100/90/19... - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

100/90/19...

So I have been riding my VtX 1300 stock front tire almost down to the metal mesh in the tire. (College student on a budget)

I found a great deal on ebay that i quickly purchased the tire without further verifying it as a perfect match.

Long story short, i bought a Metzler ME 880 100/90/19 instead of the 110/90/19. The tire was "used" but with 95% tread left still(Little hair like gums are still on the tire & i purchased it for $40 +free shipping)

Will this be a bad swap? What should i expect riding wise? Should i try and save for the correct 110/90/19 or can i run this 100/90/19 until it's balled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
I wasnt able to copy the size comparison chart.??
But it will be just a little smaller.
<1/2 inch less Diam.
<1/2 inch less wide Etc etc...
Use it....

Where are you at?? I have a set of Kenda tires for "C" that have about 500 mi on them. Didn like the feel and replaced them.. They are wasting away in my Garage, Free to any member.. Pick up only.. Hesperia, Ca 92345

Last edited by frnkcat; 01-28-2017 at 02:11 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolscarlos199 View Post
So I have been riding my VtX 1300 stock front tire almost down to the metal mesh in the tire. (College student on a budget)

I found a great deal on ebay that i quickly purchased the tire without further verifying it as a perfect match.

Long story short, i bought a Metzler ME 880 100/90/19 instead of the 110/90/19. The tire was "used" but with 95% tread left still(Little hair like gums are still on the tire & i purchased it for $40 +free shipping)

Will this be a bad swap? What should i expect riding wise? Should i try and save for the correct 110/90/19 or can i run this 100/90/19 until it's balled?

I don't mean to preach, but you should never ride a motorcycle tire, "until it's bald" let alone "down to the metal mesh." Your life is literally riding on those tires, and a front tire blowout can kill you, or at least result in a very bad crash. If you can't afford to ride safe, you can't afford to ride, IMHO.

To understand your tire numbers,

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/tires-101/

The first number = tire width, (
millimeters)
The second being the aspect ratio (e.g. how tall the sidewall is from the rim).
The third = the size of your tire's rim (e.g. 19 inches across).

Your 100 mm tire will work, it's just 10 mm less wide than stock.

I'm guessing by your front tire size you're riding a 1300 C?

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM

My body will turn to dirt when heart stops. Until then, it is worth a lot to those that depend on me and the $$ I bring in or vise/versa. This machine needs the best brakes and tires possible. I don't wish to die too soon cause I was trying to save a few bucks. However, I spend a great deal of time trying to get as much tire I can get for the money.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 PM

Garage
It'll fit just fine

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TeepS likes this.

'07 VTX 1800F spec 3
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Seasoned Member

It should fit.

But to echo what others have said: If you can't afford to maintain the bike at a minimal standard, then you can't afford to be riding right now. As mentioned if you don't have the $100 for a new tire, how are you going to afford medical bills if that "down to the metal mesh" tire fails you?

IMO, either re-prioritize your expenses or park the bike until you can afford to operate it. I don't know you at all, and I can safely say your life is worth more than the $100 you saved on a front tire by riding it down that far.

Bub Club member #361
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolscarlos199 View Post

Will this be a bad swap?
What should i expect riding wise?
Should i try and save for the correct 110/90/19 or can i run this 100/90/19 until it's balled?
No
Because the tire is nearly new, as reported by you, the bike will handle turns better, especially initiating turns.
The 100/90/19 will be fine, and DO NOT RUN ANY MOTORCYCLE TIRE UNTIL BALD!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Garage
Replace worn out front ASAP. Front blowouts are nothing nice.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 PM

I'll tell you it fits, without a lecture. I was a poor student once
nate6966 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 AM

yea don't sweat it I will be fine I was in a hurry to get a new front tire on mine it was a fri evening and some friends and I were gonna go on a ride first thing sat morning we ended up only goin a little over 100 miles wasn't until I got home that I realized the shop had installed a 100 90 19 to be honest I didn't really feel any thing bad but I had recently installed an 8* rake with 4 inch fork extensions so I insisted on getting the correct size havein that shorter tire made me worry about my trail numbers I was already close on them probly didn need to be

texasmike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1300c 8 degree rake, cobra pipes, c&c seat, darkside and lots more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page