacuum hose, siphoned gas with my mouth and it poured out so guess that means petcock is ok? I ended up draining about a half gallon and there was black sediment in the bottom of my white bucket. Kinda hard to see in tank but didnt see any signs of rust. Its almost out of gas but will swish it around a little more to see if i can get anymore stuff out. ive got tank screen and carb screen on order btw

Plan on picking up new plugs as well as some 3.5mm silicone hose to replace vacuum lines, and then trying her out to see what happens. thanks again for all the replies hopefully im getting close!

#37 ·
i had planned on just dumping new gas in, swishing it around as much as i could, drain in white bucket, and repeat until no more sediment comes out. Is there a better or more efficient way to do it you think? id heard vinegar and bb's shaken around but not sure if i need to do all that

#38 ·
so given the gas tank vent line wasnt doing anything at all bc it was torn from around the tank "nipple", would that possibly cause some sort of vapor lock or not allow enough fuel to the carb which may have been part of my problem the whole time ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.