Honda VTX Forum banner

Rear brake pad

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  billeng 
#1 ·
I need a new rear brake pad. What are your recommendations?

What about ceramic? I have heard mixed reviews on them

#2 ·
I have used nothing but OEM.
I believe the general consenus is OEM.
Two sets rear(27k) to one front set(56k miles).
Always had more friction on rear(hotter disk) than front.
I changed piston seals, will see if they last longer.

#4 ·
34.00 for a set of pads that were picked, by Honda, for their ability to properly function on a specific motorcycle does not seem unreasonable to me. Divide that dollar amount by the miles they last.

I go aftermarket on a few things, but things like brakes I always keep OEM, car or bike.

#5 ·
I agree Tugg, I've read about too many problems with the cheaper ones. Seems this is one area where price is not an issue for me....and I'm a tightwad !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
In my experience with the Honda VTX 1300R with a lot of hard riding the OEMs last longer. The best EBCs lasted about half as long. I think OEMs are thicker. Other motorcycle brands may be different.

OEMs are not expensive even at the dealer.

#9 ·
At about 11k my stock pads on my 1300 where about done front and rear. I put OEM back on it.
My 1800 is at just over 13k and the pads front and rear are not going to last the rest of the season. They will get OEM pads as well when the time comes.

#10 ·
Well my Honda pads came in and I installed them last night. Simple job. While at it I installed my speed bleeders and flushed out the dot 4 with new. Wow what a difference! My pads where right at the end of their life. One thing odd I noticed. I had that cricket sound you hear so much about. I installed the pads and tested them. I still had the cricket noise. I flush the fluid with new and the cricket noise disappeared. Don't know what caused it, but it's gone now.
The brakes are strong. I can stop on a dime using my little finger.

#11 ·
I did both front and rear pads several weeks ago. I always use OEM. I purchased them last fall from DLP when they were on sale. Around $56 and change for the set to my door. To me it doesn't seem worth saving 10 or 15 bucks on something as important as brake pads. And the OEM pads has lasted over 20K miles (and I could have gone another 8 to 10K on the front pads). Just my two cents.

#12 ·
I appreciate the info Bill, I paid more than that. I ordered them through the local Honda shop and got them fast with no shipping. But I think I'll try DLP next time. I agree, these pads are something your life literally depends on. Mine lasted the same 20K. Good stuff.

#13 ·
I am curious. You guys getting 20K out of your pads, or less, do you ride mostly stop and go or brake hard often?

I run 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year. I flush the fluid with the use of speed bleeders every two years per book. My original OEM pads I replaced, F and R, at 38,850 miles. Both still had plenty of wear left and appeared almost new, or at least as thick as the new EBCs. I only replaced because I had new EBCs on hand and I was leaving for a long trip.

On that note, the replaced EBCs were shot at 100,239. I went back to OEMs. So yes my OEMs were replaced with almost 40K but many more miles were left on them. The EBCs lasted about 60K but nothing left. I am sure the OEMs would have far out lasted the EBCs if I would not have changed them early.

Most of my miles are touring which includes high speed interstate riding, secondary roads, and mountain back roads that require some serious braking depending on how aggressive I feel that day.

I figure I am safe by expecting 50K out of the OEMs given the above facts and riding style. However, I check them before often.

I am just wondering why so many of you have to replace the pads so often. I admit it is not difficult and the cost of the pads is not much of an issue even when bought from the dealer. And I agree it is cheap insurance even if the dealer does the work. I can get home if it stops running but if it doesn't stop, probably not.

Am I missing something after 50 years of replacing pads and shoes?

#14 ·
Of course the mileage depends on the type of riding. I have a good deal of stop and go riding on mine. Another factor is if you use the engine to slow you down. I do don't do that much either. So perhaps my brakes are working harder than yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.