Won't start - no fuel from petcock - VTXOA
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Won't start - no fuel from petcock

I bought a 2006 VTX1300C a month ago. I love it except it has been unreliable. Several times, including this morning it wouldn't start. I had to go by the used bike dealer I bought it from to pick up my new license plate so I rode my trustly 1983 Honda CX650C (that actually starts and runs) and mentioned the problem thinking they may have some help to offer. They tried to sell me a $10 tiny little bottle of magic potion that said I should pour in the tank. No thanks.

I bought a MityVac vacuum gauge/pump from Harbor Freight on the way home to test the vacuum to the petcock. (on sale for $29.99 for inside track members currently) Here is what I found:

Hooked vacuum pump to vacuum port on fuel valve. Pumped it up, and no pressure at all, not even momentarily. Not on "On", "Reserve", or "Off."

Unhooked vacuum hose from fuel valve, put gauge on that hose (from engine) and turned bike over. The needle "bounced" as I turned the bike over -- appearing to bounce up to 10+ in Hg (or maybe more, didn't read it exactly and it was bouncing apparently each revolution of the engine)

Disconnected fuel line from fuel valve, connected vacuum pump to vacuum port of fuel valve, and operated the pump. No fuel came out of the fuel valve.

This may be obvious so excuse the question. Does this mean I just need to buy the back half of the fuel valve that has the vacuum port on it and replace that half of it? I'm really frustrated because to me a bike is not just a toy but a mode of transportation. So far there have been several mornings that this bike has left me scrambling to crank up my old 1983 Honda and it's kind of irritating since I bought the VTX because my old CX is an antique and I thought I was getting a more reliable bike.

So far it hasn't left me stranded -- once it cranks and stays running it has been good. I just rode the bike yesterday about 40 miles, and then this morning -- nothing. When this happens, the bike never even floods, which is why I was suspecting it wasn't getting gas. The guys at the dealership said it was probably water in my gas or something. I told them I thought if there was something in the gas that at least the unspent gas would get sent out the exhaust (flooding) and I'd smell it. Then they said that it was probably that the petcock was gummed up to where none flowed through. I told them I doubted that it would run perfectly fine yesterday evening and suddenly gunk up to the point of not even trying to fire the next morning. Grrrr.

Ray Reavis, York, SC
Member, International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers
2006 Honda VTX1300C "Xena" * 1983 Honda CX650C "Ruth" * 1978 Honda CX500 "Old girl"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Remove the fuel pump, as seen on the How To board;
1300 Carburator: Scar Mod, A/F Mix&Idle Adj, Fuel Pump bypass

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Hi Chicago-Spike,

I don't think mine has a fuel pump. Mine is a 2006 VTX1300C. To verify my hunch I went to Partsfish.com and I can find a fuel pump in the 2003 VTX1300 but no reference to a fuel pump in the 2006 VTX1300C parts. Or am I missing something? I'd honestly pay an hour of labor to avoid messing with it but trailering it to the shop would be a bigger hassle than just fixing it I assume.

Ray Reavis, York, SC
2006 Honda VTX1300C "Xena" * 1983 Honda CX650C "Ruth" * 1978 Honda CX500 "Old girl"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Remove the fuel pump, as seen on the How To board;
1300 Carburator: Scar Mod, A/F Mix&Idle Adj, Fuel Pump bypass
in
A 2006 has no fuel pump.

You can either replace the diaphram or reverse the guts of it.....Or replace it altogether with a Pingle.
I have a Pingle fuel valve and no more issue.
roadtripray likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 PM

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 PM

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Donnie. I was hoping maybe I could just replace the item described on Partsfish.com as "Cover set - petcock." See item #5 on the following partsfish.com page. Maybe that is literally just the cover and not the whole diaphragm assembly and spring. Oh well, it seems I can get the whole shooting match for $105.58. I suppose that isn't too bad.

I'm ready to pull the trigger and purchase a petcock. Can anyone else think of something I may have overlooked? Money is tight, but $105.58 isn't that bad, but I would hate to purchase that only to find it was really something else.

While I have everyone's attention, what the heck is the breather tube that comes off the right rear side of the tank for? The hose has a "T" connector about halfway down with nothing hooked to it. I assume it must hook to a pipe inside the tank that would normally go above the fuel level, or all the fuel woudl be spilling out. But what the heck is the deal with the "T"?

Ray Reavis, York, SC
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
No fuel pump..
Vacuum activated gravity feed.
There are rebuild kits for the petcock much cheaper. Diaphragm etc.
I have read you can open petcock and reverse Dia & spring???? For always open effect???
I think the rebuild kits are about $30/ $40??? Geezer syndrome....
Most likely Diaphragm is cracked from age/heat etc...
Mine is 2004 and am expecting it any time, plus a few other age related failures (like my mind memory etc).. lol

Here is a rebuild kit on Ebay $39....
A good place to start looking...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2009-Ho...-/252511478077

roadtripray likes this.

Last edited by frnkcat; 04-13-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM

Yes, I would get the rebuild kit rather than a whole valve if you really want to preserve the vacuum operation.
The T just allows the hose to drain, same idea as if you had your finger over a straw, it would hold fluid until you release the vacuum.
roadtripray likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page