Honda VTX Forum banner

Can I re-use OEM Exhaust Gaskets? Removed stock exhaust and now need to put it back

6K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  rangers4u 
#1 ·
Damnit, turns out that the V&H Big Shots I received arrived damaged. Already started claim to get them returned and new ones sent. I'm extremely let down by this.

So I'm having to put back OEM exhaust pipes as they were removed in advance in preparation for the Big Shots. My question is, can I re-use the OEM exhaust gaskets that the stock pipes were using or are they a one-time-only crush gasket?

I've read that gaskets should only be used once as they deform when they are tightened to spec. However, I'm not sure if this is just for crush gaskets or if Honda's OEM gaskets for the 2007 Honda VTX 1300 Spokes are also non-reusable.

Part number is 18291-MR5-801

I would appreciate any replies as we're having to put back OEM exhaust. If original gaskets that the stock pipes had cannot be reused, then I'm going to have to wait a week for new OEM gaskets to arrive since VTXs are extremely uncommon here and ordering them takes a long time. All thanks to this whole thing of Big Shots arriving damaged.

#8 · (Edited)
Reactions: nate6966
#10 ·
I would just put the old pipes back on. when you get your new pipes, change them at that time. Worst that's going to happen is they'll pop a LOT.
Fixed it for you.

Yes, your bike will not be a happy bike until you have new crush gaskets installed.

Best thing to do is head on down to an auto parts store with one of the old crush gaskets in hand and let them cross reference and compare dimensions. They should be cheap ($8-15/pair) so you might wanna get a couple pairs to avoid the trip again.

Reactions: SeaSteve
#17 ·
Thanks all.

Calling Honda as we speak to know about the gasket thing. Very likely will have to wait 1 to 2 weeks as I'm fairly certain they won't have these in stock. They've got plenty of sportbike crap in stock though.

Let's see what I can do to speed this all up. Want to wear new OEM exhausts if possible.

I already looked there before posting this thread. None of the parts in there are available to me. The only manufacturer retailer is Midas and I already asked there. Guy who picked the phone said they don't carry those and if anything they'd have to be shipped and take X amount of weeks if they even can find the part. I rather get the Honda ones and be done with this once and for all.

#14 ·
My question is,
can I re-use the OEM exhaust gaskets
that the stock pipes were using
or are they a one-time-only crush gasket?
Maybe
Technically yes.

I've had the pipes off and on my VTX several times and have NEVER changed the gaskets.
Nor, have there been any leaks.
Of course, your experience might be different.

Just put the stock pipes back on, torque the nuts, if there is no leakage (popping) then you're good to go.

#18 ·
Just got off the phone with my Honda dealership. As expected, they're going to have to order OEM gaskets and it can take up to 2 weeks.

My Honda mechanic did say that the OEM gaskets can be re-used again. According to my mechanic, the OEM exhaust gaskets should not be re-used many times, but that re-using it just this time will be fine.

I gave them a copper crush gaskets I purchased from Cruiser Customizing (used to installed V & H pipes). He told me that the one I gave them was indeed a crush gasket and that it was deformed. On the other hand, he told me the OEM exhaust gasket I had with my stock pipes was fine and not deformed, so it should be fine to use again.

While trust my Honda-certified mechanic to an extent, I also trust you guys. Would you agree with what my mechanic said? I'll be putting the new V & H pipes when they arrive in about 2 weeks, so my option is to have the OEM exhaust gaskets I had with stock pipes used again to put stock pipes back, or wait 2 weeks with no motorcycle until new exhaust gaskets arrive.

Are Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets really that good and are they OK to re-use a second time?

#20 ·
On a simplified level - I wouldn't leave my bike parked for two weeks just because of use exhaust crush gaskets.
Reinstall your stock pipes and go for it - being mindful of the torque specs of 17 ft-lbs on those header bolts.

#21 ·
Well, bike is ready for picking up. Valves were checked and adjusted, transmission checked, everything lubricated and cleaned (including shifting pivots and inside of wheels). All I'm missing are my Big Shots.

Couple of questions, folks:

- If my gaskets are leaking will I notice it? Aside from popping, will I hear anything else?

- Should I expect some power loss if the gaskets are leaking?

- Are Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets crush gaskets or not?

- Should I take my mechanic's word for good in that re-using the Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets will be fine and no leaking will occur since this would be the first time the gaskets would be re-used?

- I've ordered 4 pairs of Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets (Part #: 18291-MR5-801 ). Can I safely use Honda OEM's exhaust gaskets for my Big Shots when they arrive?

- Most importantly, if the exhaust gaskets have been re-installed correctly (which I trust my mechanic to have done so), do you think they'll be fine and not leak? I'll only have this setup (re-used OEM exhaust gaskets) until my new V&H pipes arrive in a couple of weeks, but I'm going to be riding the bike hard until then as I planned.

I'm going to be taking her up to 7,000 feet and doing a lot of canyon carving, in as much as one can "carve corners" with this bike, + lots of uphill riding; all of this done with my girlfriend as passenger. The bike is also very heavy with 100lbs extra of accessories.

