High Altitude Riding - Bike STALLED once when back at sea, is this to be expected? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Question High Altitude Riding - Bike STALLED once when back at sea, is this to be expected?

Hi,

Yesterday I rode up to 7,200 feet on a mountain pass and we stayed at said altitude of 7,200 feet for about 45 minutes. We went from sea level to 7,200 feet in about 1 hour. Going up, the bike functioned great as she always does.

After said 45 minutes at 7,200 feet, we commenced the way down to sea level. It took about one hour to get to sea level. At about 20 minutes into the ride, which was about 5,200 feet at sea level, the bike started to backfire. It wasn't anything bad nor loud, and I actually thought it sounded bad*ss for a change of how well-behaved the stock pipes sound. I just can't imagine what they'll sound when I get the Big Shots installed next week (insert Santa's laugh: HO HO HO!).

So, all the way down to sea level, the pipes must have backfired only 5-8 times. We get to sea level, mess around for some 20 minutes at sea level and then, out of a sudden when I come to a stop, the bike dies as soon as I stop. I didn't stall the bike, I just did my usual, so it surprised me the bike died on me suddenly.

The bike only died ONCE when we were at sea level or at any time through our little mountain-pass trip yesterday. This bike is flawless and runs flawless, and it has NEVER died on me. Not once until now. This got me thinking if this was just a mere coincidence or if the high-altitude trip we took could be responsible for this.

I should say one thing that I noticed as soon as we got to sea level. The bike seemed to ride really good, I'm talking "too" good and the bike already rides great ALL in stock. I'm not joking when I say I felt in tune with the bike and the bike was tracking curves like a queen and the throttle and transmission was too perfect.

I noticed the improvement in handling before the bike stalling occurred. I'm usually skeptic of subjective feelings but I really noticed a change for the even better as soon as we were at sea level.

QUESTION TIME:

1) So, is it to be expected that the bike stalls suddenly at a stop when coming down from a high-altitude pass? I read of a couple of people experiencing the same.

2) Anyone suggest a reason why the bike ran so well subjectively and why I was really in tune with the bike? I think it's because our trip was all steep bends and curves and I was riding with gear and with my girlfriend too. But perhaps it's because at one point the A/F mixture was in harmony instead of being lean (but then, this happened 20 minutes after being back at sea level so surely I was back to the stock LEAN mixture, right?)

When I got down to sea level, the curves and bends on the road were easier and I was used to riding the nasty curves of the mountain pass, so perhaps riding from technical roads to easier roads made for this phenomenon. Riding where I live is a constant Devil's Tail, I kid you not!

Thanks.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Last edited by EuroDude; 02-14-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:07 AM

Garage
NO...

normal conditions... sea level to 12,000 feet. but over 7,000 feet some power loss is normal... less air.

I have rode up to 13,000 feet.. with a carb based road bike.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 74,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Anyone suggest a reason why the bike ran so well subjectively and why I was really in tune with the bike?
Because you'd been to the mountaintop and now you see the light. Actually, YOU were not only higher up but the effects of the thinner air made you HIGH... a giddy feeling you did not have previously.

As for your bike, it is merely an awesome performing piece of Asian technology that just keeps on giving and giving. Just count all the foreign machines Americans drive every day.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I didn't feel any power loss during the 45 minutes we spent t 7,200 ft above sea level. I was able to flog the bike up there as I was curious how it would respond and it didn't miss a beat. Just kept pulling and pulling. Maybe if I had spent the whole day up there the bike would have suffered?

About the bike handling better, I did think too if I was kinda high from the elevation. In retrospect, the bike feel light and smooth, the lightness resembling when you get light headed. I was riding fine and didn't miss a beat going through technical roads. I think it was the effect of going from spending one hour in technical roads to arriving to sea level where the roads were a lot easier.

I've also done this trip (up to 7,200 ft) many times with an EFI bike and all times were good.

Shame because I was seriously interested in knowing if the A/F mixture could have achieved perfect harmony while at sea level. I was also expecting the bike to handle worse at 7,200 ft but it ran as hard as it does when I flog it. My bike is your typical leaned-out Euro bike.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

By the way, any input as to if I should expect the bike to stall when coming down from a high altitude (7,200 ft)?

I've read a couple of posts of people commenting that the bike would stall at very high altitudes.

As said, my bike stalled when I came back to sea level and I stopped at a stop sign.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Garage
7,000 feet is NOT high,,,,

carbs since the 1980's are vacuum controlled... so self compensating ...

sea level to 12,000 feet carb will self-adjust.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 74,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
By the way, any input as to if I should expect the bike to stall when coming down from a high altitude (7,200 ft)?
It should not, unless it was stalling before that, and you have indicated it was not.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 AM

I would make some checks vacuum line conditions band clamps tight (4 places) .

Plugs may have had just a bit of carbon fluff and when you let off throttle it could just die same if you don't keep idle at around 900 rpm which sounds fast.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
91000 miles 6-17-17
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
I would make some checks vacuum line conditions band clamps tight (4 places) .

Plugs may have had just a bit of carbon fluff and when you let off throttle it could just die same if you don't keep idle at around 900 rpm which sounds fast.
I've read of people upping the RPMs when at high altitude. My bike is stock as far as RPMs or carb/engine/air/pipes are concerned and it sounds like an angry sewing machine. Could the RPMs have slowed down after being 3 hours at high altitude and then being at sea level for 20 minutes? Common sense would say NO as bike has had plenty of time to get accustomed to sea-level altitude, but going to ask this just in case.

I've asked this question because other folks have experienced their bikes stalling. The reports I've read are from the bike stalling when at high altitude, not when back at sea level though.

I also experienced no power loss nor bike running rough during the 3 hours at high altitude, while I've read of people stating their bikes losing power noticeably at 7,000 ft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page