Enrichen A/F mixture with Big Shots? - No rejetting, rest is stock - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Question Enrichen A/F mixture with Big Shots? - No rejetting, rest is stock

So I pulled the trigger and ordered the Vance & Hines Big Shots and the quiet baffles. They're on their way. After some serious consideration and seeing how useful a loud pipe can be to warn others of my presence, I went for it.

I ordered the quiet baffles as they are claimed to boost low RPM torque a little with the Big Shots.

I spoke with my mechanic and he said that the bike may need to have the A/F mixture adjusted. He did say that rejetting the bike could cause a lot of headaches, but that he'd do it if I want.

I prefer to leave everything as stock as possible. Motorcycles here have to go though emission testing and noise testing every 2 years. If you don't pass the testing, you cannot use the bike. So I'd rather not rejet as I may risk not being able to return everything to stock for the testing.

My question is, should I tell my mechanic to enrichen the A/F a little when he puts the pipes?

My issue is that European VTXs were leaned out a lot to be able to sell them in Europe. They were leaned out a lot more than VTXs sold in the USA. For all purposes, my VTX 1300 is similar to a California model as far as leaned out goes. I haven't read anything about California VTXs having problems with aftermarket pipes with no rejetting or no A/F adjustment.

Air intake and carb/fuel are stock. Only pipes are changed to Big Shots. Quiet baffles will also be installed with the pipes.

Thanks.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 AM

Cool

You don't have to adjust the a/f for exhaust change, only when you change out the air flow.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 AM

Loud pipes DO NOT save lives! Get that out of your head!! They just sound good and annoy people. No one can hear your exhaust coming from the other direction. Anyone who ever turned left in front of you never heard your exhaust. Get over it.

You do not need to touch the carb for pipes. You only rejet for air intake, Not exhaust.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477

Last edited by cavie; 02-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, my fear is that my bike is so leaned out to be able to be sold in Europe, that I may need to enrichen the A/F a little. Anybody know about Califrornia models requiring any A/F adjustment when putting aftermarket pipes?

About the loud pipes save lives, I knew I should not put that piece of text in my post. I actually think that the whole "loud pipes save lives" is more of an excuse to ride with loud pipes than anything else. I've heard some disgustingly loud pipes on Harleys by guys trying to portray the bad boy image and revving their bikes to get people to look at them. I even told one of them to stop acting like a child and stop bothering people; funny how the "bad boy" followed my order and stopped the nuisance he was creating. Not my style of pipe usage.

However, loud pipes warn pedestrians of my presence. I've been in close encounters of being close to running over distracted pedestrians. Likewise, a loud pipe will save you when you come to a stop in town and the guy behind you is distracted. I always rev my bike when coming to a stop and I see the person behind me automatically pay more attention. Stock pipes can only be heard with the window down, so it's a louder pipe for me for those with their window up. Yes, with loud music he/she probably won't hear me, but I'm covering my bases here for those who WILL hear me.

Any time I enter a situation in which pedestrians are likely to be around, I rev my bike to warn them of my presence. Stock pipes are not loud enough for this purpose.

The above two situations are real situations in which a louder pipe will save you. I do agree that they serve absolutely no purpose for a left-turn crash or for any highway situation. For that, I have LED lights on my lightbar and on my engine guard, which form a wide triangle that's very visible. I really can tell the difference and I highly recommend such a setup to anyone who wants to be VERY visible.

I also live in a place which is full of tourists all year round. It's very common to see tourists walking along the road distracted. We also have some serious curves here everywhere so I see in every single ride tourists walking across curvy roads looking at maps. With louder pipes, a distracted pedestrian WILL hear me coming and a distracted driver behind me when coming to a stop will hear me most of the time. I have enough experience with this to know for sure that louder pipes help for these situations.
Randman likes this.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Last edited by EuroDude; 02-10-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Myself, I would install an air intake and rejet it for the most fun possible. At inspection time, put it back to stock, inspect, then back to the fun setup. Should only take about an hour or less to swap intake and jets. You obviously need to evaluate your own skill level.

Even without an intake, rejetting will make it run better . By changing the pipes, you have changed to volumetric efficiency of the engine. Twiddling with the AF only affects a small portion if the throttle.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Garage
You are probably not going to pass any noise inspection with those pipes.
They are loud and obnoxious even with quiet baffles...

Run it before you decide, the Scar Mod (search) will give you what you want and easy, free to do and back to stock...