It really worries me that the exhaust gaskets could leak and yield any serious problems, especially any loss of power seeing how much extra weight my bike has and how I always milk my gears within reason (i.e. I don't lug the engine). First time I'd be exposed to leaking exhaust gaskets.

Anyway, here's a picture of my bike ready to be picked up. She's just missing her Big Shots (picture me with a VERY sad face). Actually, she's also missing my driver's backrest as I removed it for ease of working on bike (once you try a driver's backrest, there's no going back!).

If you want, you can click the image to see the bike closer. That adjustable chromed-out luggage rack atop the tour trunk was a good purchase, by the way.

#26 · (Edited)
- If my gaskets are leaking will I notice it? Aside from popping, will I hear anything else?
You'll only notice popping from the exhaust. It'll sound like compression brakes on a small rig.
- Should I expect some power loss if the gaskets are leaking?
It's possible that performance could be impacted, but it won't make the difference in hauling you and your luggage.
- Are Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets crush gaskets or not?
They ARE crush gaskets - designed for a one-time use.
- Should I take my mechanic's word for good in that re-using the Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets will be fine and no leaking will occur since this would be the first time the gaskets would be re-used?
They *shouldn't* ever be reused, but you don't have much choice right now.
- I've ordered 4 pairs of Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets (Part #: 18291-MR5-801 ). Can I safely use Honda OEM's exhaust gaskets for my Big Shots when they arrive?
New OEM gaskets will be perfect with the new Big Shots.
- Most importantly, if the exhaust gaskets have been re-installed correctly (which I trust my mechanic to have done so), do you think they'll be fine and not leak?
They might be, but no way to see the future on that.
It really worries me that the exhaust gaskets could leak and yield any serious problems...
Your outcomes are:
- possible to be 100% fine with no issue
- likely you'll hear popping and that's it, no damage but just annoying
- there is a slight possibility that the extra air getting into the exhaust at the header connection will cause too much heat in the header pipes - potentially discoloring your heat shields, making you uncomfortable from the heat off the pipes, or heat damage to your side cover. This worst case scenario won't sneak up on you, you'll notice the bike sounding like the fourth of July and your leg will be getting abnormally warm long before heat damage.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the popping is bad even at idle.

#22 ·
FYI, here's the state of my V & H quiet baffles after removal from the damaged exhaust pipes. Just a "one time" use to only start the bike two times. I take it that the quiet baffles are in good condition to continue to perform as expected, right?

PLastic wrap was re-used to wrap fiberglass as I await the arrival of new V & H pipes.

#25 ·
I'd love to use new exhaust gaskets, but I've got 2 options:

1) Re-install stock pipes with OEM exhaust gaskets (i.e. re-use them) that were used with the stock pipes already.

2) Bring my bike home from the mechanic shop and leave the bike unused (no riding) for 2 weeks as I wait for the Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets to arrive. I've ordered them already along with a couple of other things.

Two weeks without riding my bike is too much, hence my interest in knowing if re-using OEM exhaust gaskets would be problematic, despite my mechanic assuring me that there should not be any problems as apparently "Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets are much higher-quality than regular crush gaskets and Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets can be re-used once or twice (not more, though) without any issues". Those were his words. Dude looks like he knows his stuff but I'm still getting to know his skills with the VTX 1300 since, according to him, he hasn't worked on a VTX 1300 for years (and only has worked on a few). He's worked on lots of Goldwings, though.

FTR, the bike has already had the stock pipes installed with the re-used exhaust gaskets. You can see the stock pipes installed in the bike's picture.

On baffles it appears plastic shipping wrap was not removed prior to install? Remove plastic prior to install. I like mine, yet bike is still loud.
Yes, plastic wrap was removed from quiet abffles prior to installing them. It's just that my mechanic put the plastic wrap again on the quiet baffles when he removed them (i.e. he re-wrapped the quiet baffles again with the same plastic wrap).

He only did this to make sure that the fiberglass staid secure and in place since, when he removed the quiet baffles, some of the fiberglass was fuzzy.

#27 ·
Thank you, nate6966! I appreciate your insight.

So, I made some phone calls, used some charm and I got lucky (within reason). I will have the exhaust gaskets by next wednesday (in one week) instead of waiting the 3 weeks initially-quoted by local dealership. I also ordered some more other stuff for the front forks as the noise I was getting from the fork was due to a damaged seal (that's another unrelated issue to this). Everything will be here by Wednesday aproximately. I ordered 4 pairs of Honda's OEM exhaust gaskets for the foreseeable future (and I'll possibly order more soon).

I think I'm just going to ride the bike home and then not ride it again as I wait for the exhaust gaskets to arrive. It's only one week, plus I'll be getting lots of extra goodies when the order arrives to get my front forks in perfect condition again.

Also, online store I purchased the damaged pipes from is already preparing replacement exhaust to send to me. Great service thus far. Shipping will take some time to get here though (but that's the norm). It should be in time for the big motorcycle trip I'm planning. I've got to have at least a week or two to get my girlfriend used to the loud sound of the pipes (with quiet baffles). I hope that we can still chat comfortably via our intercomm system (Sena 10s) with our full-face helmets (which I've read is possible at low to medium RPMs, even at highway speeds).

