Honda VTX Forum banner

My First Bike

11K views 128 replies 24 participants last post by  heffly 
#1 ·
This is my bare bones 1300C. It's a 2006 with 6500 mi. The guy took great care of it and to my good, it's in wonderful condition. I look forward to building a somewhat "custom" bike and learning a lot from the forum as it's my first bike. Forums are wonderful! At some point I hope I can contribute to the knowledge base. But for now, I'm learning. Thank you for all the help I know I'll receive from the forum. Rog~

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks very clean and very original (even still has the original tires). I always like starting a project with a stock original bike so that I'm not working around any "bad" modifications. I have a very original 2005 1300C that I've owned since new and love it. I think that you will be happy as long as you keep in mind what this bike was meant to be. Good luck and post your progress. This forum has help me, a great place for knowledge and even wisdom at times!

#4 ·
Welcome! You have a great looking bike. I'm in the same boat as you, my first bike is a 2003 1300s. Like you I hope to contribute some day, so, I'll start now. If the tires are original, as Alabama1300 suggested, you'll want to get some new ones. What I've learned on here is that tires should be changed every 5 years or so due to dry rot, etc. Might check vacuum lines as well for the same reason. Have fun and keep us posted!

#6 ·
Nice bike. Nice color too. Welcome from KY. Take it and make her your own. Just keep in mind that the 'mods' never seem to end!!!!

Reactions: grizzlygar
#11 ·
Very nice Bike! Welcome to the board. I agree, work on the tires first. I bought my first VTX last year and it is an 07' VTX 1300 R with 2700 miles on it. Road all last year on original tires and just had them replaced with Michellin Commander II's and I did the stem bushings with the All Balls, I gotta tell ya' it now rides like a brand new bike!! Enjoy and be safe.

#12 ·
Thank you. It's bare bones right now. I have a few things I want to add and have already.......one thing I'm thinking about is checking valve clearance. I need to keep looking though, not finding blow by blow instructions I need. Bare Heinee Chopper has them for the 1800. I love wrenches and tinkering. From what I understand it's pretty easy and an easy way to save some cash. I'll keep looking.

#17 ·
Thank you.....it's pure stock (still good looking) but I'm slowly making inroads. Since I'm new to it all, I had to buy engine guards. I have big feet. I need boards. Searched for what I thot was good lookin and settled on Paladin guards and Cobra Swept (?) foot boards. I love the look of a bike without engine guards, but if I minimize as much damage should when I tip in training. I like the look of a solo seat. I ordered one......but the poor design would not even let me get the wrench where it needed to go to tighten the bolt. Nice looking seat. Price too good to be true.......I should have known. Thankfully I can return it.

#19 ·
Reactions: Cuthbert J Twillie
#20 · (Edited)
Thanks Nate. I've been doing the nature, bird, railroad photography for a long time. I really needed to challenge myself in doing something different. I heard about a bikers rally and thought that just might be what I needed to do to challenge myself. Bikers portraits. I have never been close to a motorcycle before and all of a sudden I found myself in the middle of thousands of them. That is how I got bit by the bug.

If anyone is interested, I also do digital recording. That is really a niche hobby but I find it a lot of fun. I'll also include the link to my recordings below and if you scroll down you'll get to the bikers rally called Flood Run. You really need a set of headphones or just plain ear buds to really get the full effect of the sound. I think it's kind of cool.
https://soundcloud.com/user-519490437

#23 · (Edited)
Just be careful with buying accessories. It's very easy to get bitten by the bug. Spent a lot more in accessories than cost of the bike.

Engine guard is the first thing I'd put on it, which I think you have done already. Personally, I go with the thickest single-union bars I could get, so I got the Cobra Fatties. I saw live a guy get t-boned by a car at slow speed. His legs were spared by the beefy single-union engine guard, which was bent by the force of the hit. Paladin bars (batwing style ones) would not have protected his legs, I guarantee you that. T-bone was only at 10 mph, enough to destroy a male's leg upon direct contact.

Thinking about what could have happened to the guy's leg without the thick engine guard gives me chills. I'm sold on thick beefy engine guards. I even put rear engine guards and beefy fiberglass bags just in case. Well, the bags are also very useful as I mostly ride with my girlfriend and they look great on my Retro.

