Best Tire for general performance. - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Best Tire for general performance.

After looking through many forum threads and gathering information on tire sizes, what fits, what looks good, darksiders, it left me questioning which is best for all around performance.

I like the look of dark side tires as well as the 'fat' tire look but when it comes to take off, torque, acceleration, and coming off the line fast, which tire size and style is best? The dark side car tires seem like they have the most grip off line but is it best for what i'm looking for; looks aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Darkside preference is a bit subjective. You either like it or you don't. Some have tried and changed back to a bike tyre, most stay darkside. The only way you'll know for sure is to try it. Most that ride darkside will tell you that a car tire is as good in the corners as a bike tyre. It's justy a matter of preference.

I personally prefer a bike tyre, but it's only my preference and I never did spend any time trying to get used to the car tire. It just felt weird to me so I never converted.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Garage
That is such a loaded question (personal preference). I like the Metz (radial) rear, & a Michelin (bias) front. Always 40 psi. Never had an issue with either. I plan to try the Dunlop American Elites next. I consistently get 15k on rear an over 25k on front.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt E View Post
That is such a loaded question (personal preference). I like the Metz (radial) rear, & a Michelin (bias) front. Always 40 psi. Never had an issue with either. I plan to try the Dunlop American Elites next. I consistently get 15k on rear an over 25k on front.

I know it is. Preference aside, looks aside, pure performance, traction, takeoff, etc

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Darkside preference is a bit subjective. You either like it or you don't. Some have tried and changed back to a bike tyre, most stay darkside. The only way you'll know for sure is to try it. Most that ride darkside will tell you that a car tire is as good in the corners as a bike tyre. It's justy a matter of preference.

I personally prefer a bike tyre, but it's only my preference and I never did spend any time trying to get used to the car tire. It just felt weird to me so I never converted.

All that is understood boss; i am trying to get my 1300C to have a sporty cruiser feel to it. With that said, i am looking for whichever style tire will optimize performer. All preferences aside (i.e. if dark side is best for performance i will learn to like it)

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
The Metzlers are a top performer..
RBS and lofty like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolscarlos199 View Post
All that is understood boss; i am trying to get my 1300C to have a sporty cruiser feel to it. With that said, i am looking for whichever style tire will optimize performer. All preferences aside (i.e. if dark side is best for performance i will learn to like it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt E View Post
The Metzlers are a top performer..
IMHO, I agree with Curt. Metzler was my preferred on my 1800. I had a 200 on my 1800 and it was pretty sticky. Didn't last as long as the others but had great performance and I liked the look.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
I use Metzlers. Front and rear. 55000 miles, on my forth set.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffly View Post
I use Metzlers. Front and rear. 55000 miles, on my forth set.

Which Tire sizes do you use specifically for the front & rear?

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:24 PM

Not sure what you mean by performance. If this is an everyday cruise your not going to notice a performance difference in the tires, unless the tire is are low on air or completely bald. Putting a darkside tire or a AM21 (a 230 tire) on the back of your bike isn't going to give you more excelleration than a stock tire. I would be more concerned about handling. I have the AM21 on my stock 1300C rim, I love it doesn't make my bike faster or give it more power but it is a better ride all around specially since I ride in he rain and the cold still waiting for snow so I can ride in the snow once. But I will feel confident with the tire I have to be able to ride in the snow without it sliding out to a side on me. With that said here is a side view and back view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BackTire 230.jpg (624.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Bike Without Back Rest.jpg (604.4 KB, 30 views)

'05 VTX 1300C
Future Plans: Always Changing

Mr. VTX Carb Cleaning 101 Guide
Mr. VTX Interal Handle Bar Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page