Feel free to continue giving your opinion on the risk of re-using OEM's exhaust gaskets as I like to read your wise opinions and I'm new to the whole aftermarket-pipes thing.

#28 ·
For the helmet to helmet comm, my wife and I also have a Sena setup. Even with my Sideburner exhaust (VERY LOUD), we can hear each other very easily even at highway speeds

#29 ·
Right on. I ordered over 300 bucks worth of OEM front fork stuff as well as 4 pairs of OEM exhaust gaskets, and the package arrived today. Damn, so many parts I've got now. Want my mechanic to replace almost everything off the forks with the new OEM pieces I've bought since one of the sealing gaskets was broken, so I think it's a good time to replace everything.

I've got to say, these Honda OEM exhaust gaskets are very-high quality. No wonder they are so expensive. They are head and shoulders above the generic exhaust gaskets I purchased for the Big Shots. The OEM Honda exh. gaskets are thicker, rounder in circumference and just look solid. The generic exh. gaskets I had purchased looked like they would snap easily (mind you, this was a pair of generic exh. gaskets people recommended for my application).

I've read of people saying (in other forums) that, if the exh. gaskets are high quality, then they can be re-used. I've seen pics of what is deemed high-quality and, indeed, the Honda OEM exhaust gaskets fall in that category. I may have to ride my bike with the Honda OEM exhaust gaskets it already had as I'm no going to waste a pair since in a couple of days I will have my Big Shots here!

I'm amazed at the difference in quality of Honda OEM's exhaust gaskets. They look seriously heavy duty.

#30 ·
Quick update:

Rode the bike with re-used exhaust gaskets. No popping, no difference in riding. The bike feels like its new. If I didn't know already that they were re-used, I would not know they were re-used. I'm having to postpone the fitting of new exhaust gaskets to next week. Perhaps when I get the new exhaust gaskets in, I will feel a difference.

The only thing I felt was a slightly warmer right leg than usual, but it only occurred briefly 3 times in 200 miles. Not sure even if this was just confirmation bias.

#31 ·
Update:

Bike now has new OEM exhaust gaskets with stock pipes. I've decided I'm postponing the getting of the Big Shots seeing how it's nearly impossible to get a US retailer to send the pipes secured and packaged safely.

I got to see the exhaust gaskets that were removed to insert the new gaskets. The used gaskets are flattened, with a few grooves and the markings from securing them. They still look in pretty good shape; I was expecting a lot worse.

New exhaust gaskets and I can't say I notice a difference. That said, I rode today some 50 miles in hot stop-and-go traffic with the new gaskets, and I never felt any heat from the engine. Just usual Honda reliability and smooth comfortable riding with no excess heat. Back when I had the re-used gaskets that were replaced with these new exhaust gaskets, I did feel a bit of heat in my right leg at times (especially stop-and-go riding), which is indeed a sign of an exhaust gasket leaking.

All I can say is thank the lucky stars for water cooling on a big V-Twin engine. I can't imagine riding in today's hot conditions with an air-cooled Harley. So glad the Japanese realized decades ago how there was a point to cooling their cruiser engines with more than just warm air.

#32 ·
$300 worth of frontend parts?! Shoot you could open a school for rebuilding forks. There is a lot more to the 1800 frontend and that only costs about $100 for everything!

#33 ·
Honda OEM parts are very expensive. I haven't checked the prices on US websites like partzilla but in Europe, the OEM parts are very expensive. My mechanic did a side by side comparison with the parts they could have bought for me to see if I would have saved any money buying from them instead of ordering them online, and it turns out I was already getting the cheapest price on those parts (same as they get them wholesale).

A pair of simple rubber bushings for 12 bucks? Hell yeah Honda OEM!

#35 ·
I've re-used gaskets before and never had an issue.
Sometimes I change them, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood at the time I guess, don't know.

Getting everything torqued properly is the more important thing. But to each their own.
Same here.

For some there is joy in doing the job according to the factory recommendations.
For some it's their training or experiences.
That said, before I worked in the corporate world (within Honda) I rarely used a torque wrench.
Now, when I work on my car or bike, everything gets torqued in accordance of the factory spec.

So, it could just be the OP's training or experience which compels him to follow the manual to the letter.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

#36 ·
It might be "joy in doing the job according to factory recommendations" for someone...

However, for many including myself, it's calculated risk mitigation and planning. If you properly plan, and have a pair of $3 gaskets handy, why wouldn't you want to install them? I see the OP and several others as people who are looking for the information that shows what risks they might mitigate with following the manual.

Recommended steps, torque specs, recommended part replacements, etc. are all efforts to keep down time to a minimum. Some things are fairly harmless risks (like these gaskets) but others can be extremely unbalanced and pose $$$$$ damage risks, significantly long down times, or possibly danger to the rider.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND following the instructions for everyone that is new to wrenching or new to these bikes. Learn these machines thoroughly before straying from the manual. Search "cracked crankcase from oil plug" to see how someone can seriously damage their bike by attempting a simple oil change without understanding torque specs and aluminum casting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.