TeepS likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Everybody has an opinion. Regarding loud exhaust........you can't say it doesn't work, because we never now when it does! I look at it this way, it can't hurt. Hit em with every angle/method we can. Rog~

2006 1300C is what I'm working on........
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert J Twillie View Post
Everybody has an opinion. Regarding loud exhaust........you can't say it doesn't work, because we never now when it does! I look at it this way, it can't hurt. Hit em with every angle/method we can. Rog~
I'm nervous with stock Honda pipes in heavy slow moving traffic. I have aftermarket exhaust on my VTX and I can definitely tell people know I'm there. Everyone looks at me when I give it a little gas. Maybe annoying but at least they know I'm there. I don't think loud pipes are always going to help people see you but sometimes they do. IMO
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
So I pulled the trigger and ordered the Vance & Hines Big Shots and the quiet baffles. They're on their way. After some serious consideration and seeing how useful a loud pipe can be to warn others of my presence, I went for it.

I ordered the quiet baffles as they are claimed to boost low RPM torque a little with the Big Shots.

I spoke with my mechanic and he said that the bike may need to have the A/F mixture adjusted. He did say that rejetting the bike could cause a lot of headaches, but that he'd do it if I want.

I prefer to leave everything as stock as possible. Motorcycles here have to go though emission testing and noise testing every 2 years. If you don't pass the testing, you cannot use the bike. So I'd rather not rejet as I may risk not being able to return everything to stock for the testing.

My question is, should I tell my mechanic to enrichen the A/F a little when he puts the pipes?

My issue is that European VTXs were leaned out a lot to be able to sell them in Europe. They were leaned out a lot more than VTXs sold in the USA. For all purposes, my VTX 1300 is similar to a California model as far as leaned out goes. I haven't read anything about California VTXs having problems with aftermarket pipes with no rejetting or no A/F adjustment.

Air intake and carb/fuel are stock. Only pipes are changed to Big Shots. Quiet baffles will also be installed with the pipes.

Thanks.
I would just install the pipes and see how she runs IMO. Those are bad ass pipes! You may need no mixture adjustment. I would bet a slight idle screw adjustment at the most.

Carbs have 3 stages basically, when it comes to jet kits. Pilot jet for idle, needle for mid, main jet for high throttle position. They lean a lot of bikes out in the first two stages for emissions. If you install those pipes you may get pop on decel. You can adjust your idle mixture screws. (look it up on youtube it's easy) If your'e running way too lean you'll get it pretty bad with AM pipes. If you have to adjust idle mixture much past 3.5 turns out, you can get slightly larger idle jets at Jets R Us web site for less than $20.

I have installed jet kits in a couple of Honda bikes I have owned over the years. My experience has been with the "Dynojet kits" They come with a tapered needle and some different sized main jets. They don't come with idle jets.

Install the tapered needle and you will notice more low/mid throttle response if you set it at recommended settings. Gas mileage will suffer a bit, but more fun IMO. I wouldn't change the main jets unless you do an air mod. All it will do is give you poor gas mileage. If you do an air mod and don't change the main jets you may notice a hesitation or when you hit the 3rd stage.

Not an expert. Just pulled the carbs off my bikes a couple of dozen times changing jet sizes to form this opinion. I tried larger jets than recommended with poor results. Your mileage may vary.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
Thanks, my fear is that my bike is so leaned out to be able to be sold in Europe, that I may need to enrichen the A/F a little. Anybody know about Califrornia models requiring any A/F adjustment when putting aftermarket pipes?

About the loud pipes save lives, I knew I should not put that piece of text in my post. I actually think that the whole "loud pipes save lives" is more of an excuse to ride with loud pipes than anything else. I've heard some disgustingly loud pipes on Harleys by guys trying to portray the bad boy image and revving their bikes to get people to look at them. I even told one of them to stop acting like a child and stop bothering people; funny how the "bad boy" followed my order and stopped the nuisance he was creating. Not my style of pipe usage.

However, loud pipes warn pedestrians of my presence. I've been in close encounters of being close to running over distracted pedestrians. Likewise, a loud pipe will save you when you come to a stop in town and the guy behind you is distracted. I always rev my bike when coming to a stop and I see the person behind me automatically pay more attention. Stock pipes can only be heard with the window down, so it's a louder pipe for me for those with their window up. Yes, with loud music he/she probably won't hear me, but I'm covering my bases here for those who WILL hear me.

Any time I enter a situation in which pedestrians are likely to be around, I rev my bike to warn them of my presence. Stock pipes are not loud enough for this purpose.

The above two situations are real situations in which a louder pipe will save you. I do agree that they serve absolutely no purpose for a left-turn crash or for any highway situation. For that, I have LED lights on my lightbar and on my engine guard, which form a wide triangle that's very visible. I really can tell the difference and I highly recommend such a setup to anyone who wants to be VERY visible.

I also live in a place which is full of tourists all year round. It's very common to see tourists walking along the road distracted. We also have some serious curves here everywhere so I see in every single ride tourists walking across curvy roads looking at maps. With louder pipes, a distracted pedestrian WILL hear me coming and a distracted driver behind me when coming to a stop will hear me most of the time. I have enough experience with this to know for sure that louder pipes help for these situations.
Agreed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page