My First Bike - Page 2 - VTXOA
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:59 AM

Very nice Bike! Welcome to the board. I agree, work on the tires first. I bought my first VTX last year and it is an 07' VTX 1300 R with 2700 miles on it. Road all last year on original tires and just had them replaced with Michellin Commander II's and I did the stem bushings with the All Balls, I gotta tell ya' it now rides like a brand new bike!! Enjoy and be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlngus View Post
Very nice Bike! Welcome to the board. I agree, work on the tires first. I bought my first VTX last year and it is an 07' VTX 1300 R with 2700 miles on it. Road all last year on original tires and just had them replaced with Michellin Commander II's and I did the stem bushings with the All Balls, I gotta tell ya' it now rides like a brand new bike!! Enjoy and be safe.
Thank you. It's bare bones right now. I have a few things I want to add and have already.......one thing I'm thinking about is checking valve clearance. I need to keep looking though, not finding blow by blow instructions I need. Bare Heinee Chopper has them for the 1800. I love wrenches and tinkering. From what I understand it's pretty easy and an easy way to save some cash. I'll keep looking.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama1300 View Post
I think that you will be happy as long as you keep in mind what this bike was meant to be.
Really curious what you mean by this. Sounds like pure wisdom, but being new to all this can you expand on that please, I want to learn! Thanks, Rog

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtovtx View Post
Welcome! You have a great looking bike. I'm in the same boat as you, my first bike is a 2003 1300s. Like you I hope to contribute some day, so, I'll start now. If the tires are original, as Alabama1300 suggested, you'll want to get some new ones. What I've learned on here is that tires should be changed every 5 years or so due to dry rot, etc. Might check vacuum lines as well for the same reason. Have fun and keep us posted!
Thank you! I was just searching that topic. I was thinking if those are indeed original, they need to go. Thank you Alabama 1300 for your observation!!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 AM

Nice looking bike welcome to the group!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlngus View Post
dringus, as my bike is sitting dormant here in MN, I've been looking at old posts. Your post is confirming what I've been researching. It was noted by another member that my tires were original. Being new to MC's I knew enough I need to be concerned if those were original tires. They are not. Bought in 14 but basically OEM tires. Dun's 755 I think on the rear and the OEM on the front. Someone ranted on these tires saying they are trash. I took that to heart and started researching. Just last nite, my research to me the Mich Com II's you mention. Tonite I read your post and that seals it. I'm going to shop for best price and just do it. There's lots of tread on the Dun's but I read they are really poor tires. All that (whew, nearly a book I've written here. I could copyright this post and sell it @ B. Dalton Booksellers) for this......thanks for this post. I know there's a lot of opinions on tires, but I've about wore myself out researching and I've made my decision. Thanks again. Rog~

2006 1300C is what I'm working on........

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 01-31-2017 at 09:54 PM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsavage View Post
Nice looking bike welcome to the group!!!!!!!!
Thank you.....it's pure stock (still good looking) but I'm slowly making inroads. Since I'm new to it all, I had to buy engine guards. I have big feet. I need boards. Searched for what I thot was good lookin and settled on Paladin guards and Cobra Swept (?) foot boards. I love the look of a bike without engine guards, but if I minimize as much damage should when I tip in training. I like the look of a solo seat. I ordered one......but the poor design would not even let me get the wrench where it needed to go to tighten the bolt. Nice looking seat. Price too good to be true.......I should have known. Thankfully I can return it.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:12 PM

Mine were Dunlops and looked still brand new, but I decided to replace because of the age of them. I will tell you the Michellin's handle much better so far for what I put on them (about 150 miles)
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Garage
By the way - I checked out your photography page https://7d-efphotography.smugmug.com/ - Very Cool!
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate6966 View Post
By the way - I checked out your photography page https://7d-efphotography.smugmug.com/ - Very Cool!
Thanks Nate. I've been doing the nature, bird, railroad photography for a long time. I really needed to challenge myself in doing something different. I heard about a bikers rally and thought that just might be what I needed to do to challenge myself. Bikers portraits. I have never been close to a motorcycle before and all of a sudden I found myself in the middle of thousands of them. That is how I got bit by the bug.

If anyone is interested, I also do digital recording. That is really a niche hobby but I find it a lot of fun. I'll also include the link to my recordings below and if you scroll down you'll get to the bikers rally called Flood Run. You really need a set of headphones or just plain ear buds to really get the full effect of the sound. I think it's kind of cool.
https://soundcloud.com/user-519490437

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 02-03-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page