Honda VTX Forum banner

Coolant Flush

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Colin Cruzen 
#1 ·
I just did my first coolant flush on my 2005 vtx 1300 s. I drained all the fluid and flushed the system. Then I filled the radiator to the top, ran it till it overflowed to get any air pockets out, and replaced the cap. I have closed up the rest of the system and made sure my reserve is in between the low and high lines. After running the bike for 10 mins or so, my temperature indicator is coming on. Does anybody have any idea what I might have done wrong?

#3 ·
In the future, don't do any "Flush" of any system in any vehicle. They are not needed and often they cause more problems as you are now experiencing. These flushes are nothing more than money making snake oils used to extract more money out of you. As long as you change your oil and coolant regularly there is no need for them

#4 ·
You have to burp the system properly to make sure no air pockets...here is a video of coolant change. Hope this helps:

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: RBS
#6 ·
Regardless of whether you used a flush or what kind of coolant was used, it shouldn't have overheated. Was the bike idling in the driveway or running down the road. When you burped the system, did you observe flow? Did the fan come on if you were running it in the driveway?
You filled at the rad cap under the tank?

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I don't think I should have used the word flush earlier. I did drain the system, run some water through the radiator cap and let it sit a drain for a while. Then I put the the drain plug back on and connected the hoses. After I filled the radiator and the reserve tank, I ran the bike with the radiator cap off long enough for it to warm up and for coolant to start bubbling out the radiator cap. I turned it off after it started overflowing and put the radiator cap back on. I was under the impression that this meant that my thermostat had opened up, and had run air bubbles out of the system. Then I ran the bike in the garage for about 10 or 15 minutes with the radiator cap back on and my temperature light came on.

#10 ·
Your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a moderator this helps keep spamming off the board. Until you've reached 5 posts please reply once and give the mods time to find and approve. There is a "Welcome New Members" board that makes it easier for a mod to find your posts. Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
I just did my Coolant replacement & few other little things (New Battery) while it was apart. So bare with me on my cluster frikkin journey!!! :(

Coolant, what a friggin PITA for starters....
I Used premixed PEAK 5 yr, after researching it to make sure it didnt have the bad juju in it. Supposed to be OK....

No way I can get to Cap and see whats going on, check level, add coolant etc with Tank raised ~ Had to take it off. No problem had it off many times...

Old coolant stuff (which looked fine) Drained well into my Oil pan and easy as stated by others..
This is going to be just fine, easy peasy - right??

I do have coolant in several spots on my nice Epoxy floor!!! OK..
Not from the drain into my oil pan though, from it running back down jug while I tried to pour it in...!!!
Finally fixed that with a large rag wrapped around container while I poured. OK

Overflow tank??? Heck of a place very hard to get to, could not get bottom hose off..
Calif model so have carbon container in the way (like a large soup can sideways to neutralize fumes so they dont get on any Liberals and send them to a safe place to recover!!!
Time to take it off anyway, did PAIR mod long ago... Now I have 3 lines I have no clue where they go to or what they do????? 2 large, one small Vacuum like hose..!!!????
Traced and followed them for a very long time into the jungle of VTX wires looms, hoses etc over the backbone!!.
Vacuum line was just overflow hose from tank, let it hang!!!
2 other larger ones are now cut & plugged and I DONT GIVE A F____ !!!
No clue what they do or where they come from.......

Getting old coolant from overflow tank ~ Another PITA, I ended up using a large syringe that I have used to fill final drive.. Long hose worked down fill opening & into tank ~ Suck it out!! About 4+ Syringes full... Filled back up same way to low mark ~ 4 full syringes.. OK...

Ahhaaaa An external remote fuel tank, great idea.. (not - at least in my case)..!!
Large clean plastic bottle (old syrup bottle). Epoxy hose into drilled hole in lid.. Wait overnight for it to dry!!!!!
Put some gas in, hang it from Mirror, insert hose into fuel line ~ this is going great.........
Crank it over WTF not starting??? Look over at rght side and gas is pouring out my Spike airfilter !!! WTF Bottle starts leaking !! WTF for 10tht time!!!!
OK bad idea.. Take it all down/apart and trash it.. Bottle to high?? to many air hole in it, float in Carb sticking for first time ever???
Going into stock fuel line, should work?? No idea what happened...

I now have, not only puddles of coolant, but also puddles of Gas on my nice clean Epoxy floor... No problem all this stuff just wipes up.... Paint, oil, gas everything so far, love it.....
Of course I now have the back door open and roll up door about 3/4 way up also so I dont die from the plethora of fumes I Have created !!!!!

Put tank back on !!!! Ahhhaaaa works like a charm, starts and runs for about 7 min, nice & warmed up, bubbling and overflowing some...

Note: while I was working on other things I topped the coolant off several times. I "assume" it was seeking level and air was coming out during that time, it would take about 1/4 to 1/2 cup each time, 4 or 5 times??...???

But I seem to have almost 1/3 of a gallon jug of coolant left????

Put cap back on. and proclaim I am FINISHED !!!

took it out for a ride today after I got the new 240 Amp Battery charged all the way up.. Ran good, no leaks (thats a plus). Overflow is a little over low mark now (hard to tell with it on Sidestand)?
Let it idle in drive for about 20 min after I got back, Fan did/would not come on. Not sure that a good thing or bad? No hot lights either..

So ~ I am going to declare and swear that PEAK is the ultimate Coolant and so good my engine will not get hot at all!!!!! So there......

I will probably never do this again, it was a nightmare for such a stupid little crappy job!!!!! (finger)........

Smile or we will all go to a bad place.. LOL
True story.... (yesterday and today in fact)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.