Battery tender went bad?? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:42 PM

as stated above... Check battery bolts. If still a problem check battery. My tender died after about 8 years. I think it died since I could never get its light to come on. I figured after 8 years of almost continuous use it was about time.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm67 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 124k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The fault interrupter on that garage wall plug tripped two times last week.
Only reason I knew in the rain was my FIOS box is plugged in there also!! LOL

It seems to be working now, maybe it just had to reset or something...???
Oh well $50 new one is on the way...

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 PM

if i remember correctly the flashing green means the battery is 80% charged or better. I notice mine sometimes goes straight to flashing green and other times burns red (full charging) for a while. Depends on how I have been riding and how many accessories I have had on.
Check your connections and let it run a while.

You could take the alligator clips and try it on another battery.

Good luck
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RBS likes this.

2007 VTX-1300c,, Mustang 75651, HK K2's, Scar, , Progressive Front Springs, All Balls Steering Bearings, Mapam Sissy Bar and Forward Controls Viking Hard Bags with Quick Release Mounts, Reckless Fairing with Kenwood KMR-M315BT Marine Grade Radio with XM..

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post
The fault interrupter on that garage wall plug tripped two times last week.
Only reason I knew in the rain was my FIOS box is plugged in there also!! LOL

It seems to be working now, maybe it just had to reset or something...???
Oh well $50 new one is on the way...

Doesn't this kind of mistake make you feel human? I have done it too but no one knew it until now.
frnkcat likes this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm67 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 124k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM

I ride every day so do not use the tender. Also, after last agm battery short circuited and went bad, I super glued the terminal bolts in the new batt. I'm thinking bolts continually loosening and my putting off taking care of it when I shoulda, cost me. I knew it had an issue, I was being a lazy arse.
frnkcat likes this.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As I bang my empty head ont he wall!!! LOL
It seems to be fine, probably just needed a reset (time out) after the FI popped.
Wasted $50, as the new one is out for delivery today!!
But also the lesser chargers (Battery Tender JR etc) will not ship to Calif, some Tree huger thing??
Only the better models.......
I Need to get out of this State or Country, whatever Calif is this week!!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 AM

the cali battery tenders are a different animal, because cali is retarded. if you want a real one, come over to NV.
frnkcat likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post
Just an FYI and to ask how many this has happened to..

I keep the bike on the "battery tender 800" even though I ride at very least once a week or so in winter, sometimes more or less...
Summer its almost daily...

So I disconnected the tender today rolled the bike out of garage (sets off car alarms) and it almost didnt start!! low bttery drag slow turn & slower & slower !!!! CRAP!!
Then it finally fired up...

Rode for couple hrs and back in driveway shut it down and restarted. HOT Fast and strong...

SO... This is just less then 2 yrs old. Do these go bad that fast??

Hard to find any that will ship to Calif, some stupid gay Calif laws on dang battery chargers.....

Found this one at Rocky Mountain atvmc.. Was almost the same as 800, dont what is diff on it, but it ships to the land of fruits and nuts. So I ordered it..

DelTran Waterproof Battery Tender and Charger
Item# 1158070001
44.63 USD

PLugged in old one when I got home, it went to RED light. Never has done that before!!!
TOAST or not???

If your riding your bike once a week, you don't need a tender.
jammerwalker and frnkcat like this.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM

My battery tender junior lasted five years , I left it plugged in all the time (maybe not good). I plug it to the bike every time I park it at home . One I keep on my zero turn all the time, same charger ,is 10 years old . I guess it's like most electronics , you really don't know how long it will last. I noticed micro waves tend to go out after lightning storms sometimes , so surges are not good for them. The junior is 35.00 around here . Really nice , wish I was as smart in my younger days.eo
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
Sounds like you got it figured out. You also need to be careful about which type of battery you're using with which charger. Some "regular" chargers will actually kill a Lithium-Ion battery, so you want to get a charger that is made for the battery you have.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page