1300S Carb - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By frnkcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

1300S Carb

I have been have issues with this bike for a while, I have learned not to let just anyone work on this bike also, I had to drop my exhaust and install o rings because the one I traded my oem pipes with for the vance and hines longshots installed them without replacing or using o rings .

I read the great write up on cleaning the carb and when I saw the picture of the oem and dyno jet needles, I just realized I had a dyno jet needle the previous owner did, but never told me. I did some reading on dyno jet and apparently the lock washer and spacer washer are supposed to be on the fourth notch not the third, mine is 3rd. I guess this is why I get spit and sputter occasionaly and have lean/rich issues that i can't seem to even out. I may just tear down the carb and clean/inspect it while I'm there. My issue is is the fourth notch really correct? I have the stock air breather but with k&n filter and aftermarket pipes, my air breather cover has a rather large hole in it for some reason, looks professional cut, looks like a x in a way but more like an hour glass. When I can afford one, I plan on buying a new cover oem, wish I could afford a hyper charger, LOL!

So what setup should I set my carb to for this? I do have the Glen Devries a/f setup , its a cable that hangs next to the idle adjustment so I can adjust when I want. Here is a video from last night when it was running better though, tried to get video when rough, will try tomorrow.

Reno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

I've moved your thread from the How To board to the 1300 Riders board where you will get help. The How To board is for threads showing How To do something.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard..
I would recommend you get a new Jet Set "Factory Pro Stage 3"..
The dyno jets are very hard to work with, although some have had success.
With stock cover and filter element you dont need much jetting at all??
The needle setting is done in a sequence when jetting..
Read this...

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.ph...t-affects-what

It may help some..

heffly likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
So what setup should I set my carb to for this? I do have the Glen Devries a/f setup , its a cable that hangs next to the idle adjustment so I can adjust when I want. Here is a video from last night when it was running better though, tried to get video when rough, will try tomorrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVuMaJZ_vA

Reno
Depends what the main is. If thats wrong the bike will never be right. You cant begin jetting at the needle, and certainly not by twiddling Glens knob.

With any jet kit, you start with the main that runs best at WOT. Then dial in the needle for best midrange. Last and leastly, the A/F adjustment.

BUT, its pointless to do any of that if you are changing intakes.
My advise, Blow off mothers day tomorrow (your mom, wife, or both will get over it) and instead use the cash to get your hypercharger and a jet kit, then read up on jetting and start from scratch.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:08 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 AM

You have a hole cut in the intake due to the K & N filter. With the K & N, you must rejet the carb for greater air flow. that's why you are on a different notch. You need a jet kit with instructions or a mechanic that knows what he is doing. I ran K & N on my 02 Suzuki Intruder 800. It made a big difference. My 05 1300 VTX runs very well with no Mods for carburation.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:03 PM

Garage
I would say you are starting from scratch. It will be the best policy IMHO. My bike hated the K&N until I did the scar and some A/F adjusting. It still wants more fuel. But I will probably go back to stock filter after I dirty this filter up some.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM

I researched the dyno jet, found instructions and according to what I read the spacer and lock washer should be at notch #4 from top for my setup, so I did this and it seems to be better. With the crazy weather here I have not test rode it yet. Will at first chance. But cold start idle on cold night or warm day I do not need my choke anymore, hesitation and popping in exhaust seems to be gone, but a good 10 minute ride is needed. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Took it out for a long hard ride, and I mean hard. No issues! That's all it was, move to fourth notch!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page