Intermittent power loss - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent power loss

I'm having some trouble with my 2005 VTX 1300C that's driving me freakin' crazy. I can't find a pattern, nor can I pinpoint the issue, I only have theories. I'm hoping one of you guys have had or heard of this before and can help me out.

My bike, at times, falls on its face when I crank the throttle more than about 50%. It doesn't matter which gear it is. As long as I'm just cruisin' around I can ride just fine, but if I have to pass someone or accelerate hard out of a turn (interstate on-ramps) the bike just hits a wall and acts like its being physically restrained. Downshifting only makes it worse. HOWEVER, about 25% of the time I'd say the bike is perfectly fine and pulls hard through all the gears and >50% throttle makes it pull even harder (as it should).

For example, if I'm riding on the interstate at 70 mph and I need to pass someone, if I gradually open the throttle the bike accelerates but at some point of the throttle position the acceleration levels off, AND the bike will not go over 80 mph, even with the throttle pinned. Then there are times that the bike pulls hard from 65 mph well on past 80 mph and feels nice and strong. And, as I said before, this "wall" I hit happens no matter which gear I'm in, so it's purely rpm based.

I've cleaned the K&N air filter, done an oil change, checked valve clearances, checked spark plug wire tightness, changed plugs, dismantled and cleaned the carb, and replaced the regulator/rectifier (unrelated--it was dying and needed done, but I figured I'd mention everything I've touched). The battery is new too, but, again, that's unrelated. I also changed the main jet in my Factory Pro kit down one size, but I doubt that would cause this problem, especially since it's a periodic problem. Also, the bike ran just fine for a long while after the swap. I can't figure out what the problem is. I thought for a while that maybe the regulator/rectifier was affecting the spark enough to cause higher rpm lag, but after the swap the bike is the same (only now it sits at 14+V rather than 12V when running).

The bike has just shy of 60,000 miles. Could I have an ignition coil going bad? Wires? Or is there something I'm missing that's obvious to one of you? I will say that when the bike is acting up, there's no sputtering or after-fire or anything like that. It just feels like I have some heavy load I'm trying to pull or something. Also, this happens no matter if the bike is cold or warm. Sometimes I'll leave for work and the bike is running awesome, then half way to work I twist the throttle and it falls on its face, then other times it's the opposite: runs like crap at first, then suddenly on the trip I can pass people with ease and the bike feels really powerful. I don't get it.

Thanks for reading. I really need to get this straight.

2005 VTX 1300C.................................................. ...2006 Kawi ZZR600 street fighter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:51 PM

Garage
Have you checked the slide valve diaphragm???
I had some of those symptons when mine had a few tears in it.
Vacuum hoses, fuel petcock???
Try the petcock mod to make it work w/o vacuum..
frnkcat likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

The vacuum hoses, last I checked, looked fine. I don't know what the petcock mod is you speak of, but I would rather not bother with that. I don't recall seeing any tears in the slide valve diaphragm when I had the carb off. It's frustrating because it comes and goes. For the last few days the bike has been running great more than it's been running poorly; other weeks it's the opposite.

I guess I could replace the vacuum hoses; not like they're expensive. Thanks for the reply.

2005 VTX 1300C.................................................. ...2006 Kawi ZZR600 street fighter

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:57 PM

The posts in this link should help you out.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1686905

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Have you checked the slide valve diaphragm???
I had some of those symptons when mine had a few tears in it.

Thats what I would check first also...

Chasing down problems can be a total Pain!!!!
1 step at a time..........

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 AM

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Hope you get it sorted.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:14 AM

First thing I'd check is all the ground, connections and terminations.
Then for water in the fuel tank.
Then have coil tested.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Travis View Post
The posts in this link should help you out.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1686905
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post
Thats what I would check first also...

Chasing down problems can be a total Pain!!!!
1 step at a time..........

Yeah, it sucks. I hate problems that happen on occasion with no notable pattern. I prefer things to just break and stay that way. Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy2575 View Post
I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Hope you get it sorted.
I'll keep the thread updated for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeepS View Post
First thing I'd check is all the ground, connections and terminations.
Then for water in the fuel tank.
Then have coil tested.
All electrical connections should be good. That's one of the first things I did. I did have tear in my right rear spark plug boot from changing plugs. I pulled it at the wrong angle and tore it. I taped it back up, but I don't think I damaged anything other than the outer boot part. I did pull the boot off of the wire, cut the wire back to expose clean copper, then screwed the boot back on. No change (I was really hoping that was the issue--maybe it still is, I don't know). I grabbed a spark plug wire kit from an auto parts store, but I still need to take the time to cut the wires to length and to check that the connectors will fit the spark plugs. There shouldn't be an issue re-doing my plug wires this way if I understand correctly.

There's no water in the tank. That bike doesn't sit long enough to accumulate any moisture in the tank, and my gas cap doesn't leak (I test this every time I ride in the rain. Ha ha.)

I'll look through my manual to see if there is a section on coil testing. I work as an electrical engineer, so I really just need to see what values I'm looking for, so I hope the manual has them. I've been wrapped up with work, school, and my old truck. The truck is just about done, so I'll tackle the Honda this weekend perhaps.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Just in case check the throttle position sensor its very easy to check with the manuel ... Good Luck !!!

Laconia 2015
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
The battery is new too, but, again, that's unrelated.
Did this start happening after swapping out batt?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page