Honda VTX Forum banner

Lean Angle?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  GAVZDAD 
#1 ·
I have an 03 1300(was an S but now a "C Tro") My problem is the angle that the bike has when it's resting on the kick stand. The angle is very severe and looks like a little bit of a breeze will blow it over. I know others on here have done the C Tro mod (C wheels & tires on what was an S model) Can somebody tell me how I can make the angle while it's on the kick stand less. I already have a 1" acorn bolt thru the lower flange of the kick stand but it doesn't help much. ANY HELP will be MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks!

#3 ·
The parts finder tells us that they are the same part number from the S to the C. That just seems odd.

The C front wheel is 19" as opposed to the 17" S front wheel, but the S got a wider tire. 140x80x17 vs. 110x90x19. They used the same rear tire size. Overall the C front wheel is just a hair less than 1" taller, leaving your front axle just 1/2" further off the ground. With the rear axle the same distance, unless something is bent, it should not lean over all that much more. I dunno, seems odd to me.

#4 ·
I had the same problem. Turned out the hole the KS rotates in had become oval instead of round.

It was noticeable, as the ks touched the ground, the bike would continue to lean farther.

#5 ·
I have a CeeTro, but, added R fenders to my C model. I also have a ton of lean, but I have embraced it. Looks mean compared to other bikes. It doesn't feel like the thing is gonna ever let go. RBS' post makes me want to go check the KS hole, but if it's fine, be cool, lean. Other cats are jealous. Lean envy, even.
When I'm parked at home and want to work on it, I keep a chunk of 2x4 handy as an angle corrector.

#10 · (Edited)
Prolly an easy way to check:

Sit on the bike while it's in gear but not running, on a level surface.
Put the stand down, and slowly lower the bike to the stand.

Watch the stand when it hits the ground, the stand shouldn't have any play in it.

If the hole is out of round, a quick temporary fix is to replace the mounting bolt.
The only permanent fix I came up with is bring it to a good Welder, and have
him fill in the hole to make it round.

Unfortunately, the KS mounts to the frame- can't just replace a part.

Reactions: jamma
#6 ·
I don't understand. If your bike has such an angle, how is a little bit of breeze going to blow it over? If anything, that sucker is going to be a bull to wrestle when you park your bike on a slope.

I never knew how heavy these things are until a couple of weeks ago, when I had to park my bike quickly due to an emergency (sportbike rider crashed 100 feet in front of me; I rushed to attend him as first responder). I didn't think twice about parking vertical to the road on a slope (uphill) to go help the rider who crashed, but, when the ambulance came and all was done so I would go back to the bike, let's just say it's the only time I've asked for help to get my bike up from its stand.

Anyway, shorter shocks will reduce the lean of the bike when parked. Longer shocks will do the opposite. However, you need to go up or down 1 inch in shock length to notice a difference from what I've read in other forums. I have the 12.5 in 444 Prog. shocks (1/4 inch longer than stock) and feel no difference (they do ride A LOT better than stock shocks though).

#7 ·
I don't understand. If your bike has such an angle, how is a little bit of breeze going to blow it over? If anything, that sucker is going to be a bull to wrestle when you park your bike on a slope.

I never knew how heavy these things are until a couple of weeks ago, when I had to park my bike quickly due to an emergency (sportbike rider crashed 100 feet in front of me; I rushed to attend him as first responder). I didn't think twice about parking vertical to the road on a slope (uphill) to go help the rider who crashed, but, when the ambulance came and all was done so I would go back to the bike, let's just say it's the only time I've asked for help to get my bike up from its stand.

Anyway, shorter shocks will reduce the lean of the bike when parked. Longer shocks will do the opposite. However, you need to go up or down 1 inch in shock length to notice a difference from what I've read in other forums. I have the 12.5 in 444 Prog. shocks (1/4 inch longer than stock) and feel no difference (they do ride A LOT better than stock shocks though).

I agree with the hardly noticeable change with the 'lean'. I just reduced my back shocks by 1/2", but couldn't tell any difference with the kickstand. And I also agree that the RIDE of the bike, after installing the Progressive 430's, is like night & day!!!

#8 ·
Some people write, here on this forum, that the bike leans so much...so it WON'T fall over even if a tire(s) go flat.

I've never worried about the bike on the kick stand. I've still got stock shocks but did add a larger Rivco Side Stand Pad to the bottom of the kickstand. It almost doubles the foot print on the stand.

#9 ·
Tire size will make a difference in "lean angle". If you go "taller" on either front or back or both, it's going to make the bike LOOK like it's leaning way over, but it should still be fine. It takes a LOT to "break" the kickstand. Unless you're parking on soft pavement, where the kickstand could "sink" into the pavement, I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, if you put a thick "coaster" or two under the kickstand that could make the "lean" a little less noticeable.

#14 ·
Guess I could put some bricks in my Tsukayu bags to get above 250, or start eating A LOT MORE. lol

I would be interested in the HD 444s. Let me know what you would take.

I do take 2 and three day rides with additional luggage weight. Might be stiff on the short rides.

#16 ·
Well you already have one brick on each side of the bike. I'm assuming those are Tsukayu's VTX specific hardbags, which I too have. Those 2 bags alone would put you over 250lbs anyway. Add any other accessory and you're well over 250lbs.

One way to lessen the lean would be to slightly loosen the triple clamps around the forks, and raise the tubes up about an inch, or maybe even a half an inch. You could also put 1/2" shorter shocks in back, or even put some shorter spacers in your fork tubes.
About the shocks, I have 1/2 inch longer shocks (12.5) and I didn't feel a difference in the lean of the bike. I've been lurking Harley forums where they have a surprising huge amount of info on this topic and their consensus is that you need at least 1 inch either way (shorter or longer) to affect lean angle of the bike. There are threads with picture comparisons too.

I thought loosening up the triple clamps was a Harley-only thing. Can we do that on our bikes safely to gain some extra height on the front?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.