Plug Wires...are they all 'screwed' together? - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By korbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Plug Wires...are they all 'screwed' together?

G'day -
I have been playing with the fouled plug syndrome for awhile, and every time I find that the left side rear plug is usually darker and than the other 3. The right side rear plug is also a tad bit darker that the front plugs, but appears to be normal and firing. I get the additional vibration "feeling" (butt dyno thing) that one of the plugs isn't firing, and it is usually the left rear that shows up darker when I pull the plugs. I clean the plug up, and put it back and continue on until she me gives that "feeling" again.
My question is about the left rear plug wire... the wire goes into the boot at an angle...is this wire also 'screwed' in? I can't see how because of the angle entry to the boot.
I have some plugs on order and plan on changing all four (do it every 2 to 3 years anyway). Just would like to know if I should be looking elsewhere.

thanks
korbo

'05 VTX1300C, BadX'd, CTR'd, Natl Cycle 2up, progressive front springs, NEW AVONS and DYNABEEDS(2nd try, Love em both!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 PM

They're all the same. Unscrew the boot and trim a little off the wire. I would'nt put too much stock in plug color. Is the bike stock, what's the jetting? Have you cleaned the common electrical ground at the front coil?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:26 AM

when you say darker.. what part are you refering to? is the gap damp or slippery/slimy at all? Not blowing smoke or such?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies...
The color is on the ceramic portion of the plug, and although the rear jug is always darker on both, my left side was much darker, NOT coated with gas or oil. I have cleaned it up a bit and also tried 'screwing down' into the boot a little to see if that would make a difference. I also noticed that the boot 'internal clamp'(don't know what to call it) was not making a tight connection, so I squeezed that a bit with pliers to give it that snap sound when putting it back on.
(side note...Donnie, I thought the front coil ground was only for the front plugs...am I wrong?) the front plugs are firing fine.

I took her out for a short run, and she sputtered a little, but after warming up she was fine.

Going to take her to work today, and see how she responds.
Bike is bone stock, never touched the carb (except the a/f screw, out 2 to 2 1/4 turns.) I think I am going to bring it back to 2 and see if that helps too. She may be running a tad bit rich.

korbo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:56 AM

If you're using the "choke" don't as it will just foul plugs. Make sure it's pushed in all the way also.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Tonight I was able to take the bike out for a ride, and I am pleased to report that she is firing on all plugs again! So it was either cleaning and regapping the left rear plug, and / or the screwing of the plug wire into the boot approximately 1/2 of a turn (thats all she would let me do)...

thanks to all for replies -
frnkcat likes this.

'05 VTX1300C, BadX'd, CTR'd, Natl Cycle 2up, progressive front springs, NEW AVONS and DYNABEEDS(2nd try, Love em both!!!)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN0 View Post
If you're using the "choke" don't as it will just foul plugs. Make sure it's pushed in all the way also.
I was told not to use the coke because it would foul the plugs. But bike spits and spuders, so now I use the coke for 15 seconds and let it in half way. By the time I get to the end of my street I push it all the way in and the engine purrs. No bucking or spitting. My bike is cold natured even here in Florida in the summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page