Honda VTX Forum banner

Chasing down a vibration rattle

860 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  vegas_vtx 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out where this vibration/rattle is coming from.
It's kind of a buzzing sound around 40/45mph+.

Kind of sounds like something from the fairing or speedo cluster. (I recently took apart the speedo from the housing to replace the felt gasket around the two. I'm 98% sure I put back all the little plastic shims around the bolts. The fairing seemed secure, I even opened the headlight bucket to check in there since one of my driving lights was not working.

The only thing I can figure is the right side bolt by my fairing windshield by the brake reservoir is vibrating enough to hit the reservoir.

I'm inclined to turn the brake a little to fix it.
I can't move the fairing up any higher. I might be able to tilt it down a touch, but I'm not sure if I have any more tilt.

#2 ·
Before I took the time to move the brake, I would find a piece of rubber or foam and put it between the bolt and the reservoir, and take the bike for a ride. If the vibration sound disappears, then you know you are on the right track. If it is still there, then you've saved yourself the time of moving the brake.

#4 ·
Just found a rattle , if you have stock ex , clamps the hold heat shield on ex pipes loosened the upper one must be positioned and clamped down . My screws in headlight housing were loose . Steering lock and helmet lock were loose .but the rear ex pipe shield was making the rattle on mine.

#5 ·
Well... When I took off the tank and air box for the pair valve mod, I noticed I think2 bolts on the air cover were missing the plastic grommets where others were thinner than other ones.
I plan on stopping by my local non big co hardware store to get some o-rings to replace them.
Might be cheaper by the dozen. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.