PAIR valve removal and carb - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

PAIR valve removal and carb

I have my 2007 VTX 1300S apart for maintenance. This would be a good time to remove the PAIR valve. I know thee is a thread regarding this, but I can't find it. Someone please post the link.
Also I thought it would be a good time to check the needles in the carb. I have the manual, but maybe someone could give me a short cut or other advice.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppbobby View Post
I have my 2007 VTX 1300S apart for maintenance. This would be a good time to remove the PAIR valve. I know thee is a thread regarding this, but I can't find it. Someone please post the link.
Also I thought it would be a good time to check the needles in the carb. I have the manual, but maybe someone could give me a short cut or other advice.
Bob

I don't have the thread but I'll look for it.

Be careful not to pinch or kink the vent tube running between the jugs from the left side to the carb.

If you are approaching 100,000 miles I would replace the slide valve, honda calls it the diaphragm piston. My 1300 was running great and good mpg. However, there was a pin hole in the slide valve so it was time. Glad I was replacing it. Since I do very long trips, 9K miles, and at times out in Nowhere. Needle OK.

I did not but I probably should have replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm while I was at it as precautionary.

As a preventative I did the petcock and rectifier/regulator also. Someone on here said their rectifier/regulator went out after 100K. I did not want to take any chances. All of this was at 96,000 miles and before a long trip to Alaska and Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I did not want to take any chances.

I have never had anything break while out on the road so far with 125,000 miles on it. It has always ran great and mpg running a real 70 to 80 without a wind is consistently in the upper 30s. This is actually better than when new.

I did remember a site for the PAIR valve: tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1300-desmog/

If that doesn't get you there just google VTX 1300 Desmog Bareass Choppers tech.

Have a good one.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm68 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 129k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroys73 View Post

Be careful not to pinch or kink the vent tube running between the jugs from the left side to the carb.

If you are approaching 100,000 miles I would replace the slide valve, honda calls it the diaphragm piston. My 1300 was running great and good mpg. However, there was a pin hole in the slide valve so it was time. Glad I was replacing it. Since I do very long trips, 9K miles, and at times out in Nowhere. Needle OK.

I did not but I probably should have replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm while I was at it as precautionary.

As a preventative I did the petcock and rectifier/regulator also. Someone on here said their rectifier/regulator went out after 100K. I did not want to take any chances. All of this was at 96,000 miles and before a long trip to Alaska and Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I did not want to take any chances.

I have never had anything break while out on the road so far with 125,000 miles on it. It has always ran great and mpg running a real 70 to 80 without a wind is consistently in the upper 30s. This is actually better than when new.

I did remember a site for the PAIR valve: tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1300-desmog/

If that doesn't get you there just google VTX 1300 Desmog Bareass Choppers tech.

Have a good one.
Thanks for the reply.
I have 27,000 miles on my bike. I was recovering from a broken leg this year, so I didn't ride much. And last year at this time I was in a wheel chair, so I didn't do my maintenance last winter. I just checked the rear cylinder, and the clearance is OK. I will do the front tomorrow.
Thanks for the info about the carb, and I'll check out the smog link too.
Bob

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:29 PM

Broken leg hey, I have one now also. A foot or leg problem sure slows a man down.

Freak deal on the Cabot Trail in northern Nova Scotia back in August. I was slowing to a stop at a scenic overlook and hit a very deep pothole. X was fine but it fell on my leg and broke it. The next night I was to be on a ferry to Newfoundland instead I was in a Nova Scotia hospital.

Everyone up there were great and took good care of me. I had Med Jet but didn't use it for me but they did ship my X back. It is slow healing but it could have been much worse.

I'm now three shorter trips behind my plans for this year plus I didn't get to go to Newfoundland and Labrador which have been on my list for some time.

We'll be ready for next year. You have many miles of trouble free enjoyment ahead of you on your VTX.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm68 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 129k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:32 AM

Garage
Here's what you need to know for removing that PAIR system...

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1300-desmog/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

'07 VTX 1800F spec 3
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Broken leg hey, I have one now also. A foot or leg problem sure slows a man down.

Freak deal on the Cabot Trail in northern Nova Scotia back in August. I was slowing to a stop at a scenic overlook and hit a very deep pothole. X was fine but it fell on my leg and broke it. The next night I was to be on a ferry to Newfoundland instead I was in a Nova Scotia hospital.

Everyone up there were great and took good care of me. I had Med Jet but didn't use it for me but they did ship my X back. It is slow healing but it could have been much worse.

I'm now three shorter trips behind my plans for this year plus I didn't get to go to Newfoundland and Labrador which have been on my list for some time.

We'll be ready for next year. You have many miles of trouble free enjoyment ahead of you on your VTX.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate6966 View Post

Got it. My bike is in pieces now, so it should not be that difficult to do.
Thank you.
Bob
nate6966 likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate6966 View Post

Got it done.
Bob
nate6966 likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Do you have any pics of that tube for reference?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Do you have any pics of that tube for reference?
It is the one call crankcase hose on the top of the front cylinder beside the reed valve cover

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/wp-c...front_reed.jpg

Laconia 2015

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page