#25 ·
Thinking about what could have happened to the guy's leg without the thick engine guard gives me chills. I'm sold on thick beefy engine guards. I even put rear engine guards and beefy fiberglass bags just in case. Well, the bags are also very useful as I mostly ride with my girlfriend and they look great on my Retro.
I understand what you're saying. My plan is to ride rural, no hiways, no towns, no interstates. I live in rural setting. Every car is a threat. By keeping it rural, I think I give myself better odds. But, anything can happen. We roll the dice every time we roll onto a street. I plan on playing the smartest game I can. Happy trails Dude! Rog~

#29 ·
Nice bike! I agree on the crash bars/engine guards and good rubber.

Ride it a bit and see what you're not comfortable with before doing customizing. If the seat hurts your arse get a better one. If you can't see cars in your mirrors get different ones. If you need to carry more luggage get a trunk. Nothing wrong with a stock bike unless it's uncomfortable to ride. IMO

#30 ·
New rubber arrives next week. I've added the engine guards and floor boards. That's it for now. Tomorrow I take off the wheels, do a little wet sanding. I do have new pipes to put on. They won't go on until after the new rubber is mounted. So actually I've done a fair amount already. The paint is in great shape. No scratches/dents. She will shine. I'll post some pics soon.

#32 · (Edited)
Why not discuss safety!

What about a modulating headlamp? I think the brake lamp pulser, for lack of a better term, would be a good thing.

LED replacement lamp for the headlamp....how about turn signals. I guess I'm looking for someone that's done it and has an opinion......or heck, what anybody thinks.

I don't want lots of add-ons. I'm going for a sleek look. I love simplicity.

#33 ·
#35 ·
If you're interested in a brake light pulse, check out this thread...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381514

PM Slip and he can set you up with an inexpensive option fire that. Works well on my bike
Thank you Nate! Here's what I accomplished today. A beautiful Feb winter day. Pulled the wheels/tires for sanding and mounting of new tires. I also pulled the stock exhaust. I haven't got a dedicated shop. An empty garage works. As soon as the wheels are sanded and new tires mounted the new exhaust goes on. Of course there's all the "body work" that needs to be done too. Paint is perfect, no faults at all. I have a chrome grill for the radiator to mount as well. Beyond that.......I'm not going to do much more. I have to investigate a sissy bar and luggage rack. I don't plan on any passengers, but need to strap my camera bag to something. After the garage was picked up, I retired to the deck with my corncob pipe and Lane Black-cherry tobacco. Life is good!

#36 ·
I was looking for a black bike, but this one landed in front of me. I fell in love with the color right of way. I'm glad I didn't end up with black. The other color that really catches my eye is Nate's Blueberry Pearl. But......I'm happy.

Yup, got the new tires and new battery. I'm probably going to keep it as close to stock as I can. I like the look.

Thanks, Rog~

#37 ·
I have these LEDs in the headlamp right now.....best light so far for ME....http://www.ebay.com/itm/26214995313...w6dNWTKPt&vxp=mtr&quantity=1&autorefresh=true

I and a few others have also added small lights from walmart, removed the halogen and modified for LED bulbs. Mounted on the light bar or crash/hiway bar. I took out the halogen and put 400 lumen LED MR-16 bulbs in 6k. Adds a good bit of light on the front for recognition. I dont do alot of night riding so being seen is my thing.
On the rear I have Tsukaya bags with modulating, flashing brake lights in them. LED are showing up in everything I was looking at a new set for the front at Advance Auto.....800 lumens a piece......ride safe safe travels

#38 ·
That's awesome that you've done your tires yourself. Great way to know you bike.

Just be aware that you should put everything back in without skipping a single piece as the chances of the bike developing a vibrating noise are really high. Lots of threads with guys who changed their tires and right after that a vibrating noise developed from not putting back tires in same way.

#40 ·
Hmmmm.......that's interesting. In looking, reading at the various sources of "how to", in the shop manual, it mentions on the front axel to be sure to index the marks on the left side before tightening. This is the first I heard of that. I've been pretty thorough in making my self smart. But the shop manual is the only place I've heard of the index marks. I sure want to do it the right way and yes, I want to get to know the bike too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.