Honda VTX Forum banner

Polarized filter on odo replacement

12K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to fixing my odometer / tripmeter fogging. People keep saying you have to buy a whole new unit, but I'm cheap, and then your mileage is off
I bought the polarizing film off eBay. It was for a gameboy, but any film for a cell phone, corvette, etc will probably work. Just make sure that it has self adhesive. Again, I bought the cheap one, so it probably won't last as long, but I will cover the ODO while the scoot is parked at work.
I started by removing the unit and stripping it down half way. You don't have to remove the back. Here it is plugged in. You can see the offending film.

See pic 1

Here's a pic of the film once I peeled it off. Fog city!

See 2nd pic

Once I got the film, there was still glue had to be removed. I tried a plastic scraper and finger nails, but a soft rag and iso alcohol did the trick. Took longer to get the glue off than any of the rest of the repair. Couldn't get a clear pic of the glue (like the pic with the film is clear, lol). Next pic is of the cleaned odo plugged back in. Can't barely make out the numbers.

3rd etc

I set the filter over the display, to make sure it oriented properly. This first pic ain't.

blah blah #4

The next pic is turned 9o degrees. Correct, and very readable.

last pic

Now reassemble, install, and enjoy being able to use the trip meter to estimate the gas tank refill.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Bogus, they were there for me, now they are not. I will add them as attachments, in order.

#6 ·
Jamma--I made a PDF doc, is this ok with you?
Hans, you help so many of us here with your knowledge, I'm honored.
I will update this, as the film longevity is my main concern. Wasn't a hard job, but if I have to to it again, I'll spend a little more on the film.

#7 · (Edited)
Jamma--can you provide some verbiage in regards to opening the speedo, removing the needle and resetting the needle.
Have you tried to set the needle more CCW to get the speedo accurate???
Someone may have done this recently..

Cycle Graphix has instructions to open the speedo.
I can copy that.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/96-1300-section/230611-1300-speedo-led-faceplate-swap.html?action=thread
There is also a downloadable PDF file that has info/pix on How to change backlight leds--by Jim-Eye.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12502&d=1278872650

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I did a write up on calibrating the speedo needle for a 1300. Its located at the Cafe.
The accuracy ends out to be +/- 10% verses -10 +0.
Neebie--could you give us a link to that thread?? Are you using another login there?

Excellent information and PDF. On your ODO the film was already peeling and coming loose?
Steve--not my pix. Text and pix by Jammer. CORRECTION> Jamma
Original PDF removed, updated version uploaded.
I just compiled the info.

#16 ·
Hans, Sorry I'm late in the response. I figured there were other posts about removing the speedo unit, and it seems lots of peeps have stepped up.

... the film was already peeling and coming loose?
Yes, but the glue was way harder to remove than the film. I suspect that'll be the case even if your film is not bubbling.

... did you have to cut the filter to size?
Yes, I did trim the film. I bought mine off eBay, but as stated, make sure you get the one that has glue built on. There probably is a glue for the non-tacky film, but I didn't want to take a chance on ruining the LCD display.
I found one for vehicles (Corvette), which means it is probably UV rated, but $25 is tough money for a little sheet of film. As stated, I don't know how this will hold up in the sun. My original one lasted 12 years. I will definitely be covering my ODO when I park in the sun.

#14 · (Edited)
Post 43 is even better.
Info and both pix: before and after
Thank You!
I opened the speedo in 2007 or so, when I saw the dual windings for the meter I closed it again.
My old GPS lives on the VTX so the GPS is used.
It is slightly above the handlebar so much safer than looking at the tank mounted speedo.
Early this month my truck borrowed the GPS so it was strange to use the VTX speedo.
From 50-65 using the speedo +10 MPH puts me about 5 MPH above the speed limit which is normally my speed.

#15 · (Edited)
Great writeup! Very interested in doing this mod as my odometer is completely donzo except at night. I found a set on amazon for cheap. They all seem to big though, did you have to cut the filter to size?

#19 ·
A filter for LCD display.
Probably does not matter.
In the Step by Step section a PDF.

Reactions: SUMDATX
#22 ·
I got mine done today,
Dennis

I'm sure the peeps in the thread from 2016 & 2020 appreciate your update. 👏 (y)

The fogging of the OD is yet another reason to cover your bike when it has to sit in the sun for hours on end. My paint faded over the years some due to my not realizing how harmful UV rays are.