Tire Shopping - 1300S - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By heffly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Tire Shopping - 1300S

Bought my 1300S on 08/18/14 with 10,722 miles, original tires still on it, they were toast, dry and cracked. 1st real ride out of the neighborhood was to put on new tires, went with Dunlop stock replacements, 404 on front and 555 on rear. Now @ 23,063 miles, 12,300 on this 1st set so far decent mileage from what I've read, always very meticulous about tire pressures. Front is OK, but rear is pretty well done, losing confidence in hard cornering and harder than normal braking.

Been tire shopping, thinking about Michelin Commander II's, looking for input on a new set.

Hot and dry in Florida!

'07 1300S Titanium, Memphis Shade, Honda Line bags, Boss Audio MC500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM

I would urge you to go to the various tire manufacturers websites and see who has a tire specified for your bike. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, Shinko, Avon, Continental, Kenda, and etc, and compare their pluses and minuses.

Personally if you are satisfied with the Dunlops, why change? Unless you just want to try something different!

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Have checked the various manufacturer sites, many have replacements. Michelin Commander II's have a direct fit and seem to have good reviews from what I've found. Just want to try something different, price point is only about $35 more than Dunlops.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Garage
I would like to try the Michelins as well, but every time I am buying tires Metzeler has a sale and I end up with another pair of Metzelers. I havent used anything else so I cant really say whats best. I paid 191.00 for my last set of Metzelers so for the money they just cant be beat,...IMHO. I have put about 61000 miles on the bike and have gotten from 17000 per set to a more realistic 12000. I think my average is about 14500-15000. Its not a perfect tire but is good in the rain, I have slid a few times on tar snakes, wet road and recovered so I cant say anything bad about them..........Jake Wilson is my best tire store so far....

I like the thought that a 1300 S will corner hard....funny. Mine starts dragging floorboards pretty quick.....keeps me out of trouble....where the hell did you find a corner in Florida?...lol
frnkcat likes this.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart

Last edited by heffly; 05-12-2017 at 05:56 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, could probably get another 1000-2000 on this set, but don't want to push them to far.

1st set of Dunlops were $473 all in with installed with new rim strips & tubes and balance, Michelin Commander IIs are $509 all in.

My floorboards are pretty scraped up too, good reminder that you may be pushing it a bit.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadunk View Post
Thanks, could probably get another 1000-2000 on this set, but don't want to push them to far.

1st set of Dunlops were $473 all in with installed with new rim strips & tubes and balance, Michelin Commander IIs are $509 all in.

My floorboards are pretty scraped up too, good reminder that you may be pushing it a bit.
OMG I am so glad I dont have to deal with that......for this set of tires...191.00, Tubes, balance, mounting 80.00. "Ride on" will cost about 27.00. I remove the wheels from the bike and put back on myself. So that saves a few bucks. All in about 300 for the set ready for the open road,.....for me. I have about 12000 on my rear I have about 3-4 mm before the center of tire groove disappears. So about another 1000 miles and it will be time.
On another note I worry more about instate speeds and hot tires for failure than edge grip in a turn. I havent even come close to wearing out the edges of the tire. Now if I lived in NC, Virgina, I might get r dun....but too many miles upright.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart

Last edited by heffly; 05-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:26 PM

I had a metzeler put on the rear tire a couple months back. Great tire so far. I rode the three sisters a few weeks ago and I was getting great grip on those tight curves. I will be mounting a metzeler on the front when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 AM

Have used both the Mezzler and the Michelin Commander II as a rear tire. Put about 18000 miles on both. Have a Shinko on the front and it has about 12000 on it woth some to go. Will replace it this Summer with a Michelin so the set will match.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 PM

I currently have a set of Metzler 880's on my bike, however they are getting just a bit long in the tooth and I am starting to check into a replacement set. A couple of folkes I know who own VTX 1300's, tried the 888's and their report is that they are great on a long distance strait/dry run but really stink in the rain. The best tire I have had for cornering & rain was the Dunlop 555 - Thinking about going back to those. Just wish I could get more miles out of a set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page