• 2 Post By heffly
  • 2 Post By Charlie D
  • 2 Post By leroys73

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel / mileage

Question everyone.
I am always concerned about running out of fuel. Just nags me. Does anyone have a fuel gauge cap? How is it working for you?
I try to fuel up before the 150 mark but I was wondering how much further I could push it in case I'm out in an emergency.

Rubber side down!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Fuel capacity is (in most 1300) 4.9 gal. With 1.1 gal reserve..
I am looking for a fill up at around 100/120 (butt need a rest & I feel safer), but have hit reserve several times.
Most here keep trip meter miles for every fill up, Reset and go..
So if I look down and it says 80 Mi, im safe for a while, if it says 130 I look for a station..
I average 40/42 MPG but in high wind, slow city, mtns or 'hot rod' faze it drops drastically.
Have gotten as low as 34/35 mpg. as high as 48 mpg...
I never say I get XX on a tank?? It tells me nothing at all.
I figure miles & gal's used to 'know' what its doing....

Let me add that I ride in the open desert hwy's many times.
There are no stations for 50 miles sometimes. SO I have developed the habit of keeping it as full as possible when convenient......

leroys73, heffly, Q_Ball and 1 others like this.

Last edited by frnkcat; 05-07-2017 at 02:43 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Garage
Practice flipping the fuel tank petcock lever from normal to reserve a few times.
When you get familiar with with you have less to worry and can switch over in a few seconds and keep going.
In the previous minute before lean out pop I can feel it losing power.
I can range from 130 to 170 miles on main tank, usually 130 - 160 miles.
On reserve I figure 40 more miles to go.
Q_Ball likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Garage
I now have an eztra 2.4 gallons so I am really ready for a fuel stop....lol. I would always fuel around 135, or the next station after hitting reserve. For me reserve IS my fuel gauge, it says.....time to get fuel!
rangers4u and nate6966 like this.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I have gotten 178 on a tank and 80 on a tank this is to reserve.
So with that said the only option is run to reserve and find a station.
Q_Ball and frnkcat like this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post
I am looking for a fill up at around 100/120 (butt need a rest & I feel safer), but have hit reserve several times.
So if I look down and it says 80 Mi, im safe for a while, if it says 130 I look for a station..
I average 40/42 MPG but in high wind, slow city, mtns or 'hot rod' faze it drops drastically.

There are no stations for 50 miles sometimes. SO I have developed the habit of keeping it as full as possible when convenient...... .
This is pretty much my experience as well. It really depends on the type of riding that you are doing but as a "general" rule I get about 150-160 miles before I have to hit my reserve. I usually start looking for a gas station when I hit 100-120 miles just to be on the safe side. I usually get the same 40/42 MPG so on reserve I can run another 70-80 miles before she starts to chugg out on me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Meezazu, no fuel gauge or cap here. As far as MPG, I am like most, as low as 30 as high as mid 50s. I will say unless I am fighting a strong wind even when I am heavily loaded and running an honest 70-80 MPH, which is about 77 to 88 MPH on the speedometer, I still get in the mid 30s mpg. So if I base my worst case range on the low of 30 and 4.8 gallons my range is 144 miles before I start walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post

There are no stations for 50 miles sometimes. SO I have developed the habit of keeping it as full as possible when convenient......

You are right on with my experience also. Unless familiar where the next station is 100 miles good advice.

If I fill the tank to the max, I figure a max of 130 miles (if not running my auxiliary tank) before reserve. Then on reserve I figure on only 30 miles left just in case I am fighting a wind. If in doubts of the next station I slow way down if I go on reserve.

Soon after buying my X I ran out of fuel. I had planned my fuel stops but fell a little short on this one. That was because I did not allow for the wind in west Texas. Fortunately I coasted down a hill resulting in only pushing it about a mile. I swore it would never happen again so I monitor the fuel very closely and conservatively.
Meezazu and Tex75 like this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm68 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 127k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour

Last edited by leroys73; 05-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page