Best Tire for general performance. - Page 3 - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
I guess I must be getting old. My bike is fast enough for me, and the tires keep me on the road. My pipes are loud enough for me, and yet quiet enough for the neighbors. When I push the button, she starts. I suppose I'm just getting easy to please in my old age!!!
SeaSteve likes this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:58 AM

Garage
New to the forum but here is my opinion on the tire matter. I recommend read the reviews first. I had bad experience with dunlop's (404) they were shot in one season less than 5000 miles. More important I took the bike back to the dealer who contacted the dunlop rep who simply said yep they are worn out and did nothing. I will never buy a product that is sub-standard and the company will not back it up. Crap tires and the reviews support they are junk, this is why I say read reviews first. (learned my lesson).

Having said that I have two bikes and I am running Kenda on my Yamaha and I love these tires. 8000 miles and they look great.
Now my VTX will get Michelin commander 2 when I need them. I have never used these before but I like to try new tires and my friends love them and reviews support the performance.
Tires are personal but I will say I have been happy with the Kenda's and will give them a thumbs up if they are on your radar it's a good buy.

Cheers from St Louis
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 AM

I have used two sets of Metzeler tires on my present bike 2006 VTX1300R which has about 44K on it.. I also used them on my previous bike. I have had relatively good luck with them. If you do not count getting screws or nails in the rear tire on two or three occasions. They seem to performance better than the original Dunlaps and I just checked the other day and now have just a few miles below 17K on front and back. I am planning to order new ones soon primarily because they are getting some wear, and I am running on a plug on the back one due to a nail I picked up a month or so ago. Normally the back wears quicker but this time they both seem about even. I plan to replace them in the next few months,but they still have some wear left on them. I used the ME-880 on the front and the ME888 on the rear. I am using the 880 on front because they do not make the correct size in the 888. The only thing I do differently is I have stiff shocks on the rear, and Progressive springs in the forks, and I keep about 38-40 PSI in both front and back.
RBS likes this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:59 AM

I typically run Metz, but I currently have a set of Shinkos on my X and they look almost new with 2500 miles on them. However, this summer I'm doing the USA 4 corners ride and am switching the Shinkos out for Michelin Commander IIs. The Michelin are suppose to be a good tire with about a 15K range. I guess I'll find out this summer.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:01 PM

I run with Shimkos, currently have 17,300 on the front. I ordered a new front tire (shimko again) for when I will have to change it. I compared the old with the new and figure I can get at least another 1k out of the front. I also have them balance the tire and I use ride on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 1300R
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:03 PM

eff me and my fat fingers, Shinkos, (doh)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 1300R
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 AM

I been using the new Metzler's tires on my r for a few years . I run 40 psi front and 32 psi in rear , I ride solo. I tried 41 in rear once and the tire wore out in the center pretty quick , plus I like the softer ride. I got 15k on a set now and still alot of treat left . I used to wear out tires pretty quick but I was riding in the right side of the lane, I started riding left side of the lane and really makes difference in tire wear .Our roads are really slanted for drainage. Only advice I can give is to stay away from the Dunlop's , allthogh I did get 14k on the rear Dunlop k555j rear and liked its grip . All in all I'm a Metzler's man , but would like to try a set of Michelin's as I've never been disappointed with them on my car .
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon518 View Post
I run with Shimkos, currently have 17,300 on the front. I ordered a new front tire (shimko again) for when I will have to change it. I compared the old with the new and figure I can get at least another 1k out of the front. I also have them balance the tire and I use ride on.
How many you have on the rear?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 AM

I get 10k on a rear with the Shinkos. Still working on my first front shinko. Not a bad tire for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 VTX-1300c,, Mustang 75651, HK K2's, Scar, , Progressive Front Springs, All Balls Steering Bearings, Mapam Sissy Bar and Forward Controls Viking Hard Bags with Quick Release Mounts, Reckless Fairing with Kenwood KMR-M315BT Marine Grade Radio with XM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page