Battery tender went bad?? - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery tender went bad??

Just an FYI and to ask how many this has happened to..

I keep the bike on the "battery tender 800" even though I ride at very least once a week or so in winter, sometimes more or less...
Summer its almost daily...

So I disconnected the tender today rolled the bike out of garage (sets off car alarms) and it almost didnt start!! low bttery drag slow turn & slower & slower !!!! CRAP!!
Then it finally fired up...

Rode for couple hrs and back in driveway shut it down and restarted. HOT Fast and strong...

SO... This is just less then 2 yrs old. Do these go bad that fast??

Hard to find any that will ship to Calif, some stupid gay Calif laws on dang battery chargers.....

Found this one at Rocky Mountain atvmc.. Was almost the same as 800, dont what is diff on it, but it ships to the land of fruits and nuts. So I ordered it..

DelTran Waterproof Battery Tender and Charger
Item# 1158070001
44.63 USD

PLugged in old one when I got home, it went to RED light. Never has done that before!!!
TOAST or not???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Garage
First, did you check the battery bolts.. the VTX is well known to loosen the battery bolts.. tighten with a wrench.. not a screwdriver.

I do not know the "800".. but most Battery Tender products have a 5 year warranty..

Red light should be ON.. for 10 to 30 minutes every time you plug it into bike. Longer if battery is low on charge.
also always have battery tender unplugged from the Wall..

Plug into Bike First.. THEN plug into wall.

read directions.

Red = High Charge
Blinking = low charge
Green = Float .

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 71,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.

MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM

Also have your battery load checked

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 AM

All good points. I have the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. Had it for nearly 5 years. Guess it'll die soon, LOL. I ALWAYS have the bike plugged into it when I'm not riding. As mentioned, have the black box unplugged from the power source first. Then connect to the bike via the small cords. THEN plug the black box into the outlet. Mine always shows red for maybe 10-20 seconds, then flashes green for a bit, then solid green when it's fully topped off. FYI, I just bought another one @ WallyWorld for $34.95 for my Husqvarna tractor, as they both sit in an unheated barn for winter. I'll use the new one for the bike, and move the old one to the tractor. I also have one of the HF Cen-Tech $8.95 cheapo's, but wouldn't fully trust it.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
I use a battery Tender Jr. works great.
TeepS and RBS like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Garage
my first Battery Tender. by Deltran. is 8 or 9 years old..

I have the "JR" models for

lawn tractor.. maybe 6 years old
second one is for electric start Gas generator... 4 years old.
third one is on the wife's car.. parked for the winter.. second year.

and they are great "IF" you have warranty issues..
. I have zero issues with any of mine.. but have called them with questions.. very helpful.
rangers4u likes this.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 71,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.

MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
my first Battery Tender. by Deltran. is 8 or 9 years old..

I have the "JR" models for

lawn tractor.. maybe 6 years old
second one is for electric start Gas generator... 4 years old.
third one is on the wife's car.. parked for the winter.. second year.

and they are great "IF" you have warranty issues..
. I have zero issues with any of mine.. but have called them with questions.. very helpful.
Have a battery tender jr (wall wart) that's been plugged in to the wall & 2 different 12V motorcycle batteries, continuously for over 10 years.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:34 PM

Garage
I have never had a tender go bad, but that doesn't mean that they don't. Mine has a red light on all the time, showing power is going to the charger. Yellow light means it is charging,,,, green light means it is fully charged, but the red light is on all the time. I have my bike on the tender year-round. My cousin has a VTX that he has never put on a tender, and got 6 years out of his battery. Go figure......

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I normally get a blinking green when I put it on.. Solid green when charged/Float.....
This time battery was drained when I took it off, almost didnt start. was only about 35* that night (warmed up to 60* when I tried to start)...
AFter ride test start was Strong, put on Tender and it went RED. That & the drained start scared me... Friend said his Tender (unknown brand) seemed to drain his battery that day also.. Just sent chills through me.. lol
I do have another car charger I could use in emergency. But love the plug in right next to bike with on/off multi plug (like for computers etc)...

OK just went out and tried it again. Plugged into pigtail. turned on Outlet and tender went RED for a min, then to flashing green (like it always has)...
So I leave it n and hope for the best.. WIll probably ride again this afternoon. So should know if its draining or charging...
Stand by to stand by!!!

OH and yes on the clean and tighten battery cables.
Just did it again a few months ago. Clean all contact areas, add a light wipe of grease, put back together with Socket tight as I dare to...

Last edited by frnkcat; 01-30-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 PM

I only ever use the tender if the bike is going to sit for more than a month. No need (IMO) if you are riding every couple of weeks, unless you have some parasitic draw, and then you should fix that! My Harley's security system is on all of the time, and I only put it on the tender when I put it away for winter, otherwise it's okay. I don't think you'll ever hurt anything, I just think it's not really necessary.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page