Enrichen A/F mixture with Big Shots? - No rejetting, rest is stock - Page 2 - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:24 AM

like said you don't have to mess with it
it'll be fine .

but loud pipes will save your Life and pets Lives
and the world from global warming yup.. .
loud pipes do it all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, folks. I'm just not confident in my mechanic doing the rejetting correctly and I've gone through dozens and dozens of threads about headaches caused by rejetting. From what I can gather, a good rejet is simple if you get the correct needles. It's when people use the wrong needles that headaches occur.

I would do this instead of my mechanic, but I don't have my own garage for it. My motorcycle sleeps in a very-safe underground park, which is great for keeping the bike rust-free but it also means I cannot wrench on my bike. I'm possibly one of the youngest guys on this forum, so I don't have my own house yet and it's going to be some years before I decide I want to own a house.

I ain't even going to get the PAIR system removed due to the aforementioned testing every 2 years that's mandated by law. In fact, I'm taking a huge risk by simply having aftermarket pipes as I can be stopped by police or highway troopers at any given time and have my pipes' decibels measured. You'd have to be a real attention-wh*re revving his bike all the time to get stopped, but I've heard of good-meaning people not creating a scene yet getting stopped and bike impounded for high decibel levels.

I'm going to go ahead and only install pipes with quiet baffles and see how that goes first. The quiet baffle will be installed prior to installing Big Shots on bike as I've read it's easier. I've also read that quiet baffles help with the leaner condition so that the bike isn't running as lean as with standard baffles or no baffles. Not sure as to the validity of this statement.

If I were to ask my mechanic to richen the mixture a little WITH Big Shots (and quiet baffles) installed, what would be the suggested turns? I think I've seen only 1/8 of a turn mentioned in some threads, but that looks too little though.

Also, when enrichening the mixture, do you simply turn the screw to the suggested turns OR do you have to first "reset" (somehow) the screw and only THEN perform the suggested turns? My mechanic will be doing it but I want to be as informed as possible (and learn more about my bike, you know?!).

Many thanks.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Old Goat

My modulator has save my bacon , more than my V$H....tell yourself whatever u need to about loud pipes...LOL...... ...2 1/2 turns on af and all is good....

2006....1300R CBC,darkside,foots mod..
"Ive spoken my piece and counted to 3"

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
Also, when enrichening the mixture, do you simply turn the screw to the suggested turns OR do you have to first "reset" (somehow) the screw and only THEN perform the suggested turns? My mechanic will be doing it but I want to be as informed as possible (and learn more about my bike, you know?!).

Many thanks.
Turn it all the way in (clockwise) GENTLY, counting the number of turns. Don't jam it in there or you can damage the needle end or seat. Make note of this so you know where you started. Then turn it back out about 2 to 2-1/2 turns depending on your elevation. 2-1/2 at sea level, 2 out in the mountains. Should get you close He will need a D shaped bit for this, similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-D-...s=motion+pro+d

Or you can make due with one of these plastic insulated terminals by heating the plastic end and shoving it on the"D" end of the needle, or similarly MagGyver it
Randman likes this.

Last edited by Donnie Downer; 02-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Awesome all, thanks for replies thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
Turn it all the way in (clockwise) GENTLY, counting the number of turns. Don't jam it in there or you can damage the needle end or seat. Make note of this so you know where you started. Then turn it back out about 2 to 2-1/2 turns depending on your elevation. 2-1/2 at sea level, 2 out in the mountains. Should get you close He will need a D shaped bit for this, similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-D-...s=motion+pro+d

Or you can make due with one of these plastic insulated terminals by heating the plastic end and shoving it on the"D" end of the needle, or similarly MagGyver it
So I should turn it clockwise first until it seats secure and then do 2-1/2 turns anti-clockwise?

What's the stock turns to get the screw seating gently?

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
My modulator has save my bacon , more than my V$H....tell yourself whatever u need to about loud pipes...LOL...... ...2 1/2 turns on af and all is good....
I don't know, that modulator flashes too fast and too long. It could precipitate a seizure on someone prone to seizures if the person is driving behind you and you're constantly pressing the brakes without realizing the colourful show you're putting to the guy behind you. I can see people getting really pissed off at you and trying to overtake you dangerously.

I think a light that flicks slower and for less time could be better. I always flick my rear light (via flicking front brake) when slowing down. Only when I see a car too close or nearing at me looking distracted do I flick the lights very fast until the dude notices I'm there. It's another trick that helps (along with revving bike when coming to a stop so they hear the motorcycle) and I can see the use of such a modulator (albeit with suggested changes perhaps).

That and a pair of auxilliary lights somewhere on rear fender or saddlebags/trunk.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
Awesome all, thanks for replies thus far.

So I should turn it clockwise first until it seats secure and then do 2-1/2 turns anti-clockwise?

What's the stock turns to get the screw seating gently?
Yes.
Stock turns for USA bikes are 1-5/8.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
Yes.
Stock turns for USA bikes are 1-5/8.
So I take it that the difference between stock turns and the richened-state turns is only one turn (2-1/2 minus 1-5/8 ). Thus, why not simply turn the stock screw one turn anti-clockwise? What's the reason for first seating the screw gently and then going anti-clockwise for 2-1/2 turns?

Thanks.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
If you count the turns in you know where it "was" set at...
Knowing it is different lets you decide if it makes a difference or should be set at 1 1/2, 2 turns or 2 1/2 turns..... What if it WAS at 3 turns??
I have the permanent tool from Glensvtxgarage. so I adjust mine now & then just to test for a difference in running, but always turn it all the way in to see if it has moved on its own.. (never has)....
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post
If you count the turns in you know where it "was" set at...
Knowing it is different lets you decide if it makes a difference or should be set at 1 1/2, 2 turns or 2 1/2 turns..... What if it WAS at 3 turns??
I have the permanent tool from Glensvtxgarage. so I adjust mine now & then just to test for a difference in running, but always turn it all the way in to see if it has moved on its own.. (never has)....
Thanks. I'd be interested in Glenn's A/F tool but I don't trust my Honda-certified mechanic to do it right. Too many things can go wrong. I would actually prefer to do it myself but the bike sleeps in an underground community private parking lot. Very dark in there too.

Any issues with Glenn's tool vibrating and making noises? I've started to kill all vibrating noises and I'd hate to now get more vibrating noises from this tool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page