• 1 Post By RODS X
  • 1 Post By wngd
  • 1 Post By KODIAK35
  • 1 Post By Falcon518

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thinking of switching to a car tire

Howdy y'all! I've got a 1300C, and have been thinkin about switching over to a car tire on the rear. I've seen a few done, so I know its possible. I've been doing a lot of highway travel lately, and not so much winding of backroads. Would love to get some first hand feedback, and start weighing the pros and cons of switching. Anyone have some input/advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Go here, all the feedback and info you can read;
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 PM

What Spike said. There are more on a CT than you would imagine.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 AM

I ran one on my 1300C for about 3 riding seasons. I rode the Dragon,the Snake ,the Rattler,the Diamondback & many other local curvy spots. So as you can see it's not a death sentence like the naysayers will tell you. The wear is simply incredible. My tire still looks 95% or better. BUT unlike others who sing the praises of the darkside I will tell you that it takes more effort to steer the bike, kind of like running a 240 rear tire kit.In other words more counter steering is needed. The bike will feel weird in large gravel. Also people will tell you that car tires are harder rubber & will not grip ..... I say BS on that ! I have NEVER found this to be the case. On a heavy cruiser this simply don't hold water. My take is that we have been ripped off for years by tire manufacturers using compounds that wear fast to sell more tires. I also have noticed that a few tires have hit the market like the Michelin Commander II that are rated as "high mileage". Not seen till LOTS of Gold Wing & heavy cruiser riders started going darkside. It is a personal choice that most make simply for the economy of the thing. I have since went back to a bike tire (Slapjack mod) with a 200 rear on an 1800 rear wheel for the looks & quicker handling of the bike tire. I have a nice rear 1300C rim with car tire mounted,polished brake rotor in super nice condition if you know anyone who wants to give this a try! One a last note ...... IF I was a "Flatlander" which is a total opposite to my area ,I would never take off that rear tire ! ....... Rod

rangers4u likes this.

Black 04 1300C with too much stuff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
I would say you have to pay attention to what you are doing. Its not a bike tire so it acts and responds differently. I have seen people riding under inflated car tires and its downright scary to watch the sidewall collapse as the bike goes through a turn. On the other hand a friend has a rides on one and goes like a bat outta hell, but he still leaves a nice mark on the path he follows in those turns. I have rode a bike so fitted and did not care for the handling, or lack of but the mileage is an interesting aspect.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM

I'm a convert among many that will never go back.

Better mileage yes, but better ride especially for passenger, better stopping in wet or gravel, rear end won't come out from under you. Better traction.

If you understand counter steering, I notice literally zero difference. I see NO negatives at all.
rangers4u likes this.

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:30 PM

I thought and thought about going to the darkside for several years, asking for feedback, reading forums, watching you tube videos, etc... Finally I just did it. My opinion is this, its not for every bike and not for every rider but it works for me.
rangers4u likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 PM

I love that fact that you have to pay attention, otherwise you become complacent and that can lead to tragedy.
rangers4u likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 1300R
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 AM

I'm not sure how it goes in the USA, but, in Europe, fitting a car tire in a motorcycle voids your MC insurance and riding with voided MC insurance is illegal. So, if you're involved in an accident and it's your fault, you have to pay it all (aside from heavy fines too). You may even go to prison if you happen to kill someone.

Even having differently-sized tires voids your MC insurance in Europe, unless you modify the wheels to have the new tires fit and report it to MOT (which is an expensive affair as it's seen by the MOT as re-designing the motorcycle). So be careful with that and know what your insurance will cover if you fit a CT. Given how many people do it in the USA, I would assume there's some clause that allows for it in most MC insurance policies.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page