Clutch problems - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Clutch problems

My wife's 1300 2006 with Motor Trike kit on it. Last fall we went to Eureka Springs Ark. about 300 miles from home for some twisty road fun and when we got to the motel she said she couldn't get the bike to shift or go into neutral without shutting engine off first. so I pushed it into parking place and left it there till the next day. The next morning when I went down and tried to start the bike and test the clutch it worked fine, and did the same for the rest of the trip. I had installed a new clutch cable about a week before we left on trip. Anyone have any ideal what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
I would not only check, but lube shift linkage and pivot.. It needs done regularly and seems like a good starting place.. No parts required..

03 VTX 1800 C ~ Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, Highway bar, Memphis shade Windshield, Viking hard bags, Honda Sissy bar, and Luggage rack..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Starr but I did that last summer after reading a post on it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I should mention when we got to motel and my wife told me about the problems I tried to start the bike with clutch pulled in the bike would lurch forward like the clutch was out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:50 AM
RBS

Souds like an adjustment issue.

Democrats & Republicans: 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

OUR Country-OUR Rules

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Garage
Glenn CPR still bolted up tight???
What was the issue on the "clutch fade" thread??
Take a picture of the CPR with the bottom bracket..

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 178,645 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 02-06-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Garage
Strange???
What oil are you using?
Could have plates stuck together?
Hard to picture adjustment issue with how & when it acted up.

Although I have had some 'drag' now and then that goes away in few min.
Check my clutch cable and adjustment and all seems well.
Have no idea why it does it....????

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Garage
I had something similar happen when I adjusted my clutch once. I wanted it to be tighter, thinking that it would give me more control and possibly better/firmer contact with the plates in the clutch. Right after that, I went on a trip up to Red River, about 200 miles away. No problems the entire trip up, and a few jaunts around the area, but when I started coming back home, it started slipping, and I could barely move the bike, even with the clutch all the way out. I tried loosening it a little, but barely any change. Finally, a friend stopped to help, and he let the clutch back out to where it was when I started, and the bike ran pretty much "normal". You might have adjusted yours too much, too. As others have suggested, lubing would also be good.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Hans sorry the pics took so long, the person that had the bike before us put risers on the handle bars and now the cable doesn't fit in the bottom holder. So when I adjusted the clutch I set it so it doesn't jump when putting it gear. Guess I'm not smart enough to insert pics.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Garage
The center cable pulls and the reaction of the outer cable is to push and that is how the thing works
on a handlebar. The bottom end has to be bolted in place to the bracket on the engine case.
The force of the inner cable is opposed at the outer cable.
The R/S cable is a few inches longer. Aftermarket has longer lengths.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 178,645 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 02-12